Is there a best way with air (Europe)

bbfgator

Hello - We're planning a cruise next year. It begins in Copenhagen and ends in Stockholm, Sweden. I am now able to see flights and because of not being round trip, we are getting dinged pretty hard. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. We are flying out of JAX (Jacksonville, FL)...obviously we have plenty of time to watch fares go up & down...well up :).

Thank you!

Hello - We're planning a cruise next year. It begins in Copenhagen and ends in Stockholm, Sweden. I am now able to see flights and because of not being round trip, we are getting dinged pretty hard. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. We are flying out of JAX (Jacksonville, FL)...obviously we have plenty of time to watch fares go up & down...well up :).

Thank you!

Remember to search the itinerary as an open-jaw - that is, use the multi-city function, rather than just searching 2 one-way flights.

Use https://matrix.itasoftware.com to search for airfare - you can't book on this site, but it gives you an idea what's available.

The more flexible you can be - in terms of travel dates, number of stops, etc. - the better chance you have of getting a deal.

What dates are you looking at?

Thank you!

know you can get non stop inexpensive flights

to and from copenhagen & stockholm to certain places in usa

you might have to drive or fly to those places ??

we plan to use them in 2016 and 2017 for england and sweden

nonstop to lax in calif

As suggested, don't look for two one ways, the pricing will be ridiculous. Choose the multicity option. You are too early to even look at returns right now.

Use the matrix webpage to search as suggested.

Looking at a multicity trip with your cities, departing 11 June, return 21 June (the furthest out you can book right now), I see flights as low as $1285 RT, which seems about average.

Edited by 6rugrats

Yes, please please please don't search for two one-way flights, it's a recipe for disaster. Just about every airline offers "Multi-City" fares, as discussed before me. Just do Segment 1: JAX-CPH, Segment 2: ARN-JAX and you will find something resembling a roundtrip fare. Easy peasy.

For educational purposes: When you can have an open-jaw trip (which most all situations of European cruises fall into - gist for another post), the fare is almost always constructed as follows:

Using the OP's situation of into Copenhagen and out of Stockholm:

Take the round-trip fare from XYZ to CPH.

Add the round-trip fare from ARN to XYZ.

Divide by two.

or

Take half the roundtrip fare from XYZ to CPH.

Add half the roundtrip fare from ARN to XYZ.

The airline thinks of this as half the roundtrip going, then half the roundtrip coming back. This does require that it be on the same airline (or codeshares and some alliances) - you can't go on United and back on American and expect open-jaw pricing.

The airlines and booking computers like to use the term "multi-city". This can even be used for triangle fares, where you take three flights as the three sides of a triangle and take 1/2 of each segments R/T to make a total price.

Two big caveats: First, the underlying fares must allow open-jaw and/or triangle fares and Second, for open jaws, the unflown leg of the triangle must be the shortest (in direct point-to-point calculation). The second is why you don't get open-jaw pricing when calculating fares for a TATL crossing - the unflown leg will be longer than the domestic leg negating open-jaw pricing.

Just some more info for your data banks.

Both Copenhagen and Stockholm deserve your vacation days too but if time is an issue plan accordingly.

You can arrive in CPH on embarkation day if you must. Even the newest pier is only a 45-60 minutes ride at worst. The drive is through city streets. When we came back last year we sat on one of the main roads while friendly protestors on bicycles blocked the road. That's why I am allowing the extra time.

The Stockholm departure deserves a little more planning. It is farther from the port so give yourselves plenty of time.

Don't forget your stateside connection time through Customs and Immigration.

There will be much more information on the Ports of Call forum too.

As noted the multi city option is the best.

When you find something that works check back here BEFORE you book. It's always easier to adjust things before the dreaded $300 change fee sets in.

And TPAC is trans-Pacific. (No, not the rapper)

Using TPAC and TATL serve to a) make it clear which ocean the fare rule applies to, and b) leaves the abbreviation of TA to mean "travel agent".

And yes, there are fares that require flights over a particular ocean. Destinations in India and Asia sometimes have those, as many routings have comparable distances from many parts of the USA over either ocean.

Wow - thanks so much for all the info....I know we are a long time out still but it does go by quickly...especially with dear daughter getting married in April...so soon I will also start second guessing myself on the book early/wait until later for better fares dilemma...thanks again for help/suggestions. Blessings.