East Coast to Barcelona

cot427

There are two potential disadvantages to this.

The first applies in both directions, namely the relatively limited number of flights from BCN to your part of the US east coast compared to the number of flights from European hubs. This could limit your choice - so it's important to keep an eye on other options and to balance cost and convenience.

The second applies in the inbound direction. If you were to connect at a US port in that direction, you'd have to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline before going to your onward flight. You have generally have to leave more time to do the connection because of this, which can be a waste of time and energy. The formalities are usually less time-consuming if you do the connection in Europe and then fly directly to your final US destination. So this, again, is something to throw into the mix of factors to consider.

I second this. I prefer transiting in Europe and clear customs and immigration at SFO knowing home is a 45 min drive vs a 6 hour flight. Now that SFO has the new automated passport control kiosk it adds to the efficiency. I have doin it to cost the same or cheaper to fly from Dubai London SFO or Barcelona Frankfurt SFO Han going via JFK where one must take the Airtrain to the domestic terminal. Heck I would pay ;$300 more to avoid US airport connections.

I also prefer the European airlines of the US airlines as in coach they feed you better and give you good alcohol and inflight entertainment. On flights from JFK-SFO flights from Europe your given a second hot meal and snacks plus bar service vs domestic buy on board meals.

Just my 2 cents

Do US carriers really not have individual video screens on TA flights?

The only aircraft that we have not found individual screens was on an old 747 on a transpacific flight a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - we jumped ship from Epic to Harmony and therefore had to switch the month to June. It looks like flights are a little higher that month (as of now.) The cheapest by far (difference of ~$300) is Air Canada. PIT - YYZ - BCN and same coming back.

The layovers in Toronto are 2 hours and 3.5 hours, which are perfect in my mind. Not too long but not too short for being an international layover. My question is about customs and luggage. I assume we have to go through customs in Toronto. How is the process there? I've heard some rather unfortunate stories regarding Air Canada and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on here. I take airline stories with a grain of salt because most times they are isolated incidents.

The only aircraft that we have not found individual screens was on an old 747 on a transpacific flight a couple of years ago.

AA's 767-300s don't in economy class, and those are often deployed to Europe.

UA's 747-400s don't either, and those go to Europe and Asia, but no longer (I think) Australia.

Well - we jumped ship from Epic to Harmony and therefore had to switch the month to June. It looks like flights are a little higher that month (as of now.) The cheapest by far (difference of ~$300) is Air Canada. PIT - YYZ - BCN and same coming back.

The layovers in Toronto are 2 hours and 3.5 hours, which are perfect in my mind. Not too long but not too short for being an international layover. My question is about customs and luggage. I assume we have to go through customs in Toronto. How is the process there? I've heard some rather unfortunate stories regarding Air Canada and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on here. I take airline stories with a grain of salt because most times they are isolated incidents.

Heck, I'm probably one of the bigger critics of YYZ as an airport, but for $300 less I'd book those flights (to be fair, YYZ isn't a bad airport, it just usually finds a way of irritating me in some way...:rolleyes:)

The times are fine, if the longer one is on the return, as you will be passing immigration twice - once to enter Canada, and then US pre-clearance for your connecting PIT flight. This however means that when you arrive in PIT it will be treated as a domestic flight, and thus just get your bags and go.

Just thought of something: is YYZ-BCN on AC, or AC Rouge? If the latter, see the rather long thread on Rouge in this forum and decide whether it's for you or not...

I just checked and the flight from PIT to YYZ is Air Canada Express - Jazz (little plane) and from YYZ to BCN is Air Canada Rouge.

I will look into wait the addition of Rouge means for the flight.

Additionally, the 3.5 hr layover is to Europe while the 2 hr layover is back home.

Question - I noticed that the plane is a 767, which as 2 seats - 3 seats - 2 seats setup. There are two of us and it wouldn't be terrible to be just us in a two seat area, do they let you pick your seats in advance? (Booking through a 3rd party website, not directly on Air Canada Rouge)

Edited by cot427
Added question.

I just checked and the flight from PIT to YYZ is Air Canada Express - Jazz (little plane) and from YYZ to BCN is Air Canada Rouge.

I will look into wait the addition of Rouge means for the flight.

Additionally, the 3.5 hr layover is to Europe while the 2 hr layover is back home.

Question - I noticed that the plane is a 767, which as 2 seats - 3 seats - 2 seats setup. There are two of us and it wouldn't be terrible to be just us in a two seat area, do they let you pick your seats in advance? (Booking through a 3rd party website, not directly on Air Canada Rouge)

they should. however, if it isn't easy via the 3rd party site, go to the carrier's website, put in your confirmation # and you can usually change seats on there. We've actually booked via 3rd party and gone to the carrier's site to upgrade to the economy plus (or whatever the airline we were on calls it). even managed to upgrade the long flight (just that segment) over the water to first class for dirt cheap

they should. however, if it isn't easy via the 3rd party site, go to the carrier's website, put in your confirmation # and you can usually change seats on there. We've actually booked via 3rd party and gone to the carrier's site to upgrade to the economy plus (or whatever the airline we were on calls it). even managed to upgrade the long flight (just that segment) over the water to first class for dirt cheap
The question isn't just mechanics, it is whether the airline itself allows for advance seat selection. Some airlines don't do it, others charge for the privilege.

So unless we are talking about AC Rouge, it's a generality.

And you're specifically talking about AC Rouge?

Like I said, I wouldn't mind flying with them if we got 2 seats together alone then the aisle. It may make up for the lack of extra space.

With that being said, its about $200-300 less than the other cheapest carrier, however its still about $1350. When I was looking for May, I say 1100-1200, so I'm hoping to see some of those down the road. There is a 2 stop flight for $1050, but no way am I saving money for that. Not worth it in my book.

Thanks for the info!

When I was looking for May, I say 1100-1200, so I'm hoping to see some of those down the road.

And are you prepared to instead see pricing in the 1700-1800 range? If you are not prepared for a price increase, waiting for a decrease is a definite gamble. Are you a gambler? What is your risk tolerance level?

Remember: Hope is not a strategy.

And are you prepared to instead see pricing in the 1700-1800 range? If you are not prepared for a price increase, waiting for a decrease is a definite gamble. Are you a gambler? What is your risk tolerance level?

Remember: Hope is not a strategy.

You make a good point. What you just mentioned happened to my PIT - FLL trip next month except I did book when it was low. Booked at $220 and now its about $400.

Lately they've been promoting PIT as adding more flights to here and here but let's face it, we're never going to have fares as good as bigger airports, and for good reason. I just wish there was somewhere that was within reasonable driving distance (like 2hrs) besides Cleveland Hopkins, which is pretty much the same.