Sounds Crazy?

Packerman52

We have decided to skip the Elegant Nights on our upcoming Breeze sailing! We figured we are on vacation and want to do what we want when we want (we also have ATD), don't want to play dress-up or feel rushed and just want to relax...I know from previous cruises and all inclusives the stress and rush to get ready for a formal night is a pain! Don't get me wrong we get dressed up and go out to dinner often here at home and do enjoy it!

Have others done this before?

We have decided to skip the Elegant Nights on our upcoming Breeze sailing! We figured we are on vacation and want to do what we want when we want (we also have ATD), don't want to play dress-up or feel rushed and just want to relax...I know from previous cruises and all inclusives the stress and rush to get ready for a formal night is a pain! Don't get me wrong we get dressed up and go out to dinner often here at home and do enjoy it!

We have not, but it's your cruise. We have seen more people doing what you describe, most recently on the Breeze. For what it is worth, my opinion the food is not the same (on lido).

We never do formal nights anymore. One thing is with the heat of the places we cruise, it's just too damn hot and we have more than enough pictures of us dressed up!!!:eek:

After 15 cruises it's just not what we want to do... It is fun to people watch when they are all dressed up and we are in shorts and tank tops walking around the ship!!!;)

Do what you want and don't mess with other people!!!:D C.G.

I don't do the whole gown thing. I pack a few sun dresses and call it good. Besides, I never get pictures taken so no need to gussy up. You don't need to skip dinner. You can wear what you wear on the other nights and no one would say a thing.

Skipped the formal nights on our last cruise and honestly didn't miss them. Just relaxed and enjoyed . Didn't have to rush to get dressed and sit in the dining room for hours. It really was enjoyable. We go out quite a bit at home so its not like we are missing anything. We live in New England and have really great lobster quite often. So no need to put on a suit just have lobster.

In all it made for a really relaxing trip.

I agree...to get around it I usually wear khaki pants and a collared polo shirt and the DW

wears black slacks and a nice blouse. We fit in fine and are comfortable as well. If you look around, what we wear is formal compared to others! I also agree that the food in the MDR is superior to the buffet.

We are two-time "other" cruiseline cruisers, but first-time Carnival cruisers (July 1 on the Triumph). We will probably skip elegant night this time; we aren't dress-up people and all the "fancy" clothes and shoes would require a whole extra suitcase.

Question is, if you skip formal night in the MDR, what special foods are you missing? (On Princess, they'd have Baked Alaska and lobster at one formal night.)

My husband and I love skipping formal night and spending some time together in a (then) quiet area of the ship. For our upcoming cruise, we are planning to go to one formal night since our kids will be with us. They havent been on a cruise in years and love formal night. Dh and I will be skipping the second one and escaping the madness. Our kids have the choice to go or do the buffet. They can handle either without us, very nicely. Do whatever suits ya best !

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. Only once have we ever really dressed up and then we felt over dressed. So now it is slacks and a nice blouse, and slacks and a polo or dress shirt for DH.

I agree...to get around it I usually wear khaki pants and a collared polo shirt and the DW

wears black slacks and a nice blouse. We fit in fine and are comfortable as well. If you look around, what we wear is formal compared to others! I also agree that the food in the MDR is superior to the buffet.

yup that is exactly what my dh and I do. As little as possible!! My husband did a happy dance when the dress code was changed.

And sometimes we just don't go to the MDR just because we don't want to spend that long eating...too much other fun to be had.

We love ATD!

Yes! Nice to go at your own pace. :)

We are not a big fan of the formal nights, don't get me wrong I like to dress up and see my DH in a suit and tie. The first formal night is nice but the second becomes a chore, especially if its after an exhausting day in port. Next cruise we will do the first formal night for the Lobster, yum :D and skip the second formal night. We will probably go with dress slacks, shirt and tie & skip the jacket for DH.

I would love to skip elegant night, but my wife won't let me.:rolleyes:

We have skipped the MDR before when tired, but I don't think it was ever formal/elegant night. We try to dine in the MDR as much as possible.

Your plan is what is great about cruising - lots of options!

OMG I love love love Formal night!!! But I am silly that way lol....

I LOVE picking out a new, dressy dress to take and I LOVE getting all dressed up with my gorgeous hubby!! He wore a suit last year and a funky shirt, like Robert Graham or something like that, and I love my 5 inch heels and short skirt and sequins! I LOVE our sexy pictures LOL!!

We danced like fools in the atrium last year and had the best time and most wonderful memories.......

BUT! Having said that, if we WANTED to skip, we would!

I always see people that look "comfortable" (but I am too when I dress up!) and look like they are just laid back and doing their thing.

I say to each his own. That is something I love the most when I am on a cruise ship. Just doing as you feel... and I don't think anyone should feel they "have" to do anything once the gangplank is gone and muster drill is over :D

We are two-time "other" cruiseline cruisers, but first-time Carnival cruisers (July 1 on the Triumph). We will probably skip elegant night this time; we aren't dress-up people and all the "fancy" clothes and shoes would require a whole extra suitcase.

Question is, if you skip formal night in the MDR, what special foods are you missing? (On Princess, they'd have Baked Alaska and lobster at one formal night.)

lobster and prime rib on the first night

if there is a second night, it's more about the desserts than the meats

We know a couple that never use the MDR. They eat at the Lido every night.

And then you sometimes read here that some people didn't know the MDR was included in their fare.

I would love to skip elegant night, but my wife won't let me.:rolleyes:

I would love to miss it be hubby won't let me, he prefers to eat in the MDR:confused:

I hate spending hours (sometimes 3:rolleyes::eek:) eating dinner but do it for him and he uses eating with our group of friends as the 'reason':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived