Disembarkation and catching a Flight

bartolino

:confused:

We will be returning from a Princess Mexico 7 night cruise on March 22nd. The itinerary says the ship docks at Long Beach Terminal at 7:00am. I'm trying to decide which flight to book for our return to Portland, OR out of Long Beach airport. The safe bet is the 6:09pm flight, but there's an 11:05am flight that would get us home quicker.

I'd like to take one of the cheap shuttles from the cruise terminal to the airport, but not sure of the time. Perhaps a cab would work better? I've read you can request early disembarkation...but maybe we want to linger on the ship?

What's my best bet here?

Out of Long Beach AP -- maybe.

Remember, you shouldn't look at the time your flight is scheduled to depart. Instead look at what time you must be at the AP to make your flight. For an 11 a.m. departure you should arrive at 9:30 a.m. Knowing how positively horrible Southern California traffic can be, do you still think you can have the ship dock, disembark, find your luggage (if you don't do self disembark) clear US Customs, get a ride & make it to the AP? Sounds awfully stressful to me.

@ bartolino

Princess really has a whole lot less to do about your timing than the fact that VERY FEW TAXIS are allowed into Long Beach port. Probably the low-bidder OR the high political contributor??? There are one or two people who take your name and presumably assess your luggage-space-requirements and then call you when your turn for that sized car or mini-van comes up. The line is very long!

I cannot remember what the procedure was for shuttles, I'll write back tonight if DH remembers or knows more than I do.

There might also be the renowned LA traffic to deal with, even though it's Sunday.

I would not book the earlier flight unless you (1) skip breakfast, (2) carry all your own baggage off at first possible time, and (3) have a confirmed shuttle waiting for you.

I would skip the taxi bit and go straight for Uber in Long Beach. That way you can skip the taxi line and know your ride is on the way. Personally I wouldn't do a 11:10 flight but if you do self-disembark and haul ass I bet you can make it.

I'd relax and have a leisurely breakfast while the others are scrambling about to get off the ship quickly. THEN, call a cab company and have them come get you (it doesn't cost any more to call for one). Go to LGB. Go to my favorite place of any airport (well, outside of the little dirt strip "executive lounge" in the Masai Mara where we had giraffes watching us) to wait for a flight - the 4th Street Vine Wine & Beer Bar. It has a great selection of wines and tapas. Very comfy sofas to sit on the outside patio part of the Bar and there are little fire gardens around. I've sat there for a few hours, sipping wine, having some really good cheeses, olives, breads, nuts, and making use of the free wifi.

Don't even consider this unless you can self-disembark (carry your own luggage off the ship unassisted) and arrange to be in the first group allowed off the ship. I would arrange for a car service or shuttle in advance, so that it is waiting for you.

Have you asked your question on the west coast departures board? You should be able to get good advice there regarding getting to the airport early enough to catch that flight (or not). http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

We will be returning from a Princess Mexico 7 night cruise on March 22nd. The itinerary says the ship docks at Long Beach Terminal at 7:00am. I'm trying to decide which flight to book for our return to Portland, OR out of Long Beach airport. The safe bet is the 6:09pm flight, but there's an 11:05am flight that would get us home quicker.

I'd like to take one of the cheap shuttles from the cruise terminal to the airport, but not sure of the time. Perhaps a cab would work better? I've read you can request early disembarkation...but maybe we want to linger on the ship?

What's my best bet here?

Self disembark, catch a taxi for $45.00 and be to LGB by 9 am.. The trip is less than 10 miles..happy cruising.. use the porters and they will take you straight to customs ..

What's my best bet here?

I would suggest you take the 11am flight and do self disembark. Otherwise you are going to get a little bored waiting around for a 6pm flight unless Princess offers a tour, which most likely will end at LAX, not Long Beach.

I made a mistake on the first post... the ship returns to San Pedro on Saturday March, 21 @ 7:00am. I decided to make a reservation for the 6pm flight for a number of reasons. Being the first cruise we've ever taken, and not being in a rush, I'd like to error on the side of caution and just relax during the whole process.

The last time I tried to rush and cut a flight close, I almost missed a layover flight from Chicago to Munich, Germany. Learned my lesson that time and decided never again.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and happy cruising!

I made a mistake on the first post... the ship returns to San Pedro on Saturday March, 21 @ 7:00am. I decided to make a reservation for the 6pm flight for a number of reasons. Being the first cruise we've ever taken, and not being in a rush, I'd like to error on the side of caution and just relax during the whole process.

The last time I tried to rush and cut a flight close, I almost missed a layover flight from Chicago to Munich, Germany. Learned my lesson that time and decided never again.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and happy cruising!

You will NOT be allowed to stay on the ship. EVERYBODY has to be off before the new passengers can board. Those new passengers begin boarding around noon. You are going to have to amuse yourself for at least six hours.