UDP reservation times are TERRIBLE :(

On my May cruise on the Pearl, I called and tried to make a reservation for one in Teppanyaki (I didn't have the UDP) and was told that I could not. I had to pay for two and then when on board the ship, they cancelled the the second person and gave me OBC for that cost.

I have read other similar reports. Seems to me like a strange way to handle it. Not just for the solo cruiser - but all those with an odd number in their party. 😜

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like to me that with the UDP, all you get is pre-paid meals in the specialty venues, not priority reservations. My guess is that reservations for prime dining times will still be controlled, some on a first come first served basis, and others for the use of the Concierge for guests in the Haven Suites. Face it, not everyone can eat at the same time in the smaller restaurants.:rolleyes:

It looks like to me that with the UDP, all you get is pre-paid meals in the specialty venues, not priority reservations. My guess is that reservations for prime dining times will still be controlled, some on a first come first served basis, and others for the use of the Concierge for guests in the Haven Suites. Face it, not everyone can eat at the same time in the smaller restaurants.:rolleyes:
I'm a planner, so I booked all my reservations for my upcoming November cruise 100 days out and got all the times I was looking for.

On my May cruise on the Pearl, I called and tried to make a reservation for one in Teppanyaki (I didn't have the UDP) and was told that I could not. I had to pay for two and then when on board the ship, they cancelled the the second person and gave me OBC for that cost.

I'm glad they that straightened out for you. I'll change my reservation when I get on board--I went ahead and made it for 2 since I've read that Teppanyaki can be difficult to get into. Since I have UDP, it'll be a matter of just cancelling the one. :D

*fingers crossed* that you can get it straightened out once on board!!

Makes NO sense that with the all studio cabins (aka: solo cruisers) you are unable to book a solo dinner reservation.

Thanks, Lynn!

It really isn't a big deal at all, although it does (initially) take away from the planned variety.

And regarding the studios . . . there's a continually growing odd 'embrace' by the cruise line for these passengers.

The newest head-scratcher is that those in studio cabins are not eligible for the newly introduced All-Inclusive (ALLIN) package. Nope they won't take my money to add it to my 2015 and forward bookings. Yes, it's in the 'fine print' (via link), but in the colorful Big Print it not only offers instructions for booking, but uses a screen shot that shows accommodation types, including Studios. Go figure.

A solo would need to book for two, and pre-pay for the extra person.

Since you have UDP, you would not have to prepay for the extra. You can book 6 if you want, and as long as you have UDP, you don't have to prepay for any. It gets settled up on board. So book 2 and change it to 1 on the ship.

Since you have UDP, you would not have to prepay for the extra. You can book 6 if you want, and as long as you have UDP, you don't have to prepay for any. It gets settled up on board. So book 2 and change it to 1 on the ship.

I, too, thought that might be the case, so I tried it to see what would show in my cart. Everything else had a $0 charge, and the Le Bistro booking showed one cover being added.

The web site was down from 10:00pm Saturday until 10:00am Sunday, and this was attempted the moment the site came back online. I'm thinking the glitches will be worked out, and I'm still pleased with what I have booked . . . and the great pricing overall.

But it definitely was going to create a charge if I continued with the Le Bistro booking for 2.

This is just nuts on so many levels. 1) Jerking around a solo on a dinner reservation, and 2) Making ANYBODY pay in advance for an empty chair, regardless of whether they credit the overcharge back or not.

I'm trying to think of any land-based restaurant that charges a fee and rounds it up to the next even person when you simply call to make a reservation.

I have a problem with paying for ANY meal, anywhere, MONTHS before I'm going to eat it. I'm just thrifty that way. ;)

I haven't sailed with NCL in quite a while, so I've been boning up here on the intricacies of Freestyle, and I'm scratching my head that anybody thinks all this plotting, planning, and paying in advance is somehow "freer" than traditional dining. It's bureaucracy of the highest order, and it seems all geared to improving the "float" of NCL's bank account. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

As a solo on Getaway soon, I'm not making any reservation or buying the UDP. I don't think I'll come out ahead $$, and if they won't accommodate reservations for one (the site showed no times when I tried to make one), why even bother? I'll just pop in where I see empty tables and take my chances. There's always the buffet. :)

This is just nuts on so many levels. 1) Jerking around a solo on a dinner reservation, and 2) Making ANYBODY pay in advance for an empty chair, regardless of whether they credit the overcharge back or not.

I'm trying to think of any land-based restaurant that charges a fee and rounds it up to the next even person when you simply call to make a reservation.

I have a problem with paying for ANY meal, anywhere, MONTHS before I'm going to eat it. I'm just thrifty that way. ;)

I haven't sailed with NCL in quite a while, so I've been boning up here on the intricacies of Freestyle, and I'm scratching my head that anybody thinks all this plotting, planning, and paying in advance is somehow "freer" than traditional dining. It's bureaucracy of the highest order, and it seems all geared to improving the "float" of NCL's bank account. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

As a solo on Getaway soon, I'm not making any reservation or buying the UDP. I don't think I'll come out ahead $$, and if they won't accommodate reservations for one (the site showed no times when I tried to make one), why even bother? I'll just pop in where I see empty tables and take my chances. There's always the buffet. :)

With the UDP, I will come out $90 ahead. I like Cagney's and Teppanyaki and am eating there a lot on my 11 day cruise in November.

I didn't have a problem with them charging me in advance and then crediting my account for the extra person (it was on two dinners), since I didn't use all my OBC, I got a refund to my Visa for both.

The only restaurant they do that in is the Teppanyaki and probably because there is very, very limited seating.

IMHO, I think it is best, if you know when and where you want to eat, is to make the reservations as soon as you can - 100 days in advance for suites and 90 days in advance for all others.

IMHO, I think it is best, if you know when and where you want to eat, is to make the reservations as soon as you can - 100 days in advance for suites and 90 days in advance for all others.

Wow, just wow. NLH you have blown my mind. :eek: I just realized I'm not the visionary I thought I was. :D (For the record, I say this in jest, not to slam you or anyone else.)

I simply cannot know where, what, and when I will want to eat on land or sea, sight unseen, 90 days in a advance. That's my dilemma as a first-timer on Getaway. Sure, the NCL promos all look delicious, but the reviews on the food here are decidedly mixed.

So I have no faves and no plans to eat anywhere twice. I want to try as much of what's offered as possible, including the complimentary venues. I couldn't make the UDP math worth in my favor.

Teppanyaki is the only place I have no interest in whatsoever. I've been to places where the cook flips knives and throws food, so I feel like it's "been there, done that." But to each his own, and I'm sure it's good or it wouldn't be such a struggle to get in. :D

There's no need to do any of this in advance. I purchased UDP and made my reservations in advance because I'm new to NCL and wanted to make sure I got to try as many of the specialty restaurants as I could and had read varying reports on whether to book now or wait until I'm on board. But, the most important reason is that I'm a planner. A very large part of enjoying cruising is the planning (for me, at least) and making my reservations was a part of that. I enjoyed it and it added to the anticipation I'm feeling about my upcoming cruise. :)

The only restaurant they do that in is the Teppanyaki and probably because there is very, very limited seating.

It was my experience with my Teppanyaki reservation, but a previous poster reported the same situation for Le Bistro when he tried to book in advance for one. :(

You'd think with Teppanyaki they'd definitely allow reservations for one since it's limited seating. Right now, I have a reservation for two at Teppanyaki since I couldn't make it for one, which means until I straighten it out on board the ship, I'm holding on to an empty seat they could have a reservation for.

