East Coast to Barcelona

cot427

Hello all...Currently looking at flights for May 2016 for a Mediterranean cruise on the Epic. Just starting to look and track daily, however from what I've read there really isn't much movement. Currently I have two options

1. American Air from PIT - CLT or PHL - BCN or

2. Delta from PIT - CDG - BCN.

I did a study abroad trip a few years ago with the Pittsburgh to Charles De Gaulle and it wasn't all that traveler friendly. So I'm thinking I'd rather layover in a U.S. city and then fly straight to Barcelona. The price is around ~1200-1300, should I expect much decrease?

Additionally, I am definitely flying a day early so that I can see Barcelona a littl e bit (unfortunately I can't take off work much more or I would go a few days early.) However, upon the return trip I intend on flying out on disembarkation day.

I see that the ship docks around 5am. Does anyone have experience with the disembarkation from the ship early morning and getting to the airport? I generally don't like to rush, but my two options are 10:45am flight or 2:50pm flight. I was hoping I could make the 10:45 flight but flying internationally and not having any experience with the Barcelona airport, I wanted some other experiences.

Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with Delta via JFK?

DL 3894:Pittsburgh, PA (PIT) to New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)

Departs:2:50 PM, Fri, 13 May

Arrives:4:33 PM, Fri, 13 May

Flight Duration:1h 43m

DL 476:New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN)

Departs:7:54 PM, Fri, 13 May

Arrives:10:00 AM, Sat, 14 May

Flight Duration:8h 6m

DL 477:Barcelona, Spain (BCN) to New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)

Departs:1:35 PM, Sun, 22 May

Arrives:4:15 PM, Sun, 22 May

Flight Duration:8h 40m

DL 4107:New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) to Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)

Departs:9:00 PM, Sun, 22 May

Arrives:10:56 PM, Sun, 22 May

Flight Duration:1h 56m

Total Price: $ 1,247 60 USD

One recommendation on my part is to avoid the PIT-CDG flight on Delta. The reason for this is that they fly a 757-200 aircraft on the route, which in my mind is pretty miserable for a transatlantic economy class trip. I've done it, and many people have, but I would personally take the A330 that American operates from PHL/CLT any day.

Connecting in the US and then heading straight over to BCN probably is slightly easier, but I wouldn't rule out a connecting within Europe (as clearly you have not).

Many people have complaints about CDG, and for sure it's not the best airport, but certainly isn't the worst either.

Oh yes, I forgot to include the Delta through JFK flight. I will remember to check this one as well.

Any feedback regarding price? Or when to book?

Regarding that PIT - CDG flight - It was my first transatlantic flight with other students from my university. While it wasn't terrible, I much more enjoyed the return flight via Atlanta. The plane was way bigger, more comfortable and had more amenities. And don't get me started on that layover in CDG. It was a nightmare, our group got split up and I feel like we walked miles to the other terminal.

CDG is much more traveler-friendly than it was a decade ago. If you fly on the SkyTeam alliance (Delta, Air France), it is actually pretty easy. No more busses and such. I actually enjoy transiting at CDG, even more than JFK...

we did dfw-jfk-bcn week before last via delta. had the a330 across the pond and it was a comfortable ride (look into their comfort + deal or whatnot, was worth the extra bit for more legroom and free drinks). I had pretty much swore off delta for the past 7-8 years but got the best rate through them this time and was pleased. our cost was roughly the same as what you're paying out of PHL which is a bit odd (we booked about 9 months out). JFK isn't bad, just massive.

So I'm thinking I'd rather layover in a U.S. city and then fly straight to Barcelona.
There are two potential disadvantages to this.

The first applies in both directions, namely the relatively limited number of flights from BCN to your part of the US east coast compared to the number of flights from European hubs. This could limit your choice - so it's important to keep an eye on other options and to balance cost and convenience.

The second applies in the inbound direction. If you were to connect at a US port in that direction, you'd have to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline before going to your onward flight. You have generally have to leave more time to do the connection because of this, which can be a waste of time and energy. The formalities are usually less time-consuming if you do the connection in Europe and then fly directly to your final US destination. So this, again, is something to throw into the mix of factors to consider.

A couple of years ago our Med cruise ended in Barcelona. We had an early flight (1015am I think) - we were told to meet for our shuttle at 6am and we were at the airport at 6:50am. Believe the ship arrived sometime prior to 5am - this was Princess but it is possible to make an early flight out of Barcelona.

