Guernsey on your own

So now I would love to know who your wife is if that is not too personal a question? I also attended Elizabeth College...took an A and S level there!!! Blanchelande didn't offer the Biology course I needed!!!My maiden name was Hutton.

Penny :)

My wife started at Blanchelande 2 or 3 years after you left.

I remember you and your 2 friends at the College, indeed a small world, even spooooky. Won't mention how many years ago.

Nigel

We are looking forwards to coming ashore...a few of my "old" classmates are getting together and so Guernsey will be the highlight od our cruise! i am meeting one of my friends who also attended Elizabeth College with me in Amsterdam...the other one I shall see in Guernsey! Yay...by the way we would appreciate sunny weather and calm seas!!!

We just returned home from our July 15 Silhouette BI sailing. Our port stop in Guernsey was by far the one we enjoyed the most. We were so lucky to have a beautiful sunny day and calm seas. Even the tendering process was fairly smooth, without any major problem. St. Peter Port is such a pretty town. After our fabulous walking tour with Annette Henry (she is truly amazing), we wished we had more time to explore the town and elsewhere on the island. We did visit Ben Le Prevost and his fabulous chocolate emporium, and brought home some very tasty samples of his work. We also did the round the island bus trip....only 1GBP....what a deal! We got to see some of the fabulous beaches on the other side of the island. We promised ourselves we would definitely come back some day.

Sam

So happy that you enjoyed this beautiful part of the world! You have given me hope that I will make it ashore to see old friends!!! Thanks for posting!!

Penny

We just returned home from our July 15 Silhouette BI sailing. Our port stop in Guernsey was by far the one we enjoyed the most. We were so lucky to have a beautiful sunny day and calm seas. Even the tendering process was fairly smooth, without any major problem. St. Peter Port is such a pretty town. After our fabulous walking tour with Annette Henry (she is truly amazing), we wished we had more time to explore the town and elsewhere on the island. We did visit Ben Le Prevost and his fabulous chocolate emporium, and brought home some very tasty samples of his work. We also did the round the island bus trip....only 1GBP....what a deal! We got to see some of the fabulous beaches on the other side of the island. We promised ourselves we would definitely come back some day.

Sam

Thanks for taking the time to post Sam, am so looking forward to visiting Guernsey, we also plan on riding the bus around the island. Just picked the Literary and Potato Peel Society book from the library the other day, my pre-cruise reading material:D

So happy that you enjoyed this beautiful part of the world! You have given me hope that I will make it ashore to see old friends!!! Thanks for posting!!

Penny

Penny, see you next week, I haven't forgotten the tender tickets:)

The Celebrity Silhouette was at St Peter Port today and in the landing area some nice seating appeared. Not to sure whether it was Celebrity's or Guernsey's own!!

Image of it on my blogs post for today, http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

The past cruises I have had with Celebrity they have had some very nice seating at the dock.

Last night the Hebridean Princess spent the night in St Peter Port, I suppose the best sort of tender, one you cruise on!!. Update on the blog.

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel

Sail like royalty on the Queen's "own" cruise liner :)

Very nice to be able to park at the Condor dock.

Love your blog Nigel. Great to see some photos of "home" (GG Grandfather was born on Sark and is buried at the Vale church) and the islands have a firm place in my heart :)

I've been thinking about the round-island bus (91? 92? it's still #7 to me). Rather than simply take the round trip for £1, why not hop on & off and see some sights? Time might be a consideration that would mean a prioritization of stops, but where might you suggest people stop for a look-see? I was thinking the German observation tower at Pleinmont (though a good hike up & down the hill); Vazon Bay is a favourite of mine..perhaps a pint at Crabby Jacks, or a snack at Vistas; both the Vale and Torteval churches are along the way; maybe a stop at Fermain and a walk down to the cafe. I think one could make a full day of it. Thoughts?

I am sorry if this has already been answered but is it possible to. Walk from St Peter Port to the underground hospital?

Thank oyu

It's certainly possible to walk, but it's probably over an hour, with much of it being uphill from St Peter Port. A bus would be your best bet for only a pound each way.

Dave

Oh great thank you for the info

Couldn't easily grab the link while on my phone the other day, but here's the bus timetable (pdf): http://hctgroup.org/uploaded/Guernsey/Timetables/Summer%202015/Summer%20Timetable%20S15.pdf

The last page has a list of numbered visitor attractions.

And the site from which the bus schedule came: http://hctgroup.org/ct_plus_guernsey/timetables_2

The #71 Bus will get you from town to the Underground Hospital. The museum is a short walk from the St Andrews Church stop. It's also not far from the Little Chapel.

St Peter Port crossings into town from where you land at the end of The Albert Pier are changing next week. The crossing by the Town Church will close as that area reverts to two lines of traffic Southbound.

That means going via the Bus Station into town, or walk along the Old Harbour and up Pier Steps bring you out in the middle of the High St, much nicer but steps.

Picture on the blog if you want to see what is closing.

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

St Peter Port crossings into town from where you land at the end of The Albert Pier are changing next week. The crossing by the Town Church will close as that area reverts to two lines of traffic Southbound.

That means going via the Bus Station into town, or walk along the Old Harbour and up Pier Steps bring you out in the middle of the High St, much nicer but steps.

Picture on the blog if you want to see what is closing.

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

Nigel,

We will be on the next sailing of Royal Princess arriving on Friday the 14th..are their any special activities to look for that day? Thanks for your informative posts!

Nigel,

We will be on the next sailing of Royal Princess arriving on Friday the 14th..are their any special activities to look for that day? Thanks for your informative posts!