But, the most important reason is that I'm a planner. A very large part of enjoying cruising is the planning (for me, at least) and making my reservations was a part of that. I enjoyed it and it added to the anticipation I'm feeling about my upcoming cruise. :)

Quilting_Cruiser, I hear you. I'm a planner big-time myself, and I'm never happier on land than when I'm working out the details of my next cruise. :D

But I truly met my match with Freestyle. Making all these onboard reservations for everything has sent me to the ledge and I'm refusing to jump.

I took a stab reserving a couple of shows online, and immediately realized one I made will conflict with something else I want to do that night, but I couldn't find any way on the website to cancel it.

I will have access to the concierge, so I threw up my hands and decided to get help with all this scheduling if I need it once onboard and let the chips fall where they may. For me, it's enough already with Freestyle. I'm not feeling the freedom.

Different strokes for different folks. :D

But, the most important reason is that I'm a planner. A very large part of enjoying cruising is the planning (for me, at least) and making my reservations was a part of that. I enjoyed it and it added to the anticipation I'm feeling about my upcoming cruise. :)

Quilting_Cruiser, I hear you. I'm a planner big-time myself, and I'm never happier on land than when I'm working out the details of my next cruise. :D

But I truly met my match with Freestyle. Making all these onboard reservations for everything has sent me to the ledge and I'm refusing to jump.

I took a stab reserving a couple of shows online, and immediately realized one I made will conflict with something else I want to do that night, but I couldn't find any way on the website to cancel it.

I will have access to the concierge, so I threw up my hands and decided to get help with all this scheduling if I need it once onboard and let the chips fall where they may. For me, it's enough already with Freestyle. I'm not feeling the freedom.

Different strokes for different folks. :D

I can totally relate to the red comment! :D I'm on a smaller ship so no need to reserve entertainment (it's not even an option), so it was to just look at the different restaurants and make some choices. Who know if I'll feel like Asian food the evening I have a reservation at Jasmine Garden. But, hey, I'm adaptable. LOL. I can imagine that it could feel more like work having to coordinate everything and if you have a concierge, then go for it. :D

Wow, just wow. NLH you have blown my mind. :eek: I just realized I'm not the visionary I thought I was. :D (For the record, I say this in jest, not to slam you or anyone else.)

I simply cannot know where, what, and when I will want to eat on land or sea, sight unseen, 90 days in a advance. That's my dilemma as a first-timer on Getaway. Sure, the NCL promos all look delicious, but the reviews on the food here are decidedly mixed.

So I have no faves and no plans to eat anywhere twice. I want to try as much of what's offered as possible, including the complimentary venues. I couldn't make the UDP math worth in my favor.

Teppanyaki is the only place I have no interest in whatsoever. I've been to places where the cook flips knives and throws food, so I feel like it's "been there, done that." But to each his own, and I'm sure it's good or it wouldn't be such a struggle to get in. :D

Guess everyone is different. I know what time the ship is going to leave port, so it is easy for me to make my plans ahead of time. But then, I've had my 2016 vacations (both cruise and land) booked for 5 months....yes, I'm a planner.

Our cruise isn't till May but when will I be able to book restaurants and can I make reservations for shows online also?

Thanks in advance :D

If you are in a suite, you can make your dinner reservations 100 days prior to your cruise and in a non-suite, 90 days prior.

Sorry, don't know about show reservations.

Same issue when booking with kids. Even though they are free or half price you still have to pay when booking online. Having to hassle to get money credited back onboard is not my idea of freestyle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

If you are in a suite, you can make your dinner reservations 100 days prior to your cruise and in a non-suite, 90 days prior.

Sorry, don't know about show reservations.

I've asked this before - but have not gotten an confirmed answer.

So - exactly when do the bookings open up?? I know it's on the 100/90th day but is 12:01 am (midnight) or at 4:00 pm (sailing time) of the 100/90 day from sailing mark?? :confused:

We typically have waited and booked everything through the Haven Concierge once on board. But with so many stories of people having difficultly getting their preferences :o - I think we will try the prebooking this time. Especially since we are using the UDP.

Edited by happy cruzin

I've asked this before - but have not gotten an confirmed answer.

So - exactly when do the bookings open up?? I know it's on the 100/90th day but is 12:01 am (midnight) or at 4:00 pm (sailing time) of the 100/90 day from sailing mark?? :confused:

We typically have waited and booked everything through the Haven Concierge once on board. But with so many stories of people having difficultly getting their preferences :o - I think we will try the prebooking this time. Especially since we are using the UDP.

I did mine the morning of the 100th day. My ship doesn't sail till in the afternoon, so I'm guessing (but not sure), that it would be when business opens on the 100/90th day.

. . . The only restaurant they do that in is the Teppanyaki and probably because there is very, very limited seating.

I've previously read that on some ships, the Teppanyaki situation is similar/identical to what I recently experienced with Le Bistro.

. . . It was my experience with my Teppanyaki reservation, but a previous poster reported the same situation for Le Bistro when he tried to book in advance for one. :(

You'd think with Teppanyaki they'd definitely allow reservations for one since it's limited seating. Right now, I have a reservation for two at Teppanyaki since I couldn't make it for one, which means until I straighten it out on board the ship, I'm holding on to an empty seat they could have a reservation for.

Very true!

If you choose to arrive and say, "Hi, Surprise!!, it's just me tonight", then that seat has potential of going unfilled. :(

Somewhere on this planet there is someone who made that corporate decision, but they can't see the resulting challenge . . . because it's way too dark . . . because of where their head is located. :p

. . . So - exactly when do the bookings open up?? I know it's on the 100/90th day but is 12:01 am (midnight) or at 4:00 pm (sailing time) of the 100/90 day from sailing mark?? :confused:

Lynn, the earliest I've ever been able to start the online process was 5:30am. . . although each and evey time (except this last one) I've checked just after midnight to see if something got posted.

For my last EPIC, the online booking opened at 6:00am

This last time (Sunday) the website had been down for twelve hours for scheduled maintenance. The text said it would be back up at 10:00am, and it was very close to that time. Access opened on my screen at 9:50am

So . . . it appears there is not an "exact" time. ;)

I simply cannot know where, what, and when I will want to eat on land or sea, sight unseen, 90 days in a advance.

Guess everyone is different. I know what time the ship is going to leave port, so it is easy for me to make my plans ahead of time. But then, I've had my 2016 vacations (both cruise and land) booked for 5 months....yes, I'm a planner.

Advance permission quickly granted for all to say, "Tsk, tsk, tsk, oh bless his heart. Don needs to get a life." :)

Not only do I have my advance reservations made, but for some of the locations I know exactly what I'm going to order for that meal, and won't even need the menu. Yep, that's sorta sad.

Advance permission quickly granted for all to say, "Tsk, tsk, tsk, oh bless his heart. Don needs to get a life." :)

Not only do I have my advance reservations made, but for some of the locations I know exactly what I'm going to order for that meal, and won't even need the menu. Yep, that's sorta sad.

OK, now you guys are really putting my shiftless, seat-of-the-pants ways to shame. And all this time I've been thinking I was the one with no life. :eek:

I picture myself wandering in and out of restaurants, looking for one to take pity on me and let me in without a reservation. Then getting weird glances from my fellow diners when I actually have to read the menu to decide what to order.

I've always considered myself pretty "together" on a cruise, but I can see on Getaway I'm going to be looked upon as a rank newbie. ;)

I've previously read that on some ships, the Teppanyaki situation is similar/identical to what I recently experienced with Le Bistro.

Very true!

If you choose to arrive and say, "Hi, Surprise!!, it's just me tonight", then that seat has potential of going unfilled. :(

Somewhere on this planet there is someone who made that corporate decision, but they can't see the resulting challenge . . . because it's way too dark . . . because of where their head is located. :p

Yes, our minds are aligned on this one! It makes no business sense, not to mention it'll probably take up at least 5 minutes of my precious vacation time that could be spent finding my way to the spa to purchase my spa pass! :eek:

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser