Pacific Aria - only shower over bath in Balcony cabins!

ratacake

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I were planning a trip on the Aria next year, and we did all our homework, worked out prices and deposits, and made a firm decision to book with P&O.

I went to all the websites, looked at deck plans, and rang one of the big online agents. We had some email discussions with them, and chose a cabin. We had a Future Cruise Deposit from an earlier cruise, and used that for the deposit.

All wonderful so far - but then I looked at yet another online agent and was horrified to discover that their ads said there were only showers over the bath in all the Balcony Cabins. I have a limited mobility problem in that I can't bend one knee well, and I cannot get into or out of a bath (and I'm only 70!). We had just assumed that because the Aria was a refit, that there would be walk in shower stalls. (I don't need a fully accessible cabin).

I contacted P&O, thinking surely this is wrong, but I got fobbed off for a while before their rep. admitted that they only had "jacuzzi" baths with shower over, and I would have to climb in and out. (I have a transcript of the conversation).

Apparently the only walk in showers are in the Outside and Inside cabins!!

Sooooooooo, If you're infirm, elderly or have a disability, DON'T BOOK A BALCONY ON ARIA! :(

Disappointed and angry too - we could have paid our deposit unknowing there were unusable (to me) bathrooms. The big agency we used didn't know either, they were horrified and said they'd have to email or contact the people who'd booked to check they could use the baths.:confused:

DISAPPOINTED in your lack of information P&O. Naughty, naughty for omitting the facts from all the ads you've put onto the market for the "new" Aria.:mad::mad::mad:

ratacake

Ratacake,

If you are ok with an Outside as it has a shower, have a look at deck 6, think they call it Lower Promenade. There are 4 extra large outside cabins aft (the last ones)

At least you can have access to a lovely deck area, thats my pick for an inside/outside on those ships.

I remember reading on the HAL board that the balconies only had showers in the bath, bit of a bugger if you cant get in and out.

Chez

Yep all the HAL ships I've been on all balcony and all with shower over the bath. To be honest haven't struggled with them as I thought I would. The have 2 rails for you to hang on if need be. But to be honest much prefer separate showers, no worries about slipping when wet and sea is rough!

I think there are 2 balcony cabins on Aria (and Eden) that have shower only. 9186 and 9190. You can see them on the deck plan. I only saw them as I had a guarantee and was hoping I wasn't given one of them. ImageUploadedByForums1443617184.750206.jpg.a3e1b72b5eab198dbf2207294ac40a2e.jpg

Sorry the pic isn't very clear but I took it from an online OZ TA site

Edited by Thorpe

I think there are 2 balcony cabins on Aria (and Eden) that have shower only. 9186 and 9190. You can see them on the deck plan. I only saw them as I had a guarantee and was hoping I wasn't given one of them. [ATTACH]364020[/ATTACH]

Sorry the pic isn't very clear but I took it from an online OZ TA site

I agree. The picture I have has those 2 rooms listed as "modified accessible room

Shower only with smaller step, smaller step into bathroom, standard Interior and Oceanview door size."

I'd be phoning the TA and trying to lock in one of those rooms. They are opposite the rear lifts on the port side.

A clearer link to the deck 9 plan is

https://static3.traveltek.net/cruisepics/local_shipimages/1408688222.jpg

The modified ones have a square marked.

Edited by jn2003
add additional link

Hi ratacake,

I too have trouble getting into or out of a bath at home, so much so that I only take showers at home.

But on the Volendam in a Balcony (aka Verandah) cabin, I found that the 'shower over the bath' to be the BEST arrangement I have had on a ship. I sat on the edge of the bath and swung my legs over, hanging on to the well placed handles. I felt very safe and secure in this setup with a rubber mat on the floor of the bath.

Actually now I look for that 'shower over bath' setup as I prefer it to a separate shower.

Hope this helps,

Rosee

Thanks for the update erewhon.

Sorry to hear that news, but I guess HAL felt the baths were not being used as such, which was true. Still, even though I felt quite secure in them, a lot of people may have had difficulty accessing them.

Our circumnavigation seems a long time ago now, doesn't it?

Rosee

Thanks for the update erewhon.

Sorry to hear that news, but I guess HAL felt the baths were not being used as such, which was true. Still, even though I felt quite secure in them, a lot of people may have had difficulty accessing them.

Our circumnavigation seems a long time ago now, doesn't it?

Rosee

Yes, the circumnavigation does seem a long time ago, we are counting down the days until we board the Noordam this month.

We enjoyed the Circumnavigation so much that we have booked again for next year on the Maasdam.:)

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. We have now booked with RCCL for a February cruise.

Legend of the Seas looks nice, and it only carries 1500 people, so shouldn't be crowded, and it has the added advantage of a Solarium with a walk-in pool, which is great for me with my dodgy leg! :D

As Inspector Clausau would say - "problem sol-ved!"

Kind regards

ratacake

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I were planning a trip on the Aria next year, and we did all our homework, worked out prices and deposits, and made a firm decision to book with P&O.

I went to all the websites, looked at deck plans, and rang one of the big online agents. We had some email discussions with them, and chose a cabin. We had a Future Cruise Deposit from an earlier cruise, and used that for the deposit.

All wonderful so far - but then I looked at yet another online agent and was horrified to discover that their ads said there were only showers over the bath in all the Balcony Cabins. I have a limited mobility problem in that I can't bend one knee well, and I cannot get into or out of a bath (and I'm only 70!). We had just assumed that because the Aria was a refit, that there would be walk in shower stalls. (I don't need a fully accessible cabin).

I contacted P&O, thinking surely this is wrong, but I got fobbed off for a while before their rep. admitted that they only had "jacuzzi" baths with shower over, and I would have to climb in and out. (I have a transcript of the conversation).

Apparently the only walk in showers are in the Outside and Inside cabins!!

Sooooooooo, If you're infirm, elderly or have a disability, DON'T BOOK A BALCONY ON ARIA! :(

Disappointed and angry too - we could have paid our deposit unknowing there were unusable (to me) bathrooms. The big agency we used didn't know either, they were horrified and said they'd have to email or contact the people who'd booked to check they could use the baths.:confused:

DISAPPOINTED in your lack of information P&O. Naughty, naughty for omitting the facts from all the ads you've put onto the market for the "new" Aria.:mad::mad::mad:

ratacake

I'm not sure a red thumbs down is warranted. From what I can see there's been no false advertising. The balcony cabins are not sold as either shower only or bath and separate shower. Making an assumption that refurbishing a ship would see them rip out bathrooms is a big assumption. We've been in a balcony on Rotterdam and if they did take out the bath (it's a tiny spa bath by the way!) would see the bathrooms with pretty much a double shower. Yes we'd prefer that as well, but the bathrooms are what they are. We've been on Legend as well. The standard cabins (balcony incl) are much smaller than anything you'll get on Aria.

I don't see why P&O should have to put on all their advertisements what the shower/bath situation is in every room, no other cruise line or hotel promotes on ads what they have in their bathrooms unless you visit their website/consult an agent.

For the vast majority of people out there having a Jacuzzi in the room is a massive benefit and a selling point to why it would be worth upgrading to a balcony.

It clearly states on all of P&O's information for the room that it is a shower over bath and also in their booking system, so yes it isn't ideal for just you personally but you can't assume that P&O should tailor every single one of their rooms to just your specific needs and no one else's. There are other rooms on the ship that have a standard shower that you can use...

I think this is more of an issue with your own lack of research early on as it is clearly states on the room descriptions prior to booking and the information is clearly out there for you to discover it prior to making a booking don't you think?

I think you're clutching at straws with this argument personally.

I'm not sure a red thumbs down is warranted. From what I can see there's been no false advertising. The balcony cabins are not sold as either shower only or bath and separate shower. Making an assumption that refurbishing a ship would see them rip out bathrooms is a big assumption. We've been in a balcony on Rotterdam and if they did take out the bath (it's a tiny spa bath by the way!) would see the bathrooms with pretty much a double shower. Yes we'd prefer that as well, but the bathrooms are what they are. We've been on Legend as well. The standard cabins (balcony incl) are much smaller than anything you'll get on Aria.

Agree with this. A number of things may not suit me personally, but then it's not my boat! :-)

The options are there, and if you want specific things then you need to research them. For many other people they don't mind, are not affected or may even prefer without them, so it's not a thumbs down for many.

• 1 month later...

Based on the review on this site that clearly states, "Suites each have a roomy living area, a bedroom with a spacious walk-in closet and a large bathroom with a tub and separate shower" in suites on the Pacific Dawn, I almost booked a cruise for my mother. Luckily my TA set us straight. I think it's disappointing that, with the exception of 2 rooms, every room is shower over bath. Many older cruisers would struggle with this configuration. We now have to cancel our new year plans as there are no balcony, mini suite, suite, or penthouse suites with just a shower available on either the Dawn or Aria. Considering this is the favourite travel mode for many older cruises, the lack of something as basic as a walk in shower should probably be addressed. Just my 2 cents.

• 7 months later...

We have booked a Mini Suite on the Golden Princess for next year and they also have a shower over the bath .DH has had a hip replacement but he says he will be OK. Not sure how he will go in rough weather. Checked with TA and reassured that there are adequate handrails. But it is strange configuration on a ship, especially as most people I know prefer a refreshing shower. Really haven't the time to lay around in a bath.

• 2 weeks later...

Pacific Eden & Aria carry 1258 passengers & are 55451 gross tonnes = 44tonnes/pax.

Legend of the Seas carries 2076 passengers & is 69472 gross tonnes = 33tonnes/pax. Much more room on PE & PA.

The figures are likely to be for double occupancy.

Having spent 30 days on Statendam & 29 days on Legend of the Seas - I think Pacific Eden / Statendam has a better layout than Legend. The cabins are larger & the buffet is not locked up between meals as on Legend.

The solar roof on Legend does not seem to move where as the roof over the pool on Eden works. The solarium on Legend can get very warm in the tropics.

Do not know how PE is operating with P&O Aust. - will find out in August - but with her larger cabins & better layout I know which I would prefer.

Pacific Eden & Aria carry 1258 passengers & are 55451 gross tonnes = 44tonnes/pax.

Legend of the Seas carries 2076 passengers & is 69472 gross tonnes = 33tonnes/pax. Much more room on PE & PA.

The figures are likely to be for double occupancy.

Having spent 30 days on Statendam & 29 days on Legend of the Seas - I think Pacific Eden / Statendam has a better layout than Legend. The cabins are larger & the buffet is not locked up between meals as on Legend.

The solar roof on Legend does not seem to move where as the roof over the pool on Eden works. The solarium on Legend can get very warm in the tropics.

Do not know how PE is operating with P&O Aust. - will find out in August - but with her larger cabins & better layout I know which I would prefer.

Agreed, it's the same situation with Rhapsody of the seas. After RCL ships are refurbished, each time they just pack more and more in.

I liked Rhapsody, but she's terrible now in terms of access to public spaces. Always crowded. Similar situations with Legend and other RCL classes e.g. Voyager after refurb.