Advice needed for new to cruise honeymooners - med or Caribbean cruise for Oct 2018?

lurganboy

Hi all :D

Am actually the father of the groom, and the happy couple want to go on a cruise for their honeymoon. They will be travelling from Ireland, and prefer the idea of a Caribbean cruise, but worried about the weather for cruising at this time of the year. They would like to be cruising for 7-10 days, and happy to stay for a couple of days either side of cruise as part of any package.

I'm looking online, but there's so much out there; it's very confusing for first timers.

Would really welcome any advice.

many thanks

Welcome to cruise critic!

We've done 3 10 day Caribbean cruises (2 eastern and 1 southern) on Princess in October and had wonderful weather and lovely water temps for swimming and snorkeling. While October is still hurricane season, your son and soon to be daughter in law can be assured that the captain will do everything possible - up to and including changes to the itinerary - to keep everyone safe. Both the eastern and southern itineraries are very nice especially if they've never been to the Caribbean.

If they decide on the Caribbean and plan to spend some time in Fort Lauderdale they can check out www.sunny.org for info on hotels and attractions. Another excellent source of information on Fort Lauderdale and Miami is the Florida Departures Board here on cruise critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495.

October is still within hurricane season - which runs June through November, but the ship's captains will do everything they can to completely avoid any hurricanes that might be around. I would not be very worried about sailing in October at all. There may or may not be any hurricanes.

Here are a couple of ships with special suites for honeymoons (not sure your price point, but for such a special trip, these would be great without totally breaking the bank):

NCL Escape (roundtrip Miami) offer The Haven Spa Suites - which are ideal for a honeymoon cruise. These suites have a spa tub for 2 in the bedroom and then a large bathroom with a shower, double trough sink. The suites come with entrance to the spa thermal area for 2 - the spas on these ships are phenomenal with heated tile loungers, aromatherapy steam, sauna, sanarium, rain showers, water circuit, whirlpool and thalisotherapy pool plus a hot tub. In addition, the suites include entrance to the Haven complex - a ship within a ship area with a private restaurant, lounge and bar, pool and hot tubs and sun deck for suite guests only. To add to the pampering they would receive butler service, concierge service, VIP embarkation, their room would have a dvd player, coffee/tea machine, fresh flower arrangement, upgraded bathroom amenities, spa robes, pillow menu, free room service, daily hors'd'ouerves, welcome aboard sparkling wine and a bottle of water. They would be thoroughly spoiled.

Another outstanding option would be the MSC Yacht Club on Divina or Seaside. This will give you an idea of what it is like:

The MSC Yacht club is an all-inclusive experience that includes all beverages, dining in a special restaurant for Yacht club guests only, butler and concierge service, mini-bar included. There is also a special pool and hot tubs for suite guests only and a bar and lounge with 24 hour buffet of snacks. The Yacht club butlers cannot do enough for you - they are great! Tipping is discouraged. Access to the spa thermal suite is included with the suite but it doesn't have a thalisotherapy pool. All this for a price similar to a Junior suite on other ships - it's one of the best deals around and they would be thoroughly spoiled with this cruise as well.

Now, if you son and his bride would like to be on the world's largest cruise ship with lots of athletic things to do, great shows and specialty restaurants, there is RCCL's Harmony of the Seas sailing roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale.

If you son and his bride are more adventurous types who are not into cruise shows and don't want a big ship experience, then I think they might enjoy Windstar Cruises which are sailing yachts such as the Windsurf but have a drop down sports desk so guests can do watersports right off the back of the ship. The advantage of these sailing ships is that they can get into ports the big ships cannot get into. These ships are known for outstanding food which is cooked to order and local. They also offer James Beard culinary cruises.

Anyway, these are 4 different ideas, completely different experiences from ultra luxurious to sporty to small ship. Perhaps one of these will be of interest to your son and his bride to be.

I think a Carribean cruise would feel more special to them since they are this side of the Pond. We sailed in Hurricane season in August around the Carribbean and were fine but had a few crazy weathers trailing us cruising the West coast....couldn't really feel it at all.

The Med would be cheaper for them and you would be more likely to get a longer cruise for a better price but as much as our Med cruises were amazing they didn't compare to how exotic our Carribean/ Panama Canal cruise felt...US folk will probably feel the opposite when they comment!

Since they are looking for an October cruise and can't decide between the Med/Carribean you might be able to find a Transatlantic that does a bit of both but will be more than 10 days with less ports. If they want a lot of ports ignore that last sentence. :)

We are young cruisers and personally love Carnival and Royal.....although Royal may be better for a honeymoon. Norweigen are also great for the younger age group but we have yet to try them. Royal is also very popular with UK/Irish cruisers.

If you want something more upscale I can personally recommend Celebrity as their ships are sheek and are more romantic but less lively. Princess cruises are apparently similar to this.

Being in Ireland you have probably heard a bit about P&O/Thompson and they really target the UK and Ireland market but we avoid them as they seem to have less wow. I also avoid booking Holland America and Cunard as I worry about them having an older passenger base.

Edited by Velvetwater

I agree with all said above, and would only add that the ambiance on a Med cruise is vastly different than that of a Caribbean cruise. If the couple is thinking romantic beaches and umbrella drinks, that is more the Caribbean vibe. Med cruises tend to be more of a history, city museums, architecture type of experience. Yes, some Med ports do have beach experiences, but a Greek Isles cruises is still very different from a Caribbean cruise. What sort of hopes and expectations do these two have in mind for their cruise?

Many thanks to you all for your very informative replies - very much appreciate your time and input.

They will look into your advice and recommendations - and I hope I can come back to you with any further questions as they investigate.

thanks again!

Hi all :D

Am actually the father of the groom, and the happy couple want to go on a cruise for their honeymoon. They will be travelling from Ireland, and prefer the idea of a Caribbean cruise, but worried about the weather for cruising at this time of the year. They would like to be cruising for 7-10 days, and happy to stay for a couple of days either side of cruise as part of any package.

I'm looking online, but there's so much out there; it's very confusing for first timers.

Would really welcome any advice.

many thanks

1.We did a transatlantic (our first) in November with Royal Caribbean from Southampton to San Juan a few years ago. There was a wedding party aboard and all seemed to quite enjoy a cruiseship wedding for the 12-14 persons involved vs. a church wedding with 250 involved. Just an option to think about. Weather was fine, October would have been a bit warmer and more accommodating to the use of the pool on the many sea days.

2. But if it is strictly the honeymoon couple, I strongly recommend flying to Puerto Rico, spend 2-3 days per and post cruise (pre cruise in Old San Juan, post cruise a "jungle" lodge in the rainforest or in a beach resort) and in between a 7-10 day Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. There is nothing very inviting, much less romantic about Florida in general or Orlando or Fort Lauderdale or Miami. So I much prefer to begin a cruise out of San Juan.

3. No real need to think in terms of a "package", you can do quite well booking individual aspects of the trip on your own.

October is a difficult month for the Med, as many of the ships are leaving for their Transatlantic crossings, so that they can spend winter in the sun. There will always be Italian ships- MSC, Costa- sailing the Med all year round, but it's more or less the end of the season. The big American lines will be going, along with some of Thomson, P&O etc.

Some lines will offer flight as well as the cruise- do check the prices with independent air fares- they might be a bargain, but might not...

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done a few cruises in October and one time Hurricane Paula changed our itinerary completely.

JMO -- I think a med cruise would be fantastic for honeymooners. It may even be cheaper to fly to a port there than to fly to the states. We have done quite a few med cruises -- all different types -- and loved them all.

Sorry- I didn't look at your name... you're not far from Belfast?

Look at Thomson's offerings... they probably fly from Belfast directly to their ships in the Caribbean, and because they use their own aeroplanes, it will be a reasonable price for the full package. They do use many local airports.

We were moored behind a Thomson ship, Tui Discovery, in Barbados this Jan, and she looked a lovely ship- so nice that we'll probably go on her out of Newcastle next year. Thomson aren't the glitziest of ships, but the entertainment is amazing- some of the best at sea. And... there's no worrying about tipping, because it's all included, which makes things easier... and the drinks are UK prices.

Just a thought... :)

One word of advice - make sure that your new daughter in law books the cruise and air in her maiden name, unless they are waiting long enough after the wedding to go on the honeymoon that she can get new documents. Her ID (passport) must match the name she is booked under.

Sorry- I didn't look at your name... you're not far from Belfast?

Look at Thomson's offerings... they probably fly from Belfast directly to their ships in the Caribbean, and because they use their own aeroplanes, it will be a reasonable price for the full package. They do use many local airports.

We were moored behind a Thomson ship, Tui Discovery, in Barbados this Jan, and she looked a lovely ship- so nice that we'll probably go on her out of Newcastle next year. Thomson aren't the glitziest of ships, but the entertainment is amazing- some of the best at sea. And... there's no worrying about tipping, because it's all included, which makes things easier... and the drinks are UK prices.

Just a thought... :)

Hey - thanks for that! (aye, we're from Lurgan); my son actually booked his cruise with Royal Caribbean a couple of days ago. He wants to spend a few days either side of the cruise elsewhere in Florida, so booking things seperately.

Cheers!

One word of advice - make sure that your new daughter in law books the cruise and air in her maiden name, unless they are waiting long enough after the wedding to go on the honeymoon that she can get new documents. Her ID (passport) must match the name she is booked under.

Good advice, thanks.

I think he has done this in his booking

Hey - thanks for that! (aye, we're from Lurgan); my son actually booked his cruise with Royal Caribbean a couple of days ago. He wants to spend a few days either side of the cruise elsewhere in Florida, so booking things seperately.

Cheers!

Glad to hear he's decided... their first cruise will be so, so special.

Best wishes for a wonderful wedding.