Athens: New Express bus line: Piraeus cruise ship terminal - Athens center / X80

nick_arch

Tommorow, 12th May 2014, a new Express bus line commences operation.

Bus number is X80 and it connects Piraues cruise ship terminals with Acropolis Museum ( Acropolis ), and Athens center ( Syndagma Sq. ).

Ticket costs 4 euros ( that's the 24hrs ticket. It is valid for all metro, bus, tram in the center, including the X80 line / not valid on airport metro or airport bus ). You can also use the "tourist ticket" in this line ( costs 20 euros, includes unlimited hop on hop off for 3 days, for any mean in the center + airport trips ).

Bus operates from 7am till 9.30pm, every 30 minutes. Starts where 040 bus starts from and follows, roughly speaking, the same drive path but does stops only at start and end of the trip, which means ride is pretty faster than all other buses.

That is great news! That should be simpler that getting to and taking the metro.

We have used the express bus to get from central Athens to the airport and it has space for luggage in the seating area. I hope this one does too.

That's great news! We recently took the metro into Athens and it was quite a hike to get to the station from the cruise terminal. This new bus will make things so much easier.

Edited by Alex71

Bus number is X80 and it connects Piraues cruise ship terminals with Acropolis Museum ( Acropolis ), and Athens center ( Syndagma Sq. ).

Ticket costs 4 euros ( that's the 24hrs ticket. It is valid for all metro, bus, tram in the center, including the X80 line / not valid on airport metro or airport bus ). You can also use the "tourist ticket" in this line ( costs 20 euros, includes unlimited hop on hop off for 3 days, for any mean in the center + airport trips ).

Bus operates from 7am till 9.30pm, every 30 minutes. Starts where 040 bus starts from and follows, roughly speaking, the same drive path but does stops only at start and end of the trip, which means ride is pretty faster than all other buses.

Thanks for the info. Just a question, can you buy the ticket on the bus? is it 4€ return right?

We'll forward to it if the schedule is right! The other transportation options are more frequent and we have little time.

Good news indeed, thanks for the post, Nick.

But one in the eye for the ho-ho operators.:rolleyes:

The Athens ho-hos have been worthwhile because although the main city route isn't special they have a feeder route from port to city, which at around 19 euros is cheaper & more flexible than ships' coach transfers even if you don't bother with the city route.

But at 4 euros vs 19 euros it's a no-brainer.

JB :)

I'd also appreciate info on where the tickets are sold near port and where the first departure at 7 am is from.

It would be smart to offer buses at 7 am from Piraeus Terminal X80 with a few ticket machines.

From another recent post, the bus stops at both cruise ship terminals (B and A), starting at B:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42675857&postcount=8

• 4 weeks later...

What a terrific forum cruise critic is! Thank you so much for this information. I immediately emailed Tom at Tom's Cruise Port Guide so that he knows too. Looks like its going to be a piece of cake thanks to you (and the bus operators) -famous last words! I love that it operates as early as 7 am. We're early risers and this is perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just returned and definitely using the X80 bus saved us a ton of time. We were docked at Cruise Port B. We walked to the port gate going left, along the brick wall which took about 5 minutes and caught the bus in the little cul-de-sac. It was 4 E. We bought tickets on the bus and it took less than 1/2 hour to get to Athens.

I had no idea where the bus would leave us ( I planned our day based on arriving near one of the metro stops), but the stop was a block south of the Acropolis Museum. This was perfect. We walked 1/2 block to the info booth on the right and she gave us directions to where to buy Acropolis tickets, which was just another block away. There was no wait and we were in.

We did this port on our own, and so glad we did, because it was crowded. I don't know how the tours kept their groups together and trying to narrate what you are seeing in the hot blazing sun would not have been my cup of tea.

On my tour we also visited the Theatre of Dionysos, Ancient Agora, Temple of Hephaetus, Hadrian's Library, Roman Agora, Tower of the Winds, Hadrian's Arch, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Panathenaic Stadium and the National Gardens. We also were able to get a feel of the local flavor and other "minor" sites during our walking tour through the neighborhoods in Athens.

Since we had no narrative during our walk through Athens, we didn't know a lot of what we were seeing. Having over heard many tour operators, I don't think I would remember most of what they were saying anyway. I know my way of sight seeing would not appeal to most, but my opinion was that I wanted to get a visual of as much as possible. After returning home I could then go back and put our photos and video to the history of what I actually saw.

My wife and I just returned and definitely using the X80 bus saved us a ton of time. We were docked at Cruise Port B. We walked to the port gate going left, along the brick wall which took about 5 minutes and caught the bus in the little cul-de-sac. It was 4 E. We bought tickets on the bus and it took less than 1/2 hour to get to Athens.

What time did you catch the bus? Thanks!

What time did you catch the bus? Thanks!

I can't remember the exact time, because we were supposed to dock at 8AM, and we didn't disembark until after 9AM. I would guess we caught the bus around 9:30 at the latest. In any event we were at the Acropolis by 10 AM.

• 2 months later...

We are staying for 1 night pre-cruise at Athens Gate Hotel on 10 Syngrou Avenue, Athens, 11742. I am wondering if it's practical to use this bus to get from the hotel to port? Is there any luggage storage area on the bus?

Thanks so much.

We are staying for 1 night pre-cruise at Athens Gate Hotel on 10 Syngrou Avenue, Athens, 11742. I am wondering if it's practical to use this bus to get from the hotel to port? Is there any luggage storage area on the bus?

Thanks so much.

There is a X80 bus stop at 20 meters from your hotel...

• 1 month later...

I had no idea where the bus would leave us ( I planned our day based on arriving near one of the metro stops), but the stop was a block south of the Acropolis Museum. This was perfect. We walked 1/2 block to the info booth on the right and she gave us directions to where to buy Acropolis tickets, which was just another block away. There was no wait and we were in.

We did this port on our own, and so glad we did, because it was crowded. I don't know how the tours kept their groups together and trying to narrate what you are seeing in the hot blazing sun would not have been my cup of tea.

On my tour we also visited the Theatre of Dionysos, Ancient Agora, Temple of Hephaetus, Hadrian's Library, Roman Agora, Tower of the Winds, Hadrian's Arch, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Panathenaic Stadium and the National Gardens. We also were able to get a feel of the local flavor and other "minor" sites during our walking tour through the neighborhoods in Athens.

Since we had no narrative during our walk through Athens, we didn't know a lot of what we were seeing. Having over heard many tour operators, I don't think I would remember most of what they were saying anyway. I know my way of sight seeing would not appeal to most, but my opinion was that I wanted to get a visual of as much as possible. After returning home I could then go back and put our photos and video to the history of what I actually saw.

Thanks much for this info. Sounds like a great plan for our trip but not for awhile, but gathering all info I can. Where did you pick up the bus for the ride back to ship? Did you also go to the Plaka?

Thanks!

Used the X80 last week. We docked at port A and found the bus stop just down from the DHL office across the street from the port. The street was quite difficult to cross at 9am due to traffic. Before crossing we bought tickets from a booth on the port side of the street just beside the hop on/off tour bus entrance.

Return was easy just across the road from the stop we got off at. Took about 30 mins to get in due to traffic and less that 20 mins to get back to the port.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to mention that the public bus company web site says that the X80 service is suspended as of early December. I imagine that's only because it is now winter and there aren't enough tourists to warrant it or make it worthwhile. However, it would be wise for anyone intending to use it (whether that be in the spring or whatever) to go on the ktel bus website (http://www.ktelbus.gr) to see if it's running.

After you took the bus from the port to the city centre, how did you get to the various places above? On foot? Bus? Metro?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...