Best cruiseline for BYOB

I'm looking at my first adult cruise with my gf. I cruised a few times as a kid with my parents. I would like to know which lines are the best bet to just throw a couple of bottles in your checked luggage and get it in your room. Should bag be open or locked. I looked around here and other forums and most posts on the subject are years old. Please share YOUR personal experience not your neighbor's babysitter's uncle. I'm not interested in mouthwash bottles or rum runners, too much work. Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this goes against the rules but we don't drink wine so we want to bring a bottle of something we do drink.:eek::eek:

I think that Maersk is probably your best fit.

I think that Maersk is probably your best fit.

WOW are you here all week?? :D:D

I guess no one wants to admit packing bottles in their checked luggage and only one first hand account of being called to the mysterious naughty room. Either the naughty room is a figment of lots of people's imaginations or people only get called for irons (very dangerous and puts everyone on ship in danger) and other prohibited, dangerous items. I think I'll just find a ship that matches our dates and places we want to visit. I'll then simply throw one bottle in my checked bag in one in my GF's bag. Worst case scenario we get called to this enigmatic naughty room and get bottles back on last night. Best case both get to room still inside luggage. Happy sailing everyone!:D

WOW are you here all week?? :D:D

I guess no one wants to admit packing bottles in their checked luggage and only one first hand account of being called to the mysterious naughty room. Either the naughty room is a figment of lots of people's imaginations or people only get called for irons (very dangerous and puts everyone on ship in danger) and other prohibited, dangerous items. I think I'll just find a ship that matches our dates and places we want to visit. I'll then simply throw one bottle in my checked bag in one in my GF's bag. Worst case scenario we get called to this enigmatic naughty room and get bottles back on last night. Best case both get to room still inside luggage. Happy sailing everyone!:D

:) well, I'll be around longer than the hootch that will get confiscated. You'll want to use sealed bottles, they do not return unsealed or non-original bottles at the end of the cruise.

I suppose your statement that the generalizations are inaccurate stems from your having sailed every individual cruise line. Can you cite any mainstream/mass market line which DOES permit bringing liquor on board?

Have you read some of the earlier posts, starting with #4, that illustrates some line DO allow various possibilities with beer and liquor?

As I HAVE NOT sailed all cruise lines, I wouldn't make the statement that NO cruise line allows beer or hard liquor. The same poster also, yesterday, made another, unrelated "all cruise lines" general statement that was incorrect. That caused my post.

We don't drink wine so we feel we should be able to have something we do drink.

You won't even enjoy cruising. With that entitlement attitude not being able to drink cheap booze will only be the start of your complaints. Your room steward's primary language likely won't be English. You won't be able to wear your wet swim suit to the dining room for lunch. The list goes on. Just stay home and go to a bar with your friends.

It's obvious you're a newer cruiser as evidenced by your comment about irons. Every cruise line bans them because of a fire hazard, and any intelligent person knows that fire is the worst thing that could happen on a ship. The electrical systems on cruise ships are delicate and items like irons and power strips can cause electrical fires.

It's obvious you were looking for a cruise line that will allow you to bring your own alcohol, but seeing you're determined to bring it on in any case, why bother asking? Just do what you were always planning on doing and hope for the best.

Thank you. Now anyone want to share stories of bottles making it to room. I know all bags are screened, but say 2,000 passengers 2 bags each. That's 4000 bags screened in a short time. My question was which lines are odds higher to receive bottles in room.

I am guessing you are not going to find the answer you are looking for. The answer is none - there are no lines that will have good odds on a bottle of liquor making it to your room. Even a very quick scan would reveal a glass bottle. And in this age of terrorism against soft targets, they likely do more than a very quick scan.

Why would people use things like rum runners if there were a good chance that they could just bring a bottle?

Read this CC article:

Sneaking Alcohol on a Cruise: 5 Reasons You Should Never Try It

That said, you are free to bring along as much as you want on Silverseas, Crystal, Regent and all other cruise lines that offer unlimited on board beverage service.

Edited by Host Walt

Read this CC article:

That said, you are free to bring along as much as you want on Silverseas, Crystal, Regent and all other cruise lines that offer unlimited on board beverage service.

Did ANY of OP's posts give ANY indication that he might be interested in paying the sort of fare on a premium line which might include his drinks

I am guessing you are not going to find the answer you are looking for. The answer is none - there are no lines that will have good odds on a bottle of liquor making it to your room. Even a very quick scan would reveal a glass bottle. And in this age of terrorism against soft targets, they likely do more than a very quick scan.

As pointed out already, lines such as Seabourn and Silversea allow their guests to take wine and spirits on board. We've done so on both lines. Haven't cruised Regent but they allow it also.

I don't believe that OP is considering any of these lines, but it's not true to say 'there are no lines' allowing it.

Also johnbull mentioned P&O. While I'm not familiar with any of their policies, knowing jb's posting history here at CC I have no reason to disbelieve him.

