Live From QE's January TA Crossing

Toffeegirl68

Thanks for that. That's really good! :)

It's a brand new webcam that just went Live in the past week. It's one of a series from the same company, you can see their other cams listed at the bottom of that web page link.

Stay tuned for the Queen Elizabeth Sail Away later this afternoon!

:D

Many thanks for the link and your pictures. That was really good following her in.

It was fun! I had just returned home after a midnight shift and finished breakfast when I turned on the webcam site. I honestly was checking out all of the other cams (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Key West) and happened to click over to the Port New York cam when she came into view. Really cool seeing her this far up river instead of Brooklyn where QM2 docks.

:D

The option was set before the sailing. The Commodore / Captain has no say

Of his ship at sea , including force 10 gale

And 30 ft waves

But you juliocat , from Seattle Washington

USA. Is the expert of the Cunard line:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am onboard QE now!

The daily program placed in the cabin prior to departure had a list of the dress codes for each evening so people could plan their wardrobes. It listed that night as optional formal/ informal.

Please do not assume that which you can not possibly know.

I am onboard QE now!

The daily program placed in the cabin prior to departure had a list of the dress codes for each evening so people could plan their wardrobes. It listed that night as optional formal/ informal.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. It was illogical, and dare I say incredible, for anyone to suggest that on any given day the captain (or someone else) changes the dress code based on the height of the waves and their own personal beliefs as to whether it's too arduous to put on a bow tie.

Although, if that was the way Cunard was going to organise the dress code I would be talking with other interested parties about having a whip round and shouting everyone an expresso so that we could have an additional formal night that evening.

Oh, and it's raining in New York.

I am onboard QE now!

Thanks for the info. And thank Whitemarsh to help

Clarify the post

But why was the dress code changed?

Thanks for those great image captures from the Port of N.Y. web cam. Makes me excited!

Do you have an estimate for the time of sail away from Port of N.Y. this evening?

Thanks again.

According to the cruisecal website she is scheduled to depart at 9pm local time. Can anyone confirm her late departure?

Well, my bags are packed and I am leaving on a jet plane. I fly to Miami first thing tomorrow morning and will be waiting to join you all in Fort Lauderdale. Hope New York is not too cold for you.

So looking forward to catching up with those of you that I met in Southampton and of course, meeting the rest of you.

Have a good trip down from New York. See you Tuesday.

Regards

Pat

Thanks for clearing that up for us. It was illogical, and dare I say incredible, for anyone to suggest that on any given day the captain (or someone else) changes the dress code based on the height of the waves and their own personal beliefs as to whether it's too arduous to put on a bow tie.

Although, if that was the way Cunard was going to organise the dress code I would be talking with other interested parties about having a whip round and shouting everyone an expresso so that we could have an additional formal night that evening.

Oh, and it's raining in New York.

Hope you have a great trip Whitemarsh. Really hoping you find time to let us know how you are getting on. :)

According to the cruisecal website she is scheduled to depart at 9pm local time. Can anyone confirm her late departure?

That's also what it says on Cunard's dress code pdf and on the webcam's facebook page.

Roy

It was great how you showed the arrival of QE to the pier.

I didn't know you could "take pictures" from the webcam. How did you do that?

They are screenshots taken off of my computer. I always make sure to include the copyright data so that proper credit for the images is given. The folks that operate the website are gracious enough to have allowed these type of screenshots to be posted providing they are recognized as the source, which is why I also provide a link.

(Trying to catch up....)

Hurrah!!! We had lobster on the penultimate night. That made me a happy bunny. Preceded by snails.* Not sure why I always order the latter, with the sea of garlic, its a bit like eating an over boiled garlic mushroom. The chefs', parade followed dinner and we will get a copy of the menus tonight (last night).

After the now compulsory waltz, hubby and I headed off to the Yacht Club with one of the sisters for a bit of an 80s night boogie before bed.

Last full day on board

Farewell to body conditioning and abs class! I survived the entire week! Nearly farewell to those blooming staircases. I wish I'd been monitored by some scientific tracking gismo to tell me how many steps I've gone up and down in the last week.

Laundry rage

I experienced a mini dose.

