Best cruiseline for BYOB

Interesting read. It made me want to go stand in the corner. Is cruise critic run by the cruise lines?:rolleyes:

Five reasons to throw a bottle in your checked bag and hope it makes it to your room.

1) You can make your own drinks and save money on your liquor tab.

2) If they discover it they will return it to you on the last night.

3) It's fun to beat the cruise line, even if just a little.

4)You don't have to leave your room to go to the bar if you want a drink in your room.

5) The best reason of all. If bottle is discovered in your locked bag you will get a first hand look at the mysterious naughty room. Take pictures and post here. Then all will know naughty room is real and we won't have to read that Uncle Jed's neighbor's 2nd wife's cousin was called there.:eek::D

I, as well, will not deign to tell you how to behave, put a bottle in your bags if you want, its your life. There is probably no one line that is better at detecting bottles in your baggage, and here's why: the screeners at the ports are not cruise line employees, they are port employees, so they will screen bags of every line just the same.

Having worked for a cruise line, as a senior officer, I can put to rest your speculations about the naughty room. It does exist. Also remember that most cruise line ticket contracts allow for the ship's personnel to search your baggage, room, and safe with or without your presence, so often the only time you will get called to the naughty room for bottles is if they don't want to damage your luggage when its locked. They can and do just open a bag and take the bottle, and may or may not add a note saying they did. Remember, your rights and privileges as a US citizen for the most part end at the gangway, and the laws of the flag state apply onboard.

I, as well, will not deign to tell you how to behave, put a bottle in your bags if you want, its your life. There is probably no one line that is better at detecting bottles in your baggage, and here's why: the screeners at the ports are not cruise line employees, they are port employees, so they will screen bags of every line just the same.

Having worked for a cruise line, as a senior officer, I can put to rest your speculations about the naughty room. It does exist. Also remember that most cruise line ticket contracts allow for the ship's personnel to search your baggage, room, and safe with or without your presence, so often the only time you will get called to the naughty room for bottles is if they don't want to damage your luggage when its locked. They can and do just open a bag and take the bottle, and may or may not add a note saying they did. Remember, your rights and privileges as a US citizen for the most part end at the gangway, and the laws of the flag state apply onboard.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. Do they

search cabins including safes for liquor that slipped through scrèening? That's pretty scary. Do you have any pictures of naughty room?

I'm looking at my first adult cruise with my gf. I cruised a few times as a kid with my parents. I would like to know which lines are the best bet to just throw a couple of bottles in your checked luggage and get it in your room. Should bag be open or locked. I looked around here and other forums and most posts on the subject are years old. Please share YOUR personal experience not your neighbor's babysitter's uncle. I'm not interested in mouthwash bottles or rum runners, too much work. Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this goes against the rules but we don't drink wine so we want to bring a bottle of something we do drink.

Did ANY of OP's posts give ANY indication that he might be interested in paying the sort of fare on a premium line which might include his drinks

I think OP's post is an oxymoron : he is going on his first adult cruise with his girlfriend. Let's see, to show his GF that he is an adult he is going to act like a child and smuggle booze like he is a teenager. Maybe, just maybe, if he wants to impress her what a "man" he is and what an adult he is, he should honor her with being an upstanding mature adult. It might impress her more if you don't do something against the regulations of the ship line.

I just spent a week with my 11 YO grandson. We talked about a lot of things. Many involved his character and what kind of an adult he wants to become and be. Sorry OP but my 11 YO sounds like he's more mature and got himself together better then you do.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. Do they

search cabins including safes for liquor that slipped through scrèening? That's pretty scary. Do you have any pictures of naughty room?

They will only search cabins if there is a reasonable suspicion that something violating a company policy or law is happening. I just mention that they have the right to do so, its not real common.

No pictures, I don't normally take pictures of my workplace. It is just an area close to where the bags come onboard, and close to the Security office where the bags needing inspection are kept.

It just seems so strange that OP is asking for pictures of said area. Weird. :o

Of course OP has made it clear that his intent is to challenge any post which suggests in any way that perhaps he should not smuggle liquor on board. If he were given certified pictures of the naughty room, I imagine he would then proceed to question confiscation procedures - such as how he might be given assurance that liquor taken upon boarding would be secured while being held, and what proof he would be given upon debarking that it was, in fact, the same liquor originally taken from him.

Just as it is difficult to "argue with stupid", it is difficult to satisfy the otherwise unreasonable concerning any matter which does not suit his fancy.

If you want to save on bar prices with a bottle in your room you can buy a bottle after boarding from room service and have it delivered to the room. It won't be shore price but it will be cheaper then buying by the drink and you'll have the freedom to mix the drinks to your liking in your room. Even Carnival sells liquor by the bottle via room service.

Edited by Underwatr

I think OP's post is an oxymoron : he is going on his first adult cruise with his girlfriend. Let's see, to show his GF that he is an adult he is going to act like a child and smuggle booze like he is a teenager. Maybe, just maybe, if he wants to impress her what a "man" he is and what an adult he is, he should honor her with being an upstanding mature adult. It might impress her more if you don't do something against the regulations of the ship line.

