Is a 1:30 p.m. Flight from Vancouver safe?

brainerdgal

My hubby and I will be arriving in Vancouver from Seward at 7 a.m. on Friday, September 1.

Is a 1:30 p.m. flight too early in case we run into any kind of glitch? We have gotten US Direct in the past and haven't had to mess with our luggage until we arrive at the airport. Celebrity no longer offers US Direct, so we're on our own this time.

We are 67 and have no mobility issues, but we will each have a checked bag and a carry-on. A 4:30 p.m. flight is our other option that day

Advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

My hubby and I will be arriving in Vancouver from Seward at 7 a.m. on Friday, September 1.

Is a 1:30 p.m. flight too early in case we run into any kind of glitch? We have gotten US Direct in the past and haven't had to mess with our luggage until we arrive at the airport. Celebrity no longer offers US Direct, so we're on our own this time.

We are 67 and have no mobility issues, but we will each have a checked bag and a carry-on. A 4:30 p.m. flight is our other option that day

Advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

That's more than enough time...if I'm understanding your itinerary correctly if arriving into Vancouver for a flight out of YVR. The Cruise Direct program has been gone for several years. I also used it in the past with RCI when arriving at YVR for a northbound cruise.

Here's a reverse timeline....

• 1:30pm wheels up
  • 10:30am arrive at airport 3hrs pre-flight for check-in, customs, security, and your complimentary searches.
  • 9:50am is the latest you should be getting into a cab or subway ride for the 35 minute trip to the airport.
  • 9am is generally recommended for debarkation with contingency for customs and luggage claiming.

Otherwise Vancouver is a great bonus port to spend a few days.

September 1st is a one ship day.... you should have minimal debarkation delays.

Thank you, everyone. I'm feeling better about the 1:30 flight. We are heading to Portland, OR to visit our son and his family for a few days, so that's the reason we are anxious to be on our way! :)

xlxo, I'm very happy to hear that September 1 is a one-ship day! Where did you find that information? Would love to have that link.

With how horrible PDX area traffic is from afternoon rushhour into early evening, your family down there will thank you for taking a 1:30 flight instead of a 4:30 if they're coming to collect you - and as said above there's virtually no risk (and certainly no remotely-likely risk) to a flight that early from YVR.

Apologies in advance for veering into unsolicited advice, but I'd still recommend extending your stay - not just because Vancouver is even better than Portland and missing out on the chance to spend even a day sightseeing is a real loss (NB: we love Portland enough to have bought a second home there, it's an informed opinion!) but because separating your onward travel from your cruise arrival by even a day opens up more transport options, including Amtrak (only the morning train goes to Portland). Even if you still chose to fly, you could arrive much earlier in the day without any risk at all of cruise-related delays, and Saturday travel is both quieter and on average a bit cheaper than Friday for flights - although being Labour Day Weekend means you're probably paying a bit of a premium on either day.

While PDX is a fantastic airport by US standards - and the carpet is perhaps the most-beloved piece of fabric in the world - flying there is something we never do by choice from Vancouver, only if forced to by work scheduling. We usually drive, which is almost as fast as flying end-to-end (5hrs 15min is our standard time including the border) by the time you factor in early arrival at airport (min 2 hours recommended) and then getting downtown from PDX (30-60mins to our place). A one-way rental without hefty drop fee won't be as easily found as one to Seattle, but is worth checking into if some flexibility in route is of interest to you.

We treat ourselves to Amtrak trips though, because it's simply by far the most civilized and enjoyable way to do the journey - minimal border hassles (done before boarding in Vancouver with none of the 'tiny liquid bottles in 1 bag' nonsense, a brief stop for dogs to sniff the train at the border itself and CBP to feel useful by asking a few randos extra questions), onboard dining (spend your last CAD at good exchange rates until Seattle) including a decent selection of booze, great views for big stretches especially along the water, comfy seats. Price is right too - $48pp Saver tix still available on Sep 2nd. The ~8 hour trip is usually very timely - there's a chunk of padding built-in at Seattle and again between Vancouver WA and PDX, we've literally never arrived late on our southbound trips (northbound OTOH, the bit from Eugene sucks for delays).

Again, sorry if you just can't imagine delaying going to visit your family by a day and the above is pointless info for you!

With how horrible PDX area traffic is from afternoon rushhour into early evening, your family down there will thank you for taking a 1:30 flight instead of a 4:30 if they're coming to collect you - and as said above there's virtually no risk (and certainly no remotely-likely risk) to a flight that early from YVR.

Apologies in advance for veering into unsolicited advice, but I'd still recommend extending your stay - not just because Vancouver is even better than Portland and missing out on the chance to spend even a day sightseeing is a real loss (NB: we love Portland enough to have bought a second home there, it's an informed opinion!) but because separating your onward travel from your cruise arrival by even a day opens up more transport options, including Amtrak (only the morning train goes to Portland). Even if you still chose to fly, you could arrive much earlier in the day without any risk at all of cruise-related delays, and Saturday travel is both quieter and on average a bit cheaper than Friday for flights - although being Labour Day Weekend means you're probably paying a bit of a premium on either day.

