Orlando To Fort Lauderdale

smilepak

Hi,

Anyone every booked a RCL cruise to the East Caribbean (Allure Of The Sea) leaving out of Fort Lauderdale, but fly into Orlando, FL?

I am planning a trip with some families who will be flying into Orlando a few days earlier and will be meeting up with them. Does RCL offer shuttle service from Orlando Airport to the cruiseship when booking with RCL?

There will be approx 6-8 of us, so renting a small car or taxi might be too expensive.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Royal Caribbean only offers shuttles to MIA and FLL from Port Everglades. Renting a car may be your cheaper option as it is a 3.5 hour drive. Amtrak has a train from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, but may have to arrive a day early as the train will arrive after sailaway.

American Airlines offers flights from MCO to MIA (Orlando to Miami), and Silver Airways offers flights from MCO to FLL (Fort Fauderdale).

Good Luck!

The one time I traveled between those 2 cities, DH and I rented a car. I don't recall it being very expensive for the one way rental...

It looks like you could ride a bus for about $25 a person:

http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com/

I wouldn't even pay the cost RCL wanted for getting from the Orlando airport to the Port Canaveral terminal. It was just about as much as my airfare from ATL to MCO...I can't imagine what it would be to go all the way to FLL from MCO if they even offered the service.

There will be approx 6-8 of us, so renting a small car or taxi might be too expensive.

We are thinking about doing a third cruise out of Port Everglades the day after the second of our B2B Freedom cruises return to Port Canaveral on Nov.1st and I am finding doing a one way car rental, for you maybe two cars, is the best option cost wise. Using the site below for Nov.1st it would cost around $45 for a compact car and about $55 for a full size, taxes and fees in, to do this between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. Even with the gas and toll cost it is still an inexpensive way for us to do this and offers great flexibility.

http://www.carrentals.com/

Edited by robtulipe

Hi,

Anyone every booked a RCL cruise to the East Caribbean (Allure Of The Sea) leaving out of Fort Lauderdale, but fly into Orlando, FL?

I am planning a trip with some families who will be flying into Orlando a few days earlier and will be meeting up with them. Does RCL offer shuttle service from Orlando Airport to the cruiseship when booking with RCL?

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

We just did this exact itinerary. The round trip flight from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale was very expensive. We actually flew into Orlando rented a 15 passenger van and a Toyota Camry and drove the ten of us to Fort Lauderdale to get on the Oasis of the Seas. We flew in on a Thursday did Disney World on Friday and drove in on Saturday morning to get on the cruise. The rental car was $68 and the 15 passenger van was $348 thru Alamo. The flight cost was $209 from New Orleans to Orlando and then $68 from Fort Lauderdale back to New Orleans.

Definitely rent a couple of cars or a van if you can find a good rate. It's an easy drive (once you get out of the Orlando madhouse) but it does take awhile. Check out rentalcarmomma.com for coupon codes to get a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely rent a couple of cars or a van if you can find a good rate. It's an easy drive (once you get out of the Orlando madhouse) but it does take awhile. Check out rentalcarmomma.com for coupon codes to get a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by the mad house? Downtown Orlando, yes, but MCO is right on 528, which takes you to 95. There really is no Orlando in that drive. Out of MCO and onto 528, and straight to I95. It's an easy drive out to 95.

Another vote for rental car... It's a very easy drive from Orlando to Ft. Liquordale, most major rental companies don't charge a drop off fee for a drop at a different location. I would estimate the tolls would be under $10.

Be careful with the tolls. Parts of the Florida Turnpike system and many other toll roads now only use SunPass (no cash ) on the roads. Otherwise, you will be billed by plate number after the fact at a substantially higher rate. And no, you don't avoid the issue by using a rental car. Either the company will rent you a SunPass at a hefty rate or will nail you with the SunPass plate charges plus a rental company service fee for processing (remember, they do have your credit card number and it will be a valid charge so fighting it will not work).

Bringing your own Easy Pass from out of state doesn't work. Easy Pass is not accepted.

Be careful with the tolls. Parts of the Florida Turnpike system and many other toll roads now only use SunPass (no cash ) on the roads. Otherwise, you will be billed by plate number after the fact at a substantially higher rate. And no, you don't avoid the issue by using a rental car. Either the company will rent you a SunPass at a hefty rate or will nail you with the SunPass plate charges plus a rental company service fee for processing (remember, they do have your credit card number and it will be a valid charge so fighting it will not work).

Bringing your own Easy Pass from out of state doesn't work. Easy Pass is not accepted.

This is true. However there is a work around. For around 4.99 you can get a transponder for yourself. $10 min initial deposit when you set up your account, and you are good to go. You will save the $5 on the trip from MCO down to FLL. You can keep the transponder for future visits to FL.

Click here for more information.