Decided to throw a quick wash in which completed successfully with me in attendance. As our laundrette is one drier down and with the two remaining machines not scheduled to be free anytime soon, I decided to try my luck on another floor. There were a couple of people in this laundrette and, as I went in I touched the first drier door (not anywhere near the handle!!!!) to check for an 'in use' vibration whilst I looked at the dial. 'THAT'S MINE!' shouted a woman. 'I was only checking to see if it was in use' said I. 'Well it is. Its mine and I've only just put it in so don't go touching it and opening the door!!!' Crikey......* someone had really rattled her cage at some point. Luckily there were plenty of people there so I didn't throttle her. Unluckily for her, as she wanted to leave, she had to speak to me to ask me to move. Someone else calmly told me that all the machines were in use so I headed off somewhere else. In fact, I tried my luck on the 4th floor and all three washers were empty as were two of the driers so its always worth trying somewhere else.

I haven't yet seen a WANTED sign with a price on my head so I think that I'm safe.

The person whose life is in mortal danger though is hubby. He failed to show til the end of the quick step class and that was the very one I really wanted to do. It was probably not lost on some of the spectators that I was missing someone.... Kevin the host came to my rescue. He gallantly said that if hubby turned up, he, Kevin, would step down.* 'You must be joking' said I. 'I'm not trading down now that I've got you'. (Kevin won the Strictly Ballroom dance competition with a guest the previous night).

The nautical chart auction took place ahead of the guest talent show. $550 was raised for the Prince's Trust.

The talent show line up was as follows

1. Song: I could have danced all night.

2. Recital: Oberon's speech from Midsummer Nights Dream

3. Line Dance: Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees

4. Song: Something from a musical.... Think of me.....

5. Song: Annies Song (unaccompanied)

6. Song: My Heart and I

Prize Stamp Redemption

This is where Cunard need to get their act together. One stamp got you a pen. Without the word Cunard on it.... interesting.

Two stamps got a 1G Cunard memory stick. Four stamps got a lightweight silver metal pen or a Cunard keyring or a small cotton bag. Six stamps got a small Cunard golf umbrella. The next step up got what I think was a black bound note pad. Beyond that I don't remember.

Last Dinner

Went for a predinner drink in the Commodore Club en family before dinner. Noticeable that there are more groups and less couples than at the start of the voyage. As a result there is some full scale furniture moving which is quite funny.

We are dressed up tonight as it is big sister's 50th birthday. She temporarily donned a birthday girl sash for a grand-ish entrance to the Britannia.* Good excuse for me to wear my fringed dress, so if you were in the yacht club aftet second dinner, that was me strutting my stuff.

Some other passengers were also smartly dressed. Most others fell under the category of very smart - people did not suddenly don jeans and the like.

Treated myself to a molecular margarita martini... the onboard speciality avec foam. Nice to try but I prefer my martinis 'straight' as it were.

Service on the last night was as good as ever. Great waiters, attentive sommelier.* They gave us a copy of the dinner menus including the one for tonight.

As I said, we strutted our stuff for a while in the yacht club before grabbing a hot chocolate

This is a voyage blog - whilst debate relating to the content is welcome, please keep any detrimental comments about each other to yourselves no matter how right you might think yourselves to be.

The pre voyage documentation dispatched to me detailed 4 formal nights - no 'make your mind up' option. This had changed by the point of departure. I am not aware that of the reason being related to the weather and the impacts on the ship and its passengers. I did not hear any announcement etc. relating to any reasons for the change.

This is a voyage blog - whilst debate relating to the content is welcome, please keep any detrimental comments about each other to yourselves no matter how right you might think yourselves to be.

The pre voyage documentation dispatched to me detailed 4 formal nights - no 'make your mind up' option. This had changed by the point of departure. I am not aware that of the reason being related to the weather and the impacts on the ship and its passengers. I did not hear any announcement etc. relating to any reasons for the change.

Duly noted. I hope that none of my posts were "detrimental" as that certainly was not my intention. Actually, I don't think anyone else meant any harm in pursuing the question about the change in dress code either - although admittedly we could have phrased our questions better.

Frankly, I was curious as to the "Formal/Informal Optional" dress code because it was the first time I've see it mentioned. I won't pursue the issue since it apparently creates ill will, and in the scheme of things, it just isn't worth the angst :)

More importantly - once again, Toffeegirl, I thank you for taking the time to share your voyage.

Safe homeward journey.

Regards,

Salacia