Sorry to have missed as we were in Edinburgh, just got back last night. Been there for the Royal Tattoo and the Fringe Events/atmosphere. I hope you enjoyed your day in Guernsey and the weather was kind. I assume you will visit Edinburgh, we had a brilliant time and I hope you make the most of the visit, any questions, just ask.

Got a picture of the Royal Princess as we came into land, its on the blog,

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel

We will be arriving in Guernsey at the end May, 2016, on the Celebrity Silhouette. If we were thinking about taking the #91 or #92 bus around the island, are the lines long to get on such that you would have to wait for a couple of hours to get on a bus? What is the best time to catch the bus to avoid the lines?

If you were trying to decide between an Annette Henry tour or the bus around the island because we don't have time to do both, which would you recommend?

Connie

We will be arriving in Guernsey at the end May, 2016, on the Celebrity Silhouette. If we were thinking about taking the #91 or #92 bus around the island, are the lines long to get on such that you would have to wait for a couple of hours to get on a bus? What is the best time to catch the bus to avoid the lines?

If you were trying to decide between an Annette Henry tour or the bus around the island because we don't have time to do both, which would you recommend?

Connie

With regards to the lines for the 91 or 92 bus, it is difficult to say. I think the bus company do try to put on extra buses when there are a large number of cruise visitors expected. When I have had to walk past the lines at lunchtime, they can be long, all I would say is that you should try to get off the ship as early as possible, and then go straight for the bus. Hopefully you could then catch an early bus, and then spend time in town afterwards, perhaps visiting Victor Hugo house or Castle Cornet.

I have never been on an Annette Henry tour, however many have from where I work, and they have all come back with good reports.

Sorry, I can not recommend one from the other, as it depends on what interests you most and is important to you.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your day in Guernsey.

With regards to the lines for the 91 or 92 bus, it is difficult to say. I think the bus company do try to put on extra buses when there are a large number of cruise visitors expected. When I have had to walk past the lines at lunchtime, they can be long, all I would say is that you should try to get off the ship as early as possible, and then go straight for the bus. Hopefully you could then catch an early bus, and then spend time in town afterwards, perhaps visiting Victor Hugo house or Castle Cornet.

I have never been on an Annette Henry tour, however many have from where I work, and they have all come back with good reports.

Sorry, I can not recommend one from the other, as it depends on what interests you most and is important to you.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to questions!

Connie

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to questions!

Connie

No problem at all. If you have any other questions, feel free to post, and I or one of the other Guernsey locals will try to help.

I forgot to say the Silhouette is one of our favourite ships, I am sure you will have a great time.

Connie

Hi,

I would go for the Annette Henry tour if you are limited by time. The lines for the bus can be awful as the first tenders come ashore, as said sometimes they put on extra ones which do help. If you are on the wrong side of the bus you will not have good views of the beaches etc as you go round the coast.

The walking tour will only be around St Peter Port though and you will not see much of the island.

Just a suggestion, but as early as you can ashore, a 20 min walk south along east coast towards Fort George and the "Cows Horn", a look along along the east coast cliffs and bays and the back along the cliff path into town for the walk. (All depends on time of walk and the weather!!)

Nigel & Lesley

Hi,

I would go for the Annette Henry tour if you are limited by time. The lines for the bus can be awful as the first tenders come ashore, as said sometimes they put on extra ones which do help. If you are on the wrong side of the bus you will not have good views of the beaches etc as you go round the coast.

The walking tour will only be around St Peter Port though and you will not see much of the island.

Just a suggestion, but as early as you can ashore, a 20 min walk south along east coast towards Fort George and the "Cows Horn", a look along along the east coast cliffs and bays and the back along the cliff path into town for the walk. (All depends on time of walk and the weather!!)

Nigel & Lesley

I so appreciate all the information you are providing. Now I just have to figure out what to do. I would like to go around the whole island but I don't want to wait in long lines either. I have heard Annette Henry gives a wonderful tour--such decisions to be made, hummmm! Thank you for your excellent input!

Connie

No problem at all. If you have any other questions, feel free to post, and I or one of the other Guernsey locals will try to help.

I forgot to say the Silhouette is one of our favourite ships, I am sure you will have a great time.

From the stern of the Silhouette 7.25.2015 looking west at St Peter Port, tenders from the ship in the background:

IMG_3895.jpg

A cold Peroni at Mora Restaurant/Bar:

IMG_3897.jpg

Hi,

Nigel & Lesley

Which is the right side of the bus as opposed to the wrong side to get the optimum view?

Thank you,

Connie

We were in St Peter Port earlier this month on the Silhouette and were off the ship by 8.30. The first bus is at at 9am and we made it with plenty of time, there were hardly ten of us on it, including some locals. Got off at the German War Museum which we thoroughly enjoyed, such great insight into life in the islands during the Occupation.

Apparently the bus service runs just once an hour (they didn't have any extra buses the day we were there) so we decided to skip the Little Chapel and take the next bus round the island to Fort Henry, then walk St Peter Port. However it started raining by the time we got there and we just stayed on till the bus came back to town. Walked around the little town a bit, then up to Castle Cornet, by which time the rain got worse, so we took the tender back.

Despite the dreary weather we loved Guernsey and were happy to get a taste of the place, albeit a small one. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice, we do hope to go back some day for a longer stay...:)

Edited by prish

Which is the right side of the bus as opposed to the wrong side to get the optimum view?

Thank you,

Connie

Hi,

The 92 goes around the island anti clockwise and the 91 clockwise. Depending on whether you want to look inland or the beaches when you get to the west coast you may want to plan accordingly.

Nigel