I just spent a week with my 11 YO grandson. We talked about a lot of things. Many involved his character and what kind of an adult he wants to become and be. Sorry OP but my 11 YO sounds like he's more mature and got himself together better then you do.

WOW very harsh. With that handle and the story about your grandson sounds like you want to spank me. My GF is totally on board. We bring candy from the dollar store and little bottles of booze into the movie theater too (the sell booze at our theater). It's about saving a little money while out is all. Yes it bends the rules a little. For those that wonder about me asking for pics of this alleged naughty room. I'm from the smart phone generation and everyone takes pictures of everything. With all the stories I've read all over the internet about hundreds of bags and tables full of booze it's shocking that I can not find one picture anywhere. Most stories are my sister's friend's in-laws' neighbors got caught. I think that all of you that think you are high and mighty make these accounts up because you are appalled that anyone would break the rules. Take a chill pill and worry about what you do. :p If a book a cruise and decide to throw a bottle of in my checked bag :eek::eek:that's my business. I simply asked which line was it more likely not be detected. Most of your responses were uncalled for and unwanted. Happy cruizin! :D:D:D

Thanks IN will buy plenty of booze onboard. Wine drinkers are allowed to have their own wine. We don't drink wine so we feel we should be able to have something we do drink.

Since you are planning to "buy plenty of booze onboard," then I would suggest you purchase a drink package that will allow you to drink whatever you want whenever you want. That way you don't have to "smuggle" anything in, thus ending this discussion.

Although I do not agree with the harshness of some of the previous posters, I do agree that rules are rules and when the rules are broken, we all pay in the long run. The reason that most cruise lines do not allow booze (not talking wine) to be brought on board is because that is where they make most of their profit and how those lines can keep their fares lower. The lines that do allow booze to be brought on board are generally your more luxury lines and they come with a higher price tag. Let's not forget that most lines, with the exception of the high-end all-inclusive ones, even charge a corkage fee for wine brought on board. It's all about profit.

If you are insistent on trying it, then try it and see what happens. But, I would bet that if you are sailing on NCL, RCCL, Carnival or the like, you will not have that bottle in your room during your cruise, and I look forward to your pictures of the naughty room.

Edited by phillygirl63

OP, why must you have a picture of the room? Are you still doubting that it exists? You're new around here so you have no idea who is who but I can assure you that Chengkp75 knows exactly what he is talking about. He is well known on the boards and there is never any need to question his posts. He told you about the naughty room.

Take a chill pill and worry about what you do. :p If a book a cruise and decide to throw a bottle of in my checked bag :eek::eek:that's my business. I simply asked which line was it more likely not be detected. Most of your responses were uncalled for and unwanted. Happy cruizin! :D:D:D

Actually, it becomes everyone else's business when you do this.

If the bottle breaks while in your luggage it can have an effect on other's luggage.

In a true sense, you are stealing from the company when you succeed at doing what you are planning. That your likelihood of success is nil is beside the point.

It is amazing that you are complaining about the variety of responses that you have gotten but you haven't SEEN harsh yet. If you come back and mention that you can also save money by not paying the Service Charge you'll absolutely get 'harsh'.

It's a safe guess that you don't also know that one of the reasons for the liquor policy is so that the crew can maintain some control over people who are prone to drinking to excess.

If the bottle breaks while in your luggage it can have an effect on other's luggage.

In a true sense, you are stealing from the company when you succeed at doing what you are planning. That your likelihood of success is nil is beside the point.

It is amazing that you are complaining about the variety of responses that you have gotten but you haven't SEEN harsh yet. If you come back and mention that you can also save money by not paying the Service Charge you'll absolutely get 'harsh'.

It's a safe guess that you don't also know that one of the reasons for the liquor policy is so that the crew can maintain some control over people who are prone to drinking to excess.[/QUOTE]

I'm shaking in my boots. Ever hear of bubble wrap and ziplock bags?? If I were to take a bottle and it breaks it will not only stay in my bag but will not come through ziplock bag. I've packed many different bottles in checked bags on planes and NEVER had one break.

The one and only reason for the liquor policy is $$$$$. I've read on here that you order bottles (albeit for an obnoxiously inflated price) and they are waiting in your room. I've seen your argument before. The fact that they will deliver bottles to your room negates your theory.

It's a safe guess that you don't also know that one of the reasons for the liquor policy is so that the crew can maintain some control over people who are prone to drinking to excess.[/QUOTE]

I'm shaking in my boots. Ever hear of bubble wrap and ziplock bags?? If I were to take a bottle and it breaks it will not only stay in my bag but will not come through ziplock bag. I've packed many different bottles in checked bags on planes and NEVER had one break.

The one and only reason for the liquor policy is $$$$$. I've read on here that you order bottles (albeit for an obnoxiously inflated price) and they are waiting in your room. I've seen your argument before. The fact that they will deliver bottles to your room negates your theory.

Well, if you were correct we would be in agreement.