As pointed out already, lines such as Seabourn and Silversea allow their guests to take wine and spirits on board. We've done so on both lines. Haven't cruised Regent but they allow it also.

I don't believe that OP is considering any of these lines, but it's not true to say 'there are no lines' allowing it.

Also johnbull mentioned P&O. While I'm not familiar with any of their policies, knowing jb's posting history here at CC I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Yes, sorry - I was answering based on what I read as the "intent" of the question. This specific question, not generally. :D The OP was asking about the types of lines that allow wine, but no liquor. The ones that you would need to sneak a bottle in your luggage and hope to not get caught. I should have said there are no lines where sneaking a bottle of liquor on has a good chance.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

Read this CC article:

Interesting read. It made me want to go stand in the corner. Is cruise critic run by the cruise lines?:rolleyes:

Five reasons to throw a bottle in your checked bag and hope it makes it to your room.

1) You can make your own drinks and save money on your liquor tab.

2) If they discover it they will return it to you on the last night.

3) It's fun to beat the cruise line, even if just a little.

4)You don't have to leave your room to go to the bar if you want a drink in your room.

5) The best reason of all. If bottle is discovered in your locked bag you will get a first hand look at the mysterious naughty room. Take pictures and post here. Then all will know naughty room is real and we won't have to read that Uncle Jed's neighbor's 2nd wife's cousin was called there.:eek::D

OP, here's a thought. Put five bottles in your carry on and another five in your other bags. Then, you can come back and post about your first hand visit to the naughty room and we will see that it is not really a figment of our imagination.

Interesting read. It made me want to go stand in the corner. Is cruise critic run by the cruise lines?:rolleyes:

Five reasons to throw a bottle in your checked bag and hope it makes it to your room.

1) You can make your own drinks and save money on your liquor tab.

2) If they discover it they will return it to you on the last night.

3) It's fun to beat the cruise line, even if just a little.

4)You don't have to leave your room to go to the bar if you want a drink in your room.

5) The best reason of all. If bottle is discovered in your locked bag you will get a first hand look at the mysterious naughty room. Take pictures and post here. Then all will know naughty room is real and we won't have to read that Uncle Jed's neighbor's 2nd wife's cousin was called there.:eek::D

1) You can make your own drinks with a bottle purchased from the line - but that would involve living up to the terms of your deal with the line.

2) Getting your bottle back makes it OK to try to cheat.

3) Beating the cruise line might be even more fun if you leave the ship with stolen chinaware, silver, towels, etc.

4) You can drink in your room with a bottle purchase per # 1 above.

5) Did your Uncle Jed's neighbor's wife's second cousin get called there also? I guess the habit of trying to cheat runs in families.

Perhaps cruise lines just might have the right to operate profitably - even if it involves expecting people to comply with the terms of the contract they enter into when they buy their cruise. I do not have any right, or intention of trying, to tell you how to behave - but I do tend to tire of childish self-justification.

Perhaps cruise lines just might have the right to operate profitably - even if it involves expecting people to comply with the terms of the contract they enter into when they buy their cruise. I do not have any right, or intention of trying, to tell you how to behave - but I do tend to tire of childish self-justification.

Or, put another way...do you have any rules for your house? No smoking? No pets in the house? Perhaps no shoes? And how do you feel about people who feel totally within their "rights" to violate your rules, which are important to you, in the house you own?

Remember, the cruise line owns the ship, and it is fully within their "rights" to expect you to respect and follow those rules, whether or not you think the rules are "dumb" "stupid" or "fair".

To the OP.

I have smuggled when I was younger. I've gotten bottles of booze through to my cabin BUT that was over 10 years ago. I've also done some rum runners, but since the inception of the all you can drink packages (both paid for and some are free) we've stopped the practice.

We also found out that we never really drank too much of what we took because we were always out having fun on deck and it was so much easier just to have a drink from the nearest bar.

So to answer your question, Yes, I've done it, but that was a long time ago and they are MUCH more stringent on the rules now. I've NOT been to the naughty room, but our travel companions were....only to find out that they thought the shampoo bottle had booze in it. It did not. It indeed was shampoo.

Your best chance is the premium lines like Seaborne and Oceania. They allow you to carry on as much alcohol as you wish. Of course, alcohol is included in the fare.

Alcohol is not included in the fare with Oceania unless a drink package is offered as a booking perk. However, they do allow wine to be brought on board with corkage fee charged. I am not personally sure whether they allow any other alcohol.

P&O (UK) have no restriction on BYOB - beer, wine, spirits (liqor), etc., to drink in your cabin/balcony. Take aboard at your embarkation port or any port-of-call.

They reserve the right to refuse if the quantity taken aboard shows an intent to get blotto throughout the cruise, it's been invoked from time to time.

P&O is mainstream, similar cruise prices to NCL, RCI, Carnival, etc, but is marketed mainly in the UK.

JB :)

Same is true with Cunard.