When the clock strikes 6pm...

Scottygirl1

We are joining the QE at Auckland soon and are looking forward to being out on deck for the sail away from Paihia as it sails around the top of the North Island. The ship sails at 5.30 pm and at present in New Zealand it is still hot and sunny until about 8 pm. Can we stay up on deck enjoying the scenery in our "day clothes" or do we have rush back to our rooms and dress for the evening dress code?

I understand that the dress code if ship after 6 pm but does this apply to the pool area, viewing decks etc? I just don't understand how this works. Thanks.

You'll be fine in your day clothes out on deck. The after 6pm dress code only applies to public rooms indoors.

Phew... that's good news! We intend to make this night a "casual" night and have dinner either in the Lido or get room service. Is it possible to still get a drink out on deck without entering a public area? I'm very aware of the dress code and we will comply but it's great to know we can be out on the deck without having to dress up.

It's not unusual for us to be finishing our last cocktail (or the one after that) from the Friends of Dorothy meeting as the clock strikes six.

From 6-7PM (especially until 6:30) there's an understandable transition as people (especially late seating folks) move from their afternoon attire into their evening wear. I'm certain I've been served in the Commodore Club and I don't recall seeing any stink-eye wearing khakis and collared shirt before heading down to our cabin to change.

We will be sure to be in our best casual wear - polo shirt and longer shorts for him and a nice top and shorts or a dress for me. Is this kind of clothing OK for the Lido restaurant after 6pm?

Yes, all of those are perfectly OK. There is also a bar on the aft deck if you want a drink while you are out there.

Sorry, me again... my voyage personaliser states

"Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship."

So back to my original question - I take it that Lido restaurant, outside decks and the Garden Lounge are not considered "within the ship"?

Sorry, me again... my voyage personaliser states

"Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship."

So back to my original question - I take it that Lido restaurant, outside decks and the Garden Lounge are not considered "within the ship"?

Lido and the Garden Lounge are within the ship. Feel free to dress casually but there is still a minimum standard as defined. At least that's how I've interpreted that statement for years.

I don't know about outside decks but if the pool is open, poolside wear (to include shorts, sandals and sleeveless tops) seems appropriate in that area.

It's not limited to Cunard ships. We've been to several resorts in Punta Cana where the norm is for men to change to long trousers and a collared shirt for dinner while women change to something a little dressier as well.

We often go to the pool area at around 6 ish to swim as it is generally quiet at that time. If we have a cabin further forwards we will then walk over the top on deck 10 to get back via the nearest lifts to our cabin. I will be in a long beach dress over my costume and my husband will be in shorts. We have never had a problem or been stopped. I think you will be fine in the pool areas. However, I must admit I wouldn't want to walk through the lido dressed like that.

Have a wonderful time.

Directly from the Queen Elizabeth's Daily Programme.

"On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Lido buffet on deck 9 and relax in the Garden Lounge, but should not use other areas in the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

It states the same for informal nights as well.

We're in San Francisco today and sail for Honolulu early this evening. It's been a great cruise so far. Enjoy it when you board!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

We're in San Francisco today and sail for Honolulu early this evening. It's been a great cruise so far.

Sorry for the drizzly day! It was beautiful most of last week. (I know - just what you want to hear.) In any event, I hope you enjoy our beautiful city.

Calm seas and wonderful travels to you!

-Mark

Directly from the Queen Elizabeth's Daily Programme.

"On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Lido buffet on deck 9 and relax in the Garden Lounge, but should not use other areas in the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

It states the same for informal nights as well.

We're in San Francisco today and sail for Honolulu early this evening. It's been a great cruise so far. Enjoy it when you board!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

That is exactly why I'm confused! I'm trying to find out if dressy shorts and polo shirt are acceptable in the Lido after 6 pm. It seems to be a very grey area with no specifics. I think we'll watch the sail away on deck, go back to our cabin and quickly change and continue looking at the scenery.

Clearly some think it is OK to wear shorts in Lido after 6 pm and others don't. How exciting sailing for Honolulu... enjoy!!

That is exactly why I'm confused! I'm trying to find out if dressy shorts and polo shirt are acceptable in the Lido after 6 pm. It seems to be a very grey area with no specifics. I think we'll watch the sail away on deck, go back to our cabin and quickly change and continue looking at the scenery.

Clearly some think it is OK to wear shorts in Lido after 6 pm and others don't. How exciting sailing for Honolulu... enjoy!!

From Cunard's FAQ's:

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Years ago on QV we had a late excursion in Panama City and ended up going directly to the Lido for dinner. About halfway through I realized that we were still in shorts while most people had adhered to the "no blue denim or shorts" rule for after six. No one said anything but we felt a little conspicuous.

• 1 month later...