traveling with a kindle paperwhite

Your opinion please.

I made the purchase of the kindle paperwhite.(Thanks for your feedback on that post). I'm not sure what kind of cover to get. Do I get a thin one to keep it light weight,or do I get one that has more bulk for added protection while traveling? We fly to our ports.I really would appreciate your feedback once again.

I am a big fan of Kindle. I have tried cases but prefer no case for my Paperwhite. Traveling and on the ship, I carry it in a small shoulder strap bag I bought on a cruise for incidentals, like a small shoulder purse. Never dropped it, never had it subjected to danger. If something happened, unlikely, I would buy another. Amazon is offering a waterproof case now that costs more than the Paperwhite costs. I don't see the point, and like to read with just the device and nothing around it.

Personally I like to have a solid cover to protect my Kindle. Although I don't have a PaperWhite (yet), my Kindle Keyboard travels in my handbag daily, and has been with me on many overseas trips. I would be concerned that a lightweight cover would not provide enough protection from knocks during travel.

I use an Oberon cover http://oberondesign.com/e-reader-covers/kindle.html. They are heavy but are just soooo gorgeous.

However it very much depends on what suits you. Are you happy using your PW with a heavy cover on it or do you prefer to use it without a cover at all or with a lightweight cover? In the latter case you should consider some form of added protection while in transit - a padded envelope would work.

Also if you are using your PW on a beach or in any situation where water, sand or dust could get on it, put it in a zip lock bag. You should be able to read through the bag OK.

Everyone will have a different favorite. Pick one you like and that has good reviews. I'd show a link to mine but it isn't available right now. Smart covers are very nice - there are a number of them to pick from on Amazon. The Kindle PaperWhite tends to be a little slippery unless you have a case. I dropped mine a few time the first week before my case arrived. Enjoy reading!

I can tell you which one "not" to get. One with a magnetic closure.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why my Sea Pass card kept getting deactivated. I knew i was keeping it away from my cell phone since it was it the safe. I actually had to change my card five (yes 5) times in a week on a 9-day cruise. Until someone at Customer Service saw me place my card on top of my Kindle and relied that the magnetic closure was zapping my card.

I now have a new cover.

I use an OMOTON cover for my Kindle paperwhite. It comes in lots of colors, but the best thing is that it starts when you open it. It goes off when you close it. The battery charger slot and power button are accessible when the cover is closed. The paperwhite fits snugly inside and doesn't slip out. My last Kindle slid out of its elastic-held case and smashed beyond repair. I bought the OMOTON from Amazon and really like it!

I like the idea of a "naked" Paperwhite when I would be using it. I have an older Kindle and I had a cover for it (an M-edge), but ended up ditching it when using the Kindle.

If you want to, just buy a nice padded envelope to carry it in for protection and take it out to read. Timbuk2 has some nice ones.

I found that Kindle covers can be really expensive (at least in Europe and Australia).

During a visit to the USA, I discovered good quality and inexpensive (around 15$, I think),

at a K-Mart store. They had several models to chose from. Hard cover plastic ones, fabric covers, garish colors, basic black or brown and also (more expensive) leather covers.