While PDX is a fantastic airport by US standards - and the carpet is perhaps the most-beloved piece of fabric in the world - flying there is something we never do by choice from Vancouver, only if forced to by work scheduling. We usually drive, which is almost as fast as flying end-to-end (5hrs 15min is our standard time including the border) by the time you factor in early arrival at airport (min 2 hours recommended) and then getting downtown from PDX (30-60mins to our place). A one-way rental without hefty drop fee won't be as easily found as one to Seattle, but is worth checking into if some flexibility in route is of interest to you.

We treat ourselves to Amtrak trips though, because it's simply by far the most civilized and enjoyable way to do the journey - minimal border hassles (done before boarding in Vancouver with none of the 'tiny liquid bottles in 1 bag' nonsense, a brief stop for dogs to sniff the train at the border itself and CBP to feel useful by asking a few randos extra questions), onboard dining (spend your last CAD at good exchange rates until Seattle) including a decent selection of booze, great views for big stretches especially along the water, comfy seats. Price is right too - $48pp Saver tix still available on Sep 2nd. The ~8 hour trip is usually very timely - there's a chunk of padding built-in at Seattle and again between Vancouver WA and PDX, we've literally never arrived late on our southbound trips (northbound OTOH, the bit from Eugene sucks for delays).

Again, sorry if you just can't imagine delaying going to visit your family by a day and the above is pointless info for you!

Martincath, your information is NOT pointless! (except for the decent selection of booze on Amtrak--we're teetotalers :) ). I appreciate your perspective. We had never considered Amtrak and will keep it in mind for another time. It does sound fun and relaxing. However, I booked a 1:30 p.m. flight to PDX this morning. We live in Iowa and our 13-month-old grandson (only grandchild) lives in Portland. The lure of Vancouver doesn't compare with our desire to spend time with him! A dedicated trip to Vancouver and Victoria is on our bucket list so we'll definitely be back, God willing and the creek don't rise. Thanks again.

To clarify... which Sunday? There's a little chaos early in the cruise season. But delays are minimized after a few months.

Yes 1:40pm flight should be doable on a 3 ship day.

Martincath, your information is NOT pointless! (except for the decent selection of booze on Amtrak--we're teetotalers :) ). I appreciate your perspective. We had never considered Amtrak and will keep it in mind for another time. It does sound fun and relaxing. However, I booked a 1:30 p.m. flight to PDX this morning. We live in Iowa and our 13-month-old grandson (only grandchild) lives in Portland. The lure of Vancouver doesn't compare with our desire to spend time with him! A dedicated trip to Vancouver and Victoria is on our bucket list so we'll definitely be back, God willing and the creek don't rise. Thanks again.

No worries - gotta squeeze in as much baby snuggles as you can while he's still tiny!

Tell your kids to come get you at PDX Departures level, not Arrivals - a whopping one extra flight of stairs/escalator/elevator for you, but potentially many minutes of traffic jam avoidance for them (only one access road to the terminal and Arrivals car queue gets ridiculous at times).

On a 3 ship Sunday in Vancouver, is a 1:40 flight still ok?

Agree with xlxo's points - if this is the first 3 ship May day, much worse than the last of the season in September.

I'd consider self-disembarkation (avoid searching for bags inside terminal with the rest of the horde, and also get first dibs on getting off) if you can handle your bags yourselves, and also using SkyTrain. At $2.75pp ($1.75 Seniors) it's a bargain, and unless you are among the earliest folks off the cab queue will get steadily longer (limited number of cabs, on cruise days most go to the airport then wait for an inbound fare, so it's 60-90 mins round trip before they get back and are able to pick people up again at the pier).

As long as you can roll your bags for a few blocks on wide, level sidewalks it's easy to get to SkyTrain and the Canada Line to the airport has very generous luggage room under seats, and extra legroom so you can tuck smaller bags in between your knees too. You start at one end of the line and finish at the other - so the only challenge, and it's not much of one, is making sure that a) you are on the Canada Line platform, not Expo/Millennium (signage is VERY clear); and b) you board a train that says YVR on the front - every second train branches off into suburban-commuterville rather than the airport. All the electronic signs that say 'next train in X minutes' also indicate which destination - worst case you may wait 10 minutes extra on a Sunday for the next train, but they usually ramp up service frequency on busy cruise days.

Since there will be thousands of others also heading straight to YVR, the queues at Security and CBP will get long there too - if you have Global Entry or NEXUS you can save a lot of time by using the short queues and dedicated kiosks. If you don't - consider applying! Best $50 I ever spent on my life was my NEXUS fee.

As long as you can roll your bags for a few blocks on wide, level sidewalks it's easy to get to SkyTrain and the Canada Line to the airport has very generous luggage room under seats, and extra legroom so you can tuck smaller bags in between your knees too.

I've been following this thread since we have a 1:00 pm flight scheduled after getting off our ship in Vancouver.

I figured we would probably just grab a cab to the airport, but you have me wondering if we should consider the SkyTrain. My husband and I will each have a rolling carry-on and a full size piece of luggage...oh...and also a backpack each. With this amount of luggage, is the train a good choice? :confused:

I've been following this thread since we have a 1:00 pm flight scheduled after getting off our ship in Vancouver.

I figured we would probably just grab a cab to the airport, but you have me wondering if we should consider the SkyTrain. My husband and I will each have a rolling carry-on and a full size piece of luggage...oh...and also a backpack each. With this amount of luggage, is the train a good choice? :confused:

Yes, the train will have enough space for the bags - we travel to the airport with large suitcase and rolling carryon each, all go under us no problem. Backpack on lap and you're good to go.

As xlxo said, there are alternative cab queues - the hotels mentioned, and Pacific Rim down the street, are all fancy enough to have bell staff and a taxi rank. When you hit the street outside Canada Place you can have a quick look at how many other pax are waiting/are there cabs lined up at the hotels before heading for SkyTrain. Vancouver is under-served by cabs though - worst proportion compared to population of any major Canadian city - so on 3-ship days there simply aren't enough to go everywhere there's demand.

This taxi news is making me consider just buying the dreaded cruise transfers

To put it in perspective - the first 3-ship day of the season usually results in mainstream newspapers reporting traumatic stories of cruisers waiting for up totwo or three hours in the queue for cabs. It makes the press because it's genuinely rare - I can't recall any follow-up story later in any cruise season because all the folks at the pier get their proverbial sh*t together after the first really bad day.

Even if you did actually have to wait 3 hours, if you were off the ship by 8:00am (a very conservative time considering disembarkation usually starts about 7:15am in Vancouver) you would be at the airport by noon. While YVR recommends a 3 hour pre-flight arrival, I literally cannot think of a single local who shows up more than 2 hours in advance even for US-bound flights with the extra pre-screening step here.

Personally, if I were seriously concerned about transport, I'd book a limo. Even if you pay the extra 'meet & greet' fee, you're looking at approx CAD$130 all-in for a six-pax vehicle - split it with even one another couple and congrats, you just saved enough cash for a beer at the airport compared to cruseline transfers (~US$24-29pp) AND you get to ride in your own limo - though standing in the sunroof woo-hooing while passing the crowds of taxi queuers is not recommended due to the low ceiling height at Canada Place;-)

To clarify... which Sunday? There's a little chaos early in the cruise season. But delays are minimized after a few months.

Yes 1:40pm flight should be doable on a 3 ship day.

Your advice is spot on.

I would just add that for those who are sailing early in the season when three ships are on port I would recommend doing one of the following. I would book a private vehicle, or if I wanted to take a taxi I would take my bags over to one of the nearby hotels. The lines at the port can be a nightmare particularly in the early season to get a taxi.

Keith

I will look up the walking directions from the port to the sky train. What terminal for that should I look up?

Canada Place to Waterfront Station.

Just don't be tempted by the escalators on Howe that say they go into Waterfront - they do, but it's a sprawling affair on multiple levels (regular trains, two different SkyTrain lines, and Seabus all use it, and almost everyone using the chopper service to Victoria also uses the station to access the heliport). If you go down the escalators you'll be on the Expo line platform, which serves commuters out in the eastern 'burbs - you can walk up & down more levels to get to the Canada Line, but it's much simpler to take the route linked above.

Other doors also get you into the right part of the station, but I find that the main ones on Cordova are the best choice for first-timers - easily spotted (many columns out front), ticket machines just as you enter, and access down to Canada Line clearly seen.

If you have luggage and/or that cab line is less than 20 minutes.... I would grab a cab or join the surface hotel cab lines at debarkation.

The subway...

• takes 5 to 10 minutes to drag luggage up the street ramp, then down elevators. With the 25 minute ride.... it's about the same time as the cab.
  • while some travelers are quick on the foreign subway ticket machines.... I found other tourists struggle in front of the machine...
    • how many zones?
    • what age should a child get the adult fare?
    • where is the credit card slot? Is the machine broken.

[*]if you just miss the airport train, you may need to wait another 5 minutes for the next one. Riding the wrong train and missing the Bridgeport switch can really add delays

[*]while there is luggage storage under the seats, often I see travelers keep the luggage in the aisle where the general public needs to walk around them.

• the area under the seats are dirty from other passenger shoes.... really ugly on wet days
    • boarding at the train end doors and seating at the train ends have less problems with passengers needing to walk past your luggage.

[*]2/3rds of the journey is underground.... taxi will let you enjoy the scenery