Best cruiseline for BYOB

I'm looking at my first adult cruise with my gf. I cruised a few times as a kid with my parents. I would like to know which lines are the best bet to just throw a couple of bottles in your checked luggage and get it in your room. Should bag be open or locked. I looked around here and other forums and most posts on the subject are years old. Please share YOUR personal experience not your neighbor's babysitter's uncle. I'm not interested in mouthwash bottles or rum runners, too much work. Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this goes against the rules but we don't drink wine so we want to bring a bottle of something we do drink.:eek::eek:

none of the mainstream( mass market) lines permit spirits or beer at all.. a few let you bring bottles of WINE only. a few let you pre purchase spirits , beer or wine to have in the cabin.

only the high end lines let you bring your own alcohol on board and you will pay for that privilege./

all of the mainstream lines offer drink packages that can be the most cost effective way to enjoy yourself.

none of the mainstream( mass market) lines permit spirits or beer at all.. a few let you bring bottles of WINE only. a few let you pre purchase spirits , beer or wine to have in the cabin.

only the high end lines let you bring your own alcohol on board and you will pay for that privilege./

all of the mainstream lines offer drink packages that can be the most cost effective way to enjoy yourself.

Not so. Disney allows both wine and beer. Well, wine OR beer - each person 21 and older can bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max) on embarkation and from each port of call.

But they do not allow hard alcohol.

OP stated that they don't drink wine. He is talking liquor - which means only high end lines - if even they allow bringing liquor on board. I suspect cost is a concen, otherwise he would buy liquor package on board - so I do not think high end is the answer.

Best advice for him if he is serious about not wanting to play the rum runner or mouthwash bottle game is to just buy his liquor on board by the drink or by the bottle - like a grown up.

If you have not sailed every individual cruise line, not sure how you can make such overly broad and inaccurate generalizations.

I'm looking at my first adult cruise with my gf. I cruised a few times as a kid with my parents. I would like to know which lines are the best bet to just throw a couple of bottles in your checked luggage and get it in your room. Should bag be open or locked. I looked around here and other forums and most posts on the subject are years old. Please share YOUR personal experience not your neighbor's babysitter's uncle. I'm not interested in mouthwash bottles or rum runners, too much work. Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this goes against the rules but we don't drink wine so we want to bring a bottle of something we do drink.:eek::eek:

As my original post states I'm interested in first hand accounts of people putting booze in their checked bags.Did it make it to your room or did it disappear? Also interested in first hand accounts of this mysterious naughty room. Thanks again for your comments.

Your best chance is the premium lines like Seaborne and Oceania. They allow you to carry on as much alcohol as you wish. Of course, alcohol is included in the fare.

Not on Oceania... but you can buy a beverage package

As my original post states I'm interested in first hand accounts of people putting booze in their checked bags.Did it make it to your room or did it disappear? Also interested in first hand accounts of this mysterious naughty room. Thanks again for your comments.

Been in the naughty room on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity due to security finding an iron and an extension cord in my bags. There was a long table set up that was loaded with bottles, rum runners and other containers of alcohol. Those in their regular bottles had a cabin number written on it, and they were returned on the last night of the cruise. Booze in rum runners or other types of bottles were thrown out.

My cousin was called to the naughty room on Carnival because he had a couple of rum runners in his checked bag, and it was the same experience there. OP, you do realize that all luggage is X-rayed and security has gotten real good at finding smuggled booze, especially on the less expensive cruise lines.

Been in the naughty room on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity due to security finding an iron and an extension cord in my bags. There was a long table set up that was loaded with bottles, rum runners and other containers of alcohol. Those in their regular bottles had a cabin number written on it, and they were returned on the last night of the cruise. Booze in rum runners or other types of bottles were thrown out.

My cousin was called to the naughty room on Carnival because he had a couple of rum runners in his checked bag, and it was the same experience there. OP, you do realize that all luggage is X-rayed and security has gotten real good at finding smuggled booze, especially on the less expensive cruise lines.

Thank you. Now anyone want to share stories of bottles making it to room. I know all bags are screened, but say 2,000 passengers 2 bags each. That's 4000 bags screened in a short time. My question was which lines are odds higher to receive bottles in room.

My question was which lines are odds higher to receive bottles in room.

Why don't you approach this from a different angle. Instead of paying more for an all-inclusive line or luxury line, why don't you do some research and find a cruise that you actually want to go on, and then buy the beverage package. You're making this all about the booze and trust me, a cruise is so much more than that.

On Celebrity last year, I was able to walk onto the ship with a bottle of Jamison whiskey when we docked in Ireland, and I walked on with a bottle of calvados (apple brandy) when we docked in France.

I did not embark with that alcohol. Both times I had the bottles out and clearly visible when reboarding the ship, fully expecting that they would be taken away and given back the night prior to disembarkation. They didn't even blink. I carried them right into my cabin and was able to enjoy a bit on my balcony during sail away.

I know that my experience contradicts Celebrity's posted rules, and I do not know what Celebrity's policies would be on any other cruise. You asked for direct experience, and that is mine. (I embarked and disembarked in Amsterdam)

Thanks IN will buy plenty of booze onboard. Wine drinkers are allowed to have their own wine. We don't drink wine so we feel we should be able to have something we do drink.

Doesn't matter what you feel. The lines can make whatever rules they want and they have their reasons for what they are. It's the nature of the beast.

I will say this is the first time I've seen someone picking a cruise based solely on what they can take that is not permitted.

Not on Oceania... but you can buy a beverage package

The prestige package is $60/person/day, which includes the 18% tip. Any booze anytime (that at least one bar is open) with the exception of highest end cognac. Wines are by the glass - but as much as you want. So, basically, 4 drinks per day to break even.

The prestige package is $60/person/day, which includes the 18% tip. Any booze anytime (that at least one bar is open) with the exception of highest end cognac. Wines are by the glass - but as much as you want. So, basically, 4 drinks per day to break even.

Yes I do know that

I was responding to the post saying spirits were included in the fare ..not so on Oceania

Edited by LHT28

If you have not sailed every individual cruise line, not sure how you can make such overly broad and inaccurate generalizations.

I suppose your statement that the generalizations are inaccurate stems from your having sailed every individual cruise line. Can you cite any mainstream/mass market line which DOES permit bringing liquor on board?

Thank you. Now anyone want to share stories of bottles making it to room. I know all bags are screened, but say 2,000 passengers 2 bags each. That's 4000 bags screened in a short time. My question was which lines are odds higher to receive bottles in room.

They are pretty good at their job.

I don't believe one has to sail every individual cruise line - the cruise lines all post their policies on these fancy interweb page thingies so you can read all about the do's and don'ts without having to sail...it's pretty cool...

P&O (UK) have no restriction on BYOB - beer, wine, spirits (liqor), etc., to drink in your cabin/balcony. Take aboard at your embarkation port or any port-of-call.

They reserve the right to refuse if the quantity taken aboard shows an intent to get blotto throughout the cruise, it's been invoked from time to time.

P&O is mainstream, similar cruise prices to NCL, RCI, Carnival, etc, but is marketed mainly in the UK.

JB :)