So far I have only seen the no cash toll terminals at some of the minor exits. In the Orlando area they have both cash and E-Pass (not Easy Pass) along with Sun Pass at all the major toll plazas. It was mentioned in an earlier post, but if the OP is renting the car from MCO then they could use the Beach Line (FL-528) East and pick up I-95S to FLL. You would only have to deal with tolls on 528... cash accepted. Buying a Sun Pass transponder ahead by mail is a good idea as well. Note... Sun Pass can be used on toll roads that are managed by the Central Florida Expressway... E-Pass.

If you drive, take the turnpike. Cash is accepted (or sunpass).

It's an easy drive and more direct than taking 528 over to I-95.

Tolls...yes....but insignificant compared to what you are paying for your whole trip.

Construction is ongoing on I-95 (no winter break)....not so much on the turnpike. :D

I am over on the west coast, north of Tampa. I don't know if it is a trend, but more of the toll roads around here are phasing out the cash option and going strictly to SunPass or later billing by plate number.

I suspect that it is a plan to phase out the cash tolls and my post was intended to be a heads up the crazy system and not be taken by surprise if one runs into it (the moment of panic of "I am on a toll road without a cash option and don't know what to do).

Thanks for all the quick replies. I see the consensus is car rental.

If we do a one way car rental from Orlando to Port of Everglades (Ft Lauderdale), are there car rental return in there?

Option #1

We all fly into Orlando and rent a van to drive down.

One option we could do is Fly into Orlando and fly out of Ft Lauderdale. So a one way van rental might do the trick.

Option #2

Since some of us are already in Orlando, the rest fly into Ft Lauderdale, wait for everyone to show up, and use Royal Caribbean Bus service from Ft Lauderdale to Port Everglades?

Either option, fly out from Ft Lauderdale home.

I have done it once before only because I cruised one week on a Port Canaveral based ship and then a FLL ship. So I did the Port Canaveral Cruise and then took the shuttle back to the airport (Cheaper than a car out of Port Canaveral) and drove down. It was almost a 4 hour drive down from the airport.

There is NO RCCL Shuttle for this, and like I said a 3.5 - 4 hour drive (if no delays). (Plus the time to return the car and get to the pier) so unless you want to get up very early in the morning from Orlando - which if getting up early is fine, its not a problem, if you want to sleep in you will have to drive down the night before.

If your round trip will be from Orlando, I would honestly recommend staying over a night in Orlando once you drive back up from FLL. Just because you never know what delays you could have at the rental car area, getting off the ship, etc, you would be pressed for time to make a flight out of MCO.

With that being said... If your airfare rates are anything like mine are lately going to FLL/MIA and you have that many people. If you have the extra time and want to meet with the people in the Orlando area, and don't mind the drive, this may be a very viable option for you.

I am over on the west coast, north of Tampa. I don't know if it is a trend, but more of the toll roads around here are phasing out the cash option and going strictly to SunPass or later billing by plate number.

I suspect that it is a plan to phase out the cash tolls and my post was intended to be a heads up the crazy system and not be taken by surprise if one runs into it (the moment of panic of "I am on a toll road without a cash option and don't know what to do).

Having frequently used rental cars in the Florida area before cruises I have noticed that most of them have sun pass built into them. The rental car companies charge a few bucks a day if you use the sun pass (Plus the tolls you go through with the pass), but now I guess I will have to make sure it is offered on the vehicles I rent.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for all the quick replies. I see the consensus is car rental.

If we do a one way car rental from Orlando to Port of Everglades (Ft Lauderdale), are there car rental return in there?

Option #1

We all fly into Orlando and rent a van to drive down.

One option we could do is Fly into Orlando and fly out of Ft Lauderdale. So a one way van rental might do the trick.

Option #2

Since some of us are already in Orlando, the rest fly into Ft Lauderdale, wait for everyone to show up, and use Royal Caribbean Bus service from Ft Lauderdale to Port Everglades?

Either option, fly out from Ft Lauderdale home.

I would choose option 1, and do a one-way van rental to Ft. Lauderdale.

There are a few rental agencies near the port that have free shuttles to the cruise terminals. One is Avis on 17th St. I believe Budget also has an office nearby. There may be others. Choose one of these, as opposed to returning the car to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

I travel to Orlando on business quite a bit and always rent a car. They are starting to phase out the transponders on the rental cars and are just going with the license plate option. You just drive through the toll booths and a few weeks after your rental you get a separate bill for your tolls on your credit card, with a surcharge for the "convenience".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There are a few rental agencies near the port that have free shuttles to the cruise terminals. One is Avis on 17th St. I believe Budget also has an office nearby. There may be others. Choose one of these, as opposed to returning the car to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

Avis/Budget is the same company. I would call the 17th st office and ask if they shuttle to the ships. I think they do.

As for those flying directly to FLL...no need for them to hang around the airport waiting for you...taxi to the port is less than $20. They could be checked in, onboard and eating lunch before you arrive from Orlando! :rolleyes: