Formal Nights on Solstice

torchlight

No need for a dinner jacket but usually jacket and tie for formal nights. The dress code is much more relaxed these days and a lot depends on the MDR management. Sometimes they enforce the dress code and other times and other ships not. Also formal dress only applies to the MDR. Smart casual is the dress code every night in the speciality restaurants and Blu.

Could someone please tell me if the men need to wear a dinner jacket for the formal nights? Or is just a shirt and tie enough? Thanks

On the 3 celebrity solstice class ships I have been on a jacket was required with trousers & shirt on formal nights but no tie... On each occasion I put the jacket on the back of the chair as I'm just not comfy wearing it while I'm eating... Never felt out of place or that people were looking at me! Not that that would bother me as I pay for my holiday and will enjoy it as I please... Within the rules of course!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the 3 celebrity solstice class ships I have been on a jacket was required with trousers & shirt on formal nights but no tie... On each occasion I put the jacket on the back of the chair as I'm just not comfy wearing it while I'm eating... Never felt out of place or that people were looking at me! Not that that would bother me as I pay for my holiday and will enjoy it as I please... Within the rules of course!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too find eating with a jacket on uncomfortable and cumbersome.

So a typical formal night could involve departing one's cabin with one's jacket held loosely over the shoulder. Upon reaching the queue for the cattle-class feeding zone (i.e. the MDR) one respectfully dons the jacket, makes the short trek to one's table then removes the jacket and places it contemptuously over the back of the chair, never to wear it again. Everyone applauds you for honouring the dress code.

All rather silly, really. I think I'll just eat somewhere else.

• 9 months later...

Disembarked Celebrity Solstice today. My hubby wore shirt and tie with no jacket to all 3 formal nights and fit in just fine. There were a few tux's. A lot with shirt/jacket some with tie some without. Also a lot with shirt and tie. Even some without tie or jacket. Look like you've made an effort and you'll be fine.

Maybe they relax the rule when in Australia, but the written dress code is still the dress code. Better be ready to comply or take the chance of embarrassment, or worse, being turned away from the MDR.

Perhaps they do relax it or Aus.... If they stuck strictly to the dress code for our Aus/NZ cruise 50-60% of people would have been turned away from the dining room. We had 3 formal nights. By the last one, it seemed anything was ok. I even saw sports shirt with leather bomber jacket in the dining room that night.

We cruised in Jan 14 and were disappointed to see people wearing T Shirts on the formal nights.

I guess they like the attention even it is not the sort I would like :)

It is a bit hard to enforce

Was this in the main dining room, though? I have not seen that before but have seen denied entrance into the MDR without proper attire?

If they weren't going to the main dining room, they can wear whatever they want. Gone are the days where they suggest you stay in formal wear throughout the evening on formal nights.

It was in the MDR

The food was still great and the staff were awesome

I believe the staff respect and enjoy passengers who do the right thing

It's amazing to see the staff do the extras when you treat them well

They are people too and many of them work hard and do not enjoy the lifestyle of most passengers

A shirt and tie is more than sufficient and what I wore on my formal nights on Celebrity. There's a vocal minority of cruisers who think that anything less than a tux is subversive--but you're there to relax and enjoy your vacation, not to play dress up to enhance theirs.