Disembarkation at Civitavecchia/ Rome port

The Hotel Guy

Does Delta and American airlines have a curb side check-in at the ship when we disembark in Civitavecchia on Oct 23, 2015. We've seen this service at some ports.

We know that they are not offering "Luggage Valet" so we are hoping for the ship side service to speed the check-in at FCO.

ChoiceAir has most of us on 11:15am flights back home and I'm hoping we will make it.

Thanks for your responses!

Does Delta and American airlines have a curb side check-in at the ship when we disembark in Civitavecchia on Oct 23, 2015. We've seen this service at some ports.

We know that they are not offering "Luggage Valet" so we are hoping for the ship side service to speed the check-in at FCO.

ChoiceAir has most of us on 11:15am flights back home and I'm hoping we will make it.

Thanks for your responses!

There isn't any speedy check in Rome for international flights, there are multiple check ins at a remote terminal and then a bus ride to the departure terminal. The lines can get very long. My suggestion is to do early walk off with your luggage and arrange for a car to pick you up at the tent by the dock. You will be ahead of the crowd and you won't worry about the slow moving lines. 11:15 won't be a problem

Plus 1 for Cruising Tiger. It is a bit of a ride from the port to the airport. We had a group of 8 from our roll call and we all just did the walk off met our driver and were at FCO in plenty of time for those with 11am flights. The lines are indeed long and slow, it is just the way they do it there. You have to wait until they open the check in lanes for your specific flight. Highly recommend Rome Cabs for this, our driver was right there waiting for us as we came off the ship despite the early hour.

The good news is there is usually no customs or immigration. Nothing! The bad is it is sort of chaotic at the port. Shuttle buses on your right and private vans on the left with signs - lots of them. It is a long drive to the airport. An hour is things go well with traffic and more if it does not. Check in at the airport is easy and customs and security at the airport just like in the US. Either it is fast or the lines are long and it is very slow. Impossible to predict.

There are lots of discussions on every roll call for ships heading to Rome and also under ports. Shared vans are definately cheaper and nicer.

The good news is there is usually no customs or immigration. Nothing! The bad is it is sort of chaotic at the port. Shuttle buses on your right and private vans on the left with signs - lots of them. It is a long drive to the airport. An hour is things go well with traffic and more if it does not. Check in at the airport is easy and customs and security at the airport just like in the US. Either it is fast or the lines are long and it is very slow. Impossible to predict.

There are lots of discussions on every roll call for ships heading to Rome and also under ports. Shared vans are definately cheaper and nicer.

Have you been to Rome since the fire last spring? It's a mess.

Since the OP is looking to travel nonstop to the US on a US carrier (said DL or AA), it will be T5 for them, not another terminal. That should bypass a bit of the "mess" from the fire in T3 - they will do all their processing in T5. Now, if they were traveling first to a Schengen country for a connection to a US flight, yes, it could be "interesting".

Did you check in at T5 and then bussed to another terminal airside? I'm just trying to understand how it was a mess from that situation. FCO, like any large international airport, can be confusing to someone not accustomed to that airport. I usually fly either AZ nonstop to the US or to a Schengen country, so I never have to visit T5 - just go directly to T3 or T1. It was T3 for me this past May; once past check-in and Security/passport control, it was no more messy than any other large airport (and I used to have to travel through JFK during the T4 rebuild!).

I just don't want people to panic if it isn't needed regarding negotiating their way at FCO. Does anyone have specific information on how it is now going through T5 to your flights?

Since the OP is looking to travel nonstop to the US on a US carrier (said DL or AA), it will be T5 for them, not another terminal. That should bypass a bit of the "mess" from the fire in T3 - they will do all their processing in T5. Now, if they were traveling first to a Schengen country for a connection to a US flight, yes, it could be "interesting".

Did you check in at T5 and then bussed to another terminal airside? I'm just trying to understand how it was a mess from that situation. FCO, like any large international airport, can be confusing to someone not accustomed to that airport. I usually fly either AZ nonstop to the US or to a Schengen country, so I never have to visit T5 - just go directly to T3 or T1. It was T3 for me this past May; once past check-in and Security/passport control, it was no more messy than any other large airport (and I used to have to travel through JFK during the T4 rebuild!).

I just don't want people to panic if it isn't needed regarding negotiating their way at FCO. Does anyone have specific information on how it is now going through T5 to your flights?

Not trying to create panic-- I was flying through Montreal and don't remember the terminal. IN MY EXPERIENCE, it was MUCH more chaotic than other international terminals-- both before and after security.

Not trying to create panic-- I was flying through Montreal and don't remember the terminal. IN MY EXPERIENCE, it was MUCH more chaotic than other international terminals-- both before and after security.

If you were on one of the Canadian airlines, you may have gone out of T3. After your departure, some of those airlines were temporarily relocated to T5 to alleviate some of the pressure of processing through T3.

I flew in and out of FCO in June (not too long after the fire) and didn't find it any more chaotic than normal, nor did it seem any more chaotic than other airports (CDG, AMS) I've recently transited.

You just have to allow time for the extra screening in T5.

Just flew back on September 16th and was no different than two years ago. I fly FCO to Amsterdam so that may be a different terminal than others have flown from. Also i fly out at 615am so i may also be way ahead of the impending madness. Larry

I flew in and out of FCO in June (not too long after the fire) and didn't find it any more chaotic than normal, nor did it seem any more chaotic than other airports (CDG, AMS) I've recently transited.

You just have to allow time for the extra screening in T5.

I was hoping you would chime in, since I knew you were at FCO just post-fire.

I may be a very odd duck - FCO, CDG (haven't transited through AMS yet), FRA - none seem more chaotic than ATL. I actually ENJOY transiting through CDG. I fly SkyTeam 99% of the time, so my transits are colored by the terminals those airlines use at various airports. But even using SkyTeam doesn't ease the pain of JFK. I did a transit at LHR once, 3 years ago; AA to Kenya Airways. Not pleasant at all - now, THAT place could be confusing if you were changing airlines and terminals and did not explicitly follow every sign you saw!