seven seas voyager ship

larasmom

i recently went on my very first cruise on royal carribbean majesty of the seas. i was not thrilled with the ship. i felt very confined in the cabin (ocean view) and in the hallways. the halls also smelled of urine and poop. the food was so so.

i am starting to look for another cruise for next fall and i am interested in a 3 or 4 day cruise and i see this ship offers one.

i would be traveling with 9 other ladies (ranging in age from 20 to 70). 2 moms, their daughters and 2 granddaughters.

is this ship an older aged ship or will the youjnger ones in our group like it too?

what type of room do you reccommend? on the majesty we had 2 triples and 1 quad room. (2 ocean view and 1 inside cabin).

do you recommend this ship for our group?

since there are 10 of us would we have a problem at dinner finding seats since i sea there are no set dinner times?

We've been on Voyager with our 26 year old daughter and she loved it. we were on a 7 day Baltic cruise and I would say we wer about median aged (55) for the pax. A shorter cruise, like you're contemplating, would probably be a bit younger. Voyager is a relatively new ship and you can find everything you'd ever want to know about her at http://www.rssc.com.

Regarding your room situation; since Voyager doesn't have quads (except the VERY high end suites) I'd recommend two triples and two doubles. We also recently did a Royal Caribbean cruise in a balcony cabin (175 sqft) and the Voyager's least expensive suites are balcony and 301sqft with walk in closets. We've done three to a room twice on RSSC and have had plenty of room and closet space both times.

Hope this helps,

Greg

I think you would have a marvelous time on Voyager! She is my favorite ship of all of my cruises. A cruise on Voyager is just no comparison to a cruise on Royal Caribbean – RSSC is a luxury cruise line. You’ll notice the difference right away. I’m sure you can find lots of information in this board about the cruise line in general, and about this ship.

Voyager doesn’t have any inside cabins, they are all suites with balconies. Some of the cabins have pull-out sofas that can comfortably sleep a third person.

We’re currently looking at the Baltic cruises coming up this summer on Voyager.

As I recall, there were a few tables in Compass Rose that seated at least 10 people. If you speak to them in advance, I’m certain they would reserve it for you. I saw parties of 10 or more eating together several times.

Barb

What about the vibrations that Dolebludger and a few others have complained about?

I had thought it was RSSC's best, but some say it's Mariner despite the slightly smaller suites and combined shower-tub.

JPR, where is your cabin? I've read quite a few threads about the vibration issue on Voyager, and almost all say that it's only at the rear of the ship, from about the laundry rooms back. My cabin on Voyager was at the front, and we felt nothing.

As for how bad it is, there are a number of people in here who can give you wildly varying reports -- some were rather bothered by it, others barely noticed it. I had friends with us on our Voyager cruise in May that had a C cabin, one of the cabins right along the stern, facing backwards. They told me there was a very minor hummm that they noticed only when the ship was moving at a pretty fast clip, and it didn't bother them at all. I was in there with them a few times while we were at sea, and I couldn't even notice it myself, but I'm not sure we were at top speed at that time.

Anyway, I might suggest that you do a search on this forum for "Voyager Vibration", and I'll bet you'll get all kinds of opinions that will help you get a clearer picture of the vibration issue. :)

LeeAnne

since there will be 10 of us we were thinking 2 triples and 2 singles. 2 of the people are over 55 so i am sure we could get a good price break for booking multiple cabins in a group? do they do that?

I'm sorry but what does the fact that 2 people are over 55 would have to do with pricing?

I have never heard that reserving 4 cabins has given anybody a "price break" . Maybe one of the TA's that post here would answer that.

Also, there are very few triple cabins so you should probably make your reservations early if you want to make sure you get two of them.

JPR:

The vibrations of which I have spoken were experienced on a Panama Canal cruise in 04/04. They were confined to the areas of the ship roughly to the stern of the laundry room locations. And they were confined to when the ship was traveling at relatively high speed, which is often necessary on this itinerary, but not so on all itineraries. Frequent poster Jim B. has reported NO vibrations (including on the stern) on his very recent Canal cruise. Karen S. and others have emailed me and reported no stern vibrations or other vibrations on their Voyager cruises on other itineraries. To the contrary, these and others have reported the Voyager's ride to be exceptionally smooth --- which is exactly what this ship was designed to produce.

From this, I conclude that either the problem has been fixed, or that ways have been devised to operate this ship without producing the vibrations of which I complained. And even on our 04/04 cruise, the ride was exceptionally smooth except in the localized stern area I reported.

Given the updated information, it appears that the stern vibration amounts to a "past problem" and nothing more.

Thanks,

Richard

We debarked Voyager on 1/10/06. Let me first say that vibrations do not concern or bother us. We had a stern,

Category C/Horizon cabin and we have booked it for another cruise. However, there are vibrations. At most times

they are minor. At top speed or in rough seas ,they seemed more apparent but not horribly distressing. I will add that one morning as the Captain was backing into dock, the cabin shook so much that items fell off of the TV and desk. This was short lived, but notable.

If this sort of thing would distress you, then be certain to book

forward or mid ship and you should be fine.

I was also on that Voyager cruise ending on 1/10. I was midship and low, and no vibration in my stateroom. I think it is a given from all discussions that there is a mild vibration in the stern staterooms. Whether it bothers passengers? Opinions all over the place.

Well, one thing on which we all agree is that the Voyager gives a VERY smooth ride if one does not get too near the stern. I defined it as "forward of the laundry room locations" and others may define it differently. I think all ships have some vibration at the stern. It's just the nature of the beast, as that's where the screws are working against the water to propell the ship. But I'm getting the feeling that the "over the top" vibration we experienced in 04/04 isn't with us anymore. Cheers! On our cruise, many guests, including Nevil, wouldn't eat outside at the Horizon Deck restaurant due to the vibations back there. Reportedly, problems of that degree are gone, and I hope reports are true. Because otherwise, the Cat. C Horizon suites are absolutely beautiful.

Thanks,

Richard

larasmom, I'm a bit confused.....not difficult at my age!

First, I can understand your "cramped" feeling on the Majesty of the Seas. 119 feet is pretty darned small!! She was built before ship designers and cruise line executives finally got the message that passengers wanted more than an oversized closet.

However, I'm not sure that I am tracking with your interest in a 3 or 4 night cruise on the Seven Seas Voyager. To my knowledge, the shortest cruise duration Radisson offers, that I'm aware of, is for six nights. And, as another poster has indicated, there are no inside cabins; she's an all suite vessel.

Richard, as you know we were on the Xmas cruise and reported that on two days the vibrations inside verandah were quite strong (even cups rattling, at times). I spoke to one of the engineers and he explained that sometimes a sideways current will produce it. On the whole it was minimal on most days, and as you know, we breakfast every day at Verandah. Oh ! those pancakes !!!

Nevil -- Hi -- just the person to whom I wanted to ask a question!

No, I didn't realize you were on the Voyager Xmas cruise! But I do recall that you were with us on the 04/04 Panama Canal cruise on which we had what I would term BAD vibrations in our Horizon suite. And, as I recall you mentioned some pretty bad vibrations on the verandah outside deck on that cruise.

So a question for you, as someone who can give us a comparisson. Were the vibrations less on your Xmas cruise than on the 04/04 Panama Canal cruise?

Thanks,

Richard

Yes,Richard, very much less, except for a couple of days as I mentioned.

You may recall a cocktail party on our Voyager cruise through the canal, at Anne's suite which was aft. and the vibes were really bad. On the above referred two days, they were not evident as the day passed. The ship's route probably changed so the currents did not come into play.

On Xmas day all drinks were on the house ,at lunch ,when we were at sea. And the caviar was plentiful. They called it an International feast. The France section had Grey Goose !! (I thought that I was on S.S. !!)

Best regards to wifey from both of us.

I was on the Voyager in December 05. I originally booked a Seven Seas Aft cabin because of the large balcony. Normally vibrations don't bother me, but within 4 hours of sailing, I asked to be moved. The vibrations were horrible - most notibly in the bathroom where it felt like someone was underneath the floor with a jackhammer. I was very graciously moved to a Seven Seas Forward suite without question. I asked the hotel supervisor about the vibrations and she admitted it has been an ongoing problem. One couple next to the vibrating suite equated it to a "neverending California earthquake." They were disturbed by it as well, but sucked it up because of the expansive balcony. My advice is like that of others - stay away from the back if you think it will bother you.

scott

Well, I am happy to hear Nevil's reply, but sad to hear Scott's reply. This is a beautiful ship, and the stern cabins are otherwise outstanding with great views.

Like Scott, we are not particularly sensitive to the normal sorts of vibrations produced by all kinds of machines used in travel, including ships. Abnormal vibrations in public areas --- like those in the Navigator's show lounge and those in the PG's deck 7 lounge when the ship is traveling fast --- won't keep us from booking those ships again. Only very bad vibrations , when they are in our suite, really bother us. And I'm sorry to hear that those in the stern cabins on this ship sometimes still appear.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived