Passport for Seattle roundtrip to Alaska?

donswife

Has anyone been to Alaska this season using a birth certificate and photo ID rather than a passport? My son might not be able to come with us on our roundtrip from Seattle, and I am not sure if my daughter's friend has to rush a passport, or if she can use her other ID. She is 18 years old. We are not going to Skagway, so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your help,

Karen

Best source of information is the cruiseline. I would go straight there for the most accurate information. We are cruising with HAL, and their policy is 16 and under can travel with birth certificate, 16 and older must have valid photo id (ie driver's license). Check with your cruiseline.

Best source of information is the cruiseline. I would go straight there for the most accurate information. We are cruising with HAL, and their policy is 16 and under can travel with birth certificate, 16 and older must have valid photo id (ie driver's license). Check with your cruiseline.

Just a clarification: 16 and over need a government-issued photo ID as well as a birth certificate. Under 16 (so, 15 and under)only requires a birth certificate.

Has anyone been to Alaska this season using a birth certificate and photo ID rather than a passport? My son might not be able to come with us on our roundtrip from Seattle, and I am not sure if my daughter's friend has to rush a passport, or if she can use her other ID. She is 18 years old. We are not going to Skagway, so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your help,

Karen

Please make sure, that if your daughter's friend goes that she has both a birth certificate and a government issues ID with photo. Also, if the ship stops in Victoria, BC, she most likely will not be allowed to pass through the customs check.

Please make sure, that if your daughter's friend goes that she has both a birth certificate and a government issues ID with photo. Also, if the ship stops in Victoria, BC, she most likely will not be allowed to pass through the customs check.

Having stopped in Vicortia 3 times since 2010, we have never been asked to present any type of ID either leaving the ship or returning. If you can't get off the ship you can't spend money in Victoria.

Edited by sapete
spelling

Having stopped in Vicortia 3 times since 2010, we have never been asked to present any type of ID either leaving the ship or returning. If you can't get off the ship you can't spend money in Victoria.

That being said I would never leave the US without a valid passport. I can think of a half dozen scenarios where you would need one even on a closed-loop cruise.

There are plenty of sad stories about passengers who were denied boarding at the very last minute because of a problem with their birth certificate. Even when HAL previously said that their birth certificate was OK. A birth certificate can be denied for many reasons.

One can get the lower cost passport card for USA citizens travelling to Mexico and Canada:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

A round trip on HAL from Seattle to Alaska will stop somewhere in Canada. Typically Victoria.

igraf

Thanks for your help,

Karen

Edited by igraf

Best source of information is the cruiseline. I would go straight there for the most accurate information. Check with your cruiseline.

There are plenty of sad stories about passengers who were denied boarding at the very last minute because of a problem with their birth certificate. Even when HAL previously said that their birth certificate was OK. A birth certificate can be denied for many reasons.

igraf

Exactly. I've read too many stories here from people who were told one thing when contacting their cruise line, but told another story once at the pier and were denied boarding.

Originally Posted by sapete

That being said I would never leave the US without a valid passport. I can think of a half dozen scenarios where you would need one even on a closed-loop cruise.

sapete,

Did you show your passport when boarding the ship during embarkation for these cruises? I you did, then I wonder if that is why you didn't need your passport to board the ship in Victoria. When we did the Panama Canal our stateroom key card was all we needed to leave and re-board the ship in South America, Central America and Mexico.

Utahtea

Hi

How old is the young woman if she is young they may not let her travel without a parent.. Same as your son both parents. I am not sure what the age is but witl all the parent kidnappenings.

Also you may be not allowed on board without a passport. What ports are you stopping at

Mary

Hi

How old is the young woman if she is young they may not let her travel without a parent.. Same as your son both parents. I am not sure what the age is but witl all the parent kidnappenings.

Also you may be not allowed on board without a passport. What ports are you stopping at

Mary

OP said she is 18. She's an adult.

But, even if she wasn't, as long as the adults traveling have a permission letter from the parent, they're good to go.

I agree that a passport is the best ID to take. But, in most cases, on a closed loop cruise US citizens have a minimum requirement of a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

But, I'll also point out that cruise lines can and do have stricter requirements in the necessary ID department than the immigration people do.

That's why asking at the cruise line is the first step. But confirming with the passport people is a good idea also.

sapete,

Did you show your passport when boarding the ship during embarkation for these cruises? I you did, then I wonder if that is why you didn't need your passport to board the ship in Victoria. When we did the Panama Canal our stateroom key card was all we needed to leave and re-board the ship in South America, Central America and Mexico.

Utahtea

I agree, your card is always scanned departing and returning to the ship. The poster I quoted indicated the someone would not be able to enter Canada/Victoria with just an ID and BC. I pointed out that Canadian officials in Victoria never asked for any form of ID passing through the port facilities in Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the feedback. I don't want to invite any of my daughter's friends until we find out whether my son will get the camp job, just in case he doesn't, and is able to go on the cruise. I do feel more prepared now, and both my kids have passports. I don't know about the friends, but I would only take one who is 18. I just hate being at loose ends!

Exactly. I've read too many stories here from people who were told one thing when contacting their cruise line, but told another story once at the pier and were denied boarding.

In those cases there was something unusual about the birth certificate. Like the story some months back about the gentleman who tried to board with a German birth certificate after being told by HAL that it was OK.

You will not need a passport to board this cruise or get off the ship at Canadian ports. The only exception is land excursions that cross the US/Canadian border - there a birth certificate will not suffice.

Here's a quote from HAL's website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a valid US passport or a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her U.S. government issued birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card or an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&WT.ac=pnav_FBG_CruisePrep#

And here's a quote from Canada Border Services Agency:

Identification for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

Yes, a passport is recommended. No, a passport is not required.

The cruise line's written policies can usually be relied upon, but verbal information given over the phone may not be accurate.

Thank you for all the feedback. I don't want to invite any of my daughter's friends until we find out whether my son will get the camp job, just in case he doesn't, and is able to go on the cruise. I do feel more prepared now, and both my kids have passports. I don't know about the friends, but I would only take one who is 18. I just hate being at loose ends!

Hope your son can make the cruise.

Do let us know what happens.

I believe it was a case of children born to American parents while stationed in Germany.

Please do not suggest to anyone that a birth certificate is dependable. Get the passport.

igraf

In those cases there was something unusual about the birth certificate. Like the story some months back about the gentleman who tried to board with a German birth certificate after being told by HAL that it was OK.

I believe it was a case of children born to American parents while stationed in Germany.

Please do not suggest to anyone that a birth certificate is dependable. Get the passport.

Here is the "German birth certificate thread"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1790403&highlight=disasterdam

That thread was full of posters saying, incorrectly, that a passport is required. What was required was a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which is the equivalent of a BC for US citizens born in other countries.

Many cruisers sail with BCs and it complies with HAL's written policy. So a birth certificate is not dependable because...?

Edited by dwjoe

igraf

If a child is born overseas to parents who are stationed in another country other than the United States that child will be issued 1.) a birth certificate from the hospital delivering the child 2.) paperwork completed by the parents that were forwarded to the United States Consulate that services that location AND 3. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (AKA a State Department Birth Certificate).

How do I know this????? My sister born in England in 1957 has all three of these documents and my youngest son born in Turkey in 1975 has all three also.

IMOP - with our nation become populated with people who are working more and more out of this country, EVERYONE should have a passport. They should make an effort to obtain one when reaching the age of 18. You never know when a person will be required to travel outside the US.

The drama continues: the boy got the camp job, so now we are trying to find one of my daughter's friends who is available to come with us that week. Eighteen year old girls are busy!

The drama continues: the boy got the camp job, so now we are trying to find one of my daughter's friends who is available to come with us that week. Eighteen year old girls are busy!

If you use a birth certificate, keep in mind the following:

Hospital-issued BCs are not acceptable. It must be issued by a US government authority (state, county, city).

Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/2010 are not acceptable.