Packing List - question for the guys

Avril

This is a question for the guys (and girls if you pack for your male SO). I'm going in December of 2016 and it will be my BF's 1st cruise. :D I'm trying to make a packing list for him (want to do this far enough ahead of time so he can buy things if he needs/wants to) but I'm having trouble since I've only ever packed for a woman (me). So, for all the male cruisers out there, what do you pack for your cruise (clothes wise)? We do like to dress up for dinner (well, I do, he's just going to have to suck it up if he doesn't, haha:p) so I know about a suit and/or tux but what else? For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on the male packing list, lol. We're going on the Sunshine if it makes a difference and have late seating in the MDR.

Thanks in advance!! :D

I understand wanting to look nice and dress up but a tux or a complete suit is really not necessary and will make packing more difficult. Slacks and a nice jacket will be much easier(IMO)

Other than that don't you think he could pack his own clothing for a vacation??:shorts, swim suit underwear shaving stuff shoes for dress/athletic shoes/sandals and that's it. What else would he need and why can't he figure this out for himself? He is not a baby or a child.

2 pair of underwear per day

2 pair of shorts per day

1 swim trunks

2 t-shirts per day

1 pair of sweat/jogging pants

Shave Kit, Contact case/solution, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, sunscreen.

Flip Flops.

Sneakers.

That's it. I'm having fun, not wasting time at playing dress up.

It's his vacation too, don't make him dress up if he doesn't want to, talk to him.

Edited by poison7fl

I understand wanting to look nice and dress up but a tux or a complete suit is really not necessary and will make packing more difficult. Slacks and a nice jacket will be much easier(IMO)

Other than that don't you think he could pack his own clothing for a vacation??:shorts, swim suit underwear shaving stuff shoes for dress/athletic shoes/sandals and that's it. What else would he need and why can't he figure this out for himself? He is not a baby or a child.

I know that suits and/or tuxes aren't technically required but even though I'm only 30 (will be 32 when we sail), I'm an old fashioned cruiser and take Formal Nights (and dressing like you're going to a good/fancy restaurant the other nights) deeply to heart. I'm guessing he'll wear dress pants and a jacket (or maybe just a shirt and tie) on the non Formal (sorry, Elegant) nights.

I'm not going to pack for him, just want to give him suggestions on what to pack since he's never been on a cruise before and so has no idea what to pack. I'm just trying to help the poor guy out a bit!! :D I'm not treating him like a baby or child and I never would. Don't you appreciate a little help/advice if you're doing something new? I know I sure do!!

2 pair of underwear per day

2 pair of shorts per day

1 swim trunks

2 t-shirts per day

1 pair of sweat/jogging pants

Shave Kit, Contact case/solution, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, sunscreen.

Flip Flops.

Sneakers.

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!! :D

I'm working on my packing list right now. I normally pack for my DH as he travels for business quite a bit and it's just easier for me to take care of it. It seems like he is always traveling right before we cruise so he really doesn't have time and it's less stressful for me if I do it.

We are on a 7 night cruise. We normally spend sea days in our swimsuits and then change right into our dinner clothes. On excursion days, depending on what we do, we will need a "clothes outfit" or swimsuits / tees & cover-ups. I find it easiest to pack with an itinerary in front of me so that I know exactly what I am doing each day. I do not want to overpack!

Dinner clothes are listed first on my list.

Embarkation Night: Same thing he boards the ship in.

Night #2 (Elegant): Suit, shirt, tie

Night #3: Black Dockers w/shirt

Night #4: Blue Dockers w/shirt

Night #5: Black Dockers w/shirt (same pants as #3)

Night #6 (Elegant): Suit, shirt, tie (same suit as #2)

Night #7: Blue Dockers w/shirt (same pants as #4)

He will bring 2 or 3 swimsuits and 4 outfits (nice shorts/shirts) and 2 or 3 extra tees with basketball-type shorts. He will wear his sneakers and pack his dress shoes and sandals or flip-flops.

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!! :D

Yeah, I am pretty simple nowadays.... Can't dress up anymore... it cuts into my fun time.

Pack light, there are laundry facilities if needed... Bring detergent sheets, and $6 in quarters ($3 for Wash, $3 for Dry) I like the detergent sheets because you can place them around the room as an air freshener.

Edited by poison7fl

Depends on the length of sailing, but for a 7 day sailing typically:

4 pairs of dress pants, including at least 1 black pair

3 pairs of 'formal' shoes (including 1 black pair)

At least 1 jacket

8 collared shirts (long and short sleeved)

7 polo shirts

4 t shirts

3 pairs of formal shorts

3 pairs of swim shorts

7 pairs of black socks

4 pairs of white socks for trainers

3 pairs of trainers

1 pair water shoes

2 pairs of gym shorts and associated t shirts

2 belts

2 pairs of underwear per day

Sun hat

Flip flops

Mmm, this is the start of my packing list for our 2 cruises starting in 11 days time! :D

Edited by peteukmcr

I ALWAYS have a TUX for formal nights, suit and tie for other nights. But that's just me. I pay tribute to the beauty of the ship and hard-working staff, and look the part. Sadly, these days we're slumming down dress-wise, but I never will. Sorry!!

DH is on the other side of things.

Two pair Dockers

7 'Hawaiian' or Guayaberas shirts

Leather walking shoes

sandals (maybe)

Trunks

Underwear

Many guys will wear Dockers, dress shirt and either a tie or jacket for Cruise Elegant nights.

We have, and will continue to dress formal every cruise. I "tux" it on all formal nights. My DW and I usually match our outfits. A black tux/suit w/ color coordinated shirts and ties don't take up much room. Since most of the cruise is in shorts/bathing suits, that takes care of most days. I bring 2 pair of slacks and nicer shirts to pair w/ them. Since most days are in sandals I don't pack a great deal of white socks. Black socks for the evening. Shoes are the tennies I travel in, sandals and dress shoes. Couple pairs of shorts and bathing suits. Tees and tanks for day time. I usually by some as souvenirs. I have been trying to pack minimally for the last several cruises but still repack clean clothes. I always tell new cruisers they will over pack. We try to pack so we can bring a few things back. Being the guy side of the packing formula, I have less clothes than my DW. Last point I live by. If I miscalculate, no biggie. There are washing machines. Have fun!

2 pr Dockers, 7 briefs, 7 tees, 4 polo, 2 shorts, 2 swim suits, hat, sox, water shoes.

Plus whatever I wear on the plane that morning.

On Celebrity I would wear my tux, not on Carnival any more.

I keep it simple and remind myself that I'm not moving, just cruising.

The old advice about putting everything you think you will want on the bed, and then putting half of it back still works wonders.

Depends on the length of sailing, but for a 7 day sailing typically:

4 pairs of dress pants, including at least 1 black pair

3 pairs of 'formal' shoes (including 1 black pair)

At least 1 jacket

8 collared shirts (long and short sleeved)

7 polo shirts

4 t shirts

3 pairs of formal shorts

3 pairs of swim shorts

7 pairs of black socks

4 pairs of white socks for trainers

3 pairs of trainers

1 pair water shoes

2 pairs of gym shorts and associated t shirts

2 belts

2 pairs of underwear per day

Sun hat

Flip flops

Mmm, this is the start of my packing list for our 2 cruises starting in 11 days time! :D

WOW! That's a lot of clothes for a week.

For a 7 day cruise DH takes:

3 polos

1 pair khaki slacks

1 black suit

2 dress shirts

2 ties

3 pair of shorts

5 t shirts

7 pair socks

7 pair underwear

3 dress socks

tennis shoes

sport sandals

dress shoes

2 swim trunks

1 pair basketball shorts

1 track jacket

He wears jeans a tshirt and a button down overshirt, plus usually dockers or chuck taylors. He's set for the week with one carryon size suitcase and a suit bag.

Agreed Lou. Tux for formal, suit for informal.

Oops, informal was Holland America.

For CCL Tux, and a sport coat for when I want the right look for the ladies.:D

Plus I like to wear ties.

So on the regular nights I have a dress shirt and slacks.

Believe it or not, my tux weighs less than a pair of levis cargo shorts.

How is packing slacks and a jacket easier than a suit?

I am going on my 4th cruise in July and I have overpacked on the previous three and I fear I will on the upcoming one as well, although hoping I won't.

On the previous cruises, I took my suit as a carry on so I had it for formal night with the tie and without the tie for the second less dressy dinner. I also took a pair of khakis for the other dinners. I brought 3 polos with me the first three times. No suit this time but taking 2 khakis and a nice button up to wear with a tie on "cruise ship prom night". I do plan on taking 2-3 different casual button shirts (kind of like what Charlie Sheen wore on Two and a Half Men).

Other than that 5 pairs of shorts, 3-4 socks, enough underwear for 2 per day, both bathing suits, flip flops. I will wear my sneakers on embarkation day (saves on room in the bag) and might wear windpants on embarkation day so I have those handy if need be.

Shaving Kit with toiletries (toothbrush, razor, deodorant, toothpaste)

Kindle

Sunscreen

After Burn Spray (it is inevitable)

Dress Shoes

Belt

Phillies hat (always)

sunglasses

This is a question for the guys (and girls if you pack for your male SO). I'm going in December of 2016 and it will be my BF's 1st cruise. :D I'm trying to make a packing list for him (want to do this far enough ahead of time so he can buy things if he needs/wants to) but I'm having trouble since I've only ever packed for a woman (me). So, for all the male cruisers out there, what do you pack for your cruise (clothes wise)? We do like to dress up for dinner (well, I do, he's just going to have to suck it up if he doesn't, haha:p) so I know about a suit and/or tux but what else? For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on the male packing list, lol. We're going on the Sunshine if it makes a difference and have late seating in the MDR.

Some quick notes:

* Guys are a lot easier to pack for than ladies, IMHO. They don't (usually) need a lot of makeup or require a bunch of shoes, among other things.

* Has the boyfriend been to the Caribbean before? Packing for a cruise isn't that much different than packing for a vacation on land.

* Is he dressing to impress you? None of the other passengers or crew will care if he dresses in the same outfit twice, or more. That can make a big difference in how much to pack.

* You can actually rent formal wear for the cruise. That would save some room if you're willing to do that.

* Do either of you have the stomach to do laundry mid-cruise? There are a couple of options for this, and it would save a lot of room if you're up for it.

* How sensitive is the boyfriend to semi-cool air? It can be a little chilly in Port Canaveral, the Bahamas, and the ship - especially at night.

Learned my lesson on my first cruise about overpacking. Personally, I spend more time out in the sun/beach/pool then inside.

For a week long cruise, I've slimmed it down to:

1 pair of jeans

1 pair of khakis

2 casual dress shirts, usually wear one embarking and wear one debarking. Can also wear during formal nights.

2 casual shorts, usually wear in

1 cap, wear in

3/4 swim shorts

4 t-shirts

4 pair of socks

4 pair of underwear(exofficio is best for traveling)

1 pair of sandals

1 pair of sneakers usually wear in

1 pair of casual dress shoes (I hate dressing up, so I go minimal for the MDR in formal nights)

1 light rain jacket

If you run out of clothes during the week, you can always throw a load in the washer/dryer for under $10.

Toiletries: Deodorant, Contact case/solution, tooth brush/paste, shaving gear, 50 and 15 spf sunscreen, Aloe(very important), meds if any.

Other stuff:

Snorkel gear

Gopro camera

IPAD

PS VITA

Kindle

Passport

Chargers w/power strip

Earbuds

Regular glasses

Sunglasses

Carnival lanyard(I reuse the one I got on my first cruise)

Insulated coffee mug

Cash-small bills for tipping mostly

Booze, if you're pirating... arrrggghhh!

Edited by mrneil001

WOW, thanks everyone!! :D I'm going away for a few days (not on a cruise unfortunately) but when I get back, I'm going to start organizing all these thoughts and ideas into one list. This is one of the reasons I love CC, so many wonderful, helpful people!! :D

I ALWAYS have a TUX for formal nights, suit and tie for other nights. But that's just me. I pay tribute to the beauty of the ship and hard-working staff, and look the part. Sadly, these days we're slumming down dress-wise, but I never will. Sorry!!

I with ya loubetti, 100%!! :D Always have, always will. It's really sad to see the tradition and elegance of cruising to out the window (or should I say, out to sea, haha). :( I ALWAYS wear a floor length (occasionally knee length) formal gown on Formal Nights (I refuse to call them Elegant Nights) and a semi-formal dress on other nights. :D I love to see the Gentlemen in their tuxes, they look amazing!! Sadly, I have seen guys go into the MDR on Formal Night who seem to have the impression that Formal mean blue jean with no holes, golf/polo shirts (sometimes even t-shirts), and either sneakers/running shoes or flip-flops. :eek: That's fine for the buffet but not the MDR (on any night but especially Formal Night).

Over the years I have begun to pare down quite a bit. I bring one pair of underwear per day. One T-shirt per day. Two swim trunks. Three pair of long pants since I don't wear them for long each evening. One collared shirt per day sometimes less. I usually bring a dark suit but you can rent a tux for formal night if you wish on board. Socks. Dress shoes. Another casual pair of shoes and flip flops. Shaving kit. Hat. Suntan lotion. Something to sleep in if he needs it.

Over the years I have begun to pare down quite a bit. I bring one pair of underwear per day. One T-shirt per day. Two swim trunks. Three pair of long pants since I don't wear them for long each evening. One collared shirt per day sometimes less. I usually bring a dark suit but you can rent a tux for formal night if you wish on board. Socks. Dress shoes. Another casual pair of shoes and flip flops. Shaving kit. Hat. Suntan lotion. Something to sleep in if he needs it.

I believe this is no longer an option on Carnival ships - I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.