The second applies in the inbound direction. If you were to connect at a US port in that direction, you'd have to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline before going to your onward flight. You have generally have to leave more time to do the connection because of this, which can be a waste of time and energy. The formalities are usually less time-consuming if you do the connection in Europe and then fly directly to your final US destination. So this, again, is something to throw into the mix of factors to consider.

this. which is why we paid the extra $50 to connect in AMS and have a straight shot ending in DFW. get to DFW and walk right out to drive home after customs/immigration.

There are two potential disadvantages to this.

The first applies in both directions, namely the relatively limited number of flights from BCN to your part of the US east coast compared to the number of flights from European hubs. This could limit your choice - so it's important to keep an eye on other options and to balance cost and convenience.

Thank you...I hadn't factored that in. I remember going through immigration in Atlanta, with a huge line at probably 8 or 9pm.

The thing is, as another poster pointed out, the plane that flies between PIT and CDG is not a standard transatlantic plane. I believe it's smaller and less comfortable/less amenities. However I did fly that route 3 years ago and it seemed fine to me.

We just completed our European cruise this past May, and did the exact same flights on Delta to Barcelona from JFK and just loved it.

We went from Syracuse, NY to JFK, then, JFK on flight 476, non-stop to Barcelona, then, flight 477 from Barcelona, non-stop back to JFK, then from JFK back to Syracuse.

We ended up getting an unheard of price, but, I checked the Delta website 10 times a day from 10-months out, until 6-months out which was in October of 2014, for our April 29th flight in 2015.

We end up at 6-months out paying only $1049.00 per person, roundtrip. Then, they gave us the option of upgrading to Business/Elite Class. That upgrade started at one point at $3,100 per person each. Then, low and behold, one night, after dropping in price for several days, the upgrade went down to $375 per person, so, we jumped on that upgrade, and can say, it was worth it and then some.

We don't fly much at all, so, the excitement on our faces when we got to board this big Airbus A-330-300 plane before anyone else, no charge for luggage, and, the weight limit was 70-pounds, great first class seats where the went flat down so you could sleep like in a bed, great entertainment, wonderful food and service. For an extra $375 each? a no brainer. Plus, we were able to have free access in the Delta lounge at both JFK and in Barcelona.

Flight was smooth and it was nice to fly from JFK non-stop to Barcelona before our cruise.

These comments are just my opinions, based on our experience. Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

We just completed our European cruise this past May, and did the exact same flights on Delta to Barcelona from JFK and just loved it.

We went from Syracuse, NY to JFK, then, JFK on flight 476, non-stop to Barcelona, then, flight 477 from Barcelona, non-stop back to JFK, then from JFK back to Syracuse.

We ended up getting an unheard of price, but, I checked the Delta website 10 times a day from 10-months out, until 6-months out which was in October of 2014, for our April 29th flight in 2015.

We end up at 6-months out paying only $1049.00 per person, roundtrip. Then, they gave us the option of upgrading to Business/Elite Class. That upgrade started at one point at $3,100 per person each. Then, low and behold, one night, after dropping in price for several days, the upgrade went down to $375 per person, so, we jumped on that upgrade, and can say, it was worth it and then some.

We don't fly much at all, so, the excitement on our faces when we got to board this big Airbus A-330-300 plane before anyone else, no charge for luggage, and, the weight limit was 70-pounds, great first class seats where the went flat down so you could sleep like in a bed, great entertainment, wonderful food and service. For an extra $375 each? a no brainer. Plus, we were able to have free access in the Delta lounge at both JFK and in Barcelona.

Flight was smooth and it was nice to fly from JFK non-stop to Barcelona before our cruise.

These comments are just my opinions, based on our experience. Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

Thank you for sharing your experience! When did your return flight leave Barcelona? I know the ship gets in at 5:00am, however I'm not sure when they allow passengers off (I guess I'll have to look over on NCL board.) But There are quite a few flights that leave between 10-11am and I am hoping to get on one of those so that I can make it home at a reasonable time Sunday night before work the next day (limited number of vacation days + maximum number of vacations, so I have to.)

Hello COT427...We cruised on the Vision Of The Seas with Royal Caribbean, and, they were letting everyone off the ship as early as 7-AM. Our flight did not leave until

12:50-PM, which got us back to JFK at about 3:20-PM Eastern time.

At least with Royal Caribbean, we now know that any flight from 10-AM forward is OK to book, and, that is in their passenger information. Not sure about NCL.

Edited by Dave4120

During my searches, I came across this on American Airlines:

PIT - LGA then JFK to BCN. - How does that work? I mean I would never consider it but I can't believe they offer that as an option. Do they transfer you to the other airport or are you responsible for your own transportation? I would never want to go through security twice! Once is more than enough.

During my searches, I came across this on American Airlines:

PIT - LGA then JFK to BCN. - How does that work? I mean I would never consider it but I can't believe they offer that as an option. Do they transfer you to the other airport or are you responsible for your own transportation? I would never want to go through security twice! Once is more than enough.

The can offer it as an option just like British Airways offers connections between Heathrow and Gatwick. You have to collect your bags, bus or taxi between the airports, check in and go through security again, all that. Is it a pain in the tuckus? You bet. By the time you add the cost of transportation between airports (your nickel) any cost advantage is probably neutralized, plus you need to allow for at least 3-4 hours between flights to allow for traffic.

However, as I mentioned upthread, AA has flights between PIT and JFK; you'd then walk to the connecting gate (all inside security, in the same terminal) for their nonstop to Barcelona, with a couple of hours between flights.

The can offer it as an option just like British Airways offers connections between Heathrow and Gatwick. You have to collect your bags, bus or taxi between the airports, check in and go through security again, all that. Is it a pain in the tuckus? You bet. By the time you add the cost of transportation between airports (your nickel) any cost advantage is probably neutralized, plus you need to allow for at least 3-4 hours between flights to allow for traffic.

However, as I mentioned upthread, AA has flights between PIT and JFK; you'd then walk to the connecting gate (all inside security, in the same terminal) for their nonstop to Barcelona, with a couple of hours between flights.

Currently I think my best options are either through JFK or CLT, either of which is in AA and then Delta only through JFK.

There hasn't been much movement in price over the last couple weeks or so. Still early out. 9 months out is September, which is when I read may be the best time to purchase.

Still early out. 9 months out is September, which is when I read may be the best time to purchase.
Urban legend at best.

There is no "magic spot", be it time of day, day of the week, date on a calendar or X days out from your travels. Pricing is adjusted on a dynamic basis, factoring in current demand and historic purchasing data.

Many stories talk about the median or mean for pricing trends. Which may be fine in an academic way for the entire industry or market segment. It doesn't mean that it will hold true for YOUR date and city pair.

Remember the story of the amateur statistician who drowned while walking across a river with an average depth of 1 foot.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Still early out. 9 months out is September, which is when I read may be the best time to purchase.
Urban legend at best.

There is no "magic spot", be it time of day, day of the week, date on a calendar or X days out from your travels. Pricing is adjusted on a dynamic basis, factoring in current demand and historic purchasing data.

Indeed. Although it sounds trite, the best time to purchase is when it's cheap, like when there's a good sale on that covers your travel dates.

There are those who try to get the lowest price possible. But you can't ever know whether any particular price is the lowest price possible for that flight until the aircraft door shuts and the aircraft is pushed back. So this is usually a fool's errand.

Personally I would avoid any route that requires transiting through CDG.

We have transferred at CDG a few times in recent years and found that once you become familiar with the airport, it is not a bad one to go through.

I always find out just before we board the aircraft what gate our flight arrives at and what gate our next flight leaves. I have a map of the airport, so it is a breeze to change.

CDG has plenty of good choices for a meal if you need one.

We have changed in Philly, and that was OK, it is a relatively small airport.

We have been to Barcelona twice and both times had a direct flight from Atlanta to Barcelona, which worked out very well.

We avoid JFK.

At some times of the year there is a nonstop flight from PIT to CDG. We flew this Delta flight two years ago and thought it was easy peasy. On our outbound flight we had to connect to AirFrance for a flight to Marseille. We just made certain we had the longer layover instead of the under an hour that came up. I think we spent 4 hours waiting but it really was not bad. It gave us an opportunity to relax, go through immigration and customs, and catch our flight to Marseille. I wouldn't think there would be much different catching a flight to Barcelona. On your return trip you might consider a stopover in Oaris. Some airlines allow this. But, that would only be if you have time. Returning to PIT as your first stop returning to the U.S. Makes clearing customs and immigration easy as you don't have to collect your bags and recheck them. Plus it is only your flight doing that!

Flying from PIT does pose some challenges but they are doable.