Will the viral issues cause ccl to change from Carib

bitemyfly

I'm guessing you are talking about the Chikungunya virus. I don't see them altering itineraries although they might start making some recommendations about using repellants or something like that. Chikungunya virus is present in the United States now so one doesn't have to visit the Caribbean to get the virus. West Nile virus, dengue fever virus, and other mosquito-borne viruses have been possible around the Caribbean for years, and some of these others can be much more serious than Chikungunya. Roatan in Honduras has especially been problematic for years and Carnival has been calling in Roatan for some time. I can remember seeing mosquitos stuck to my cabin window after leaving Cozumel a couple years ago.

It's a good reminder for all of us to pack our repellant when we cruise.

I think I contracted it in May on the Glory. While waiting at Miami airport, I developed an extremely high fever, headache like I have never had and every joint in my body felt as if it was fuzed together. I even passed up $400 in future flight coupons to take a later flight. I honestly thought I was dying. Went to Dr next day. I had bronchitis, start of pneumonia. Gave me a Zpack which did nothing (well maybe for my bronchitis but nothing to ease the other symptoms). I have never sweat that much in my life. I had to constantly change my clothes and sheets. Worst 4 days of my life.

If that's not what it was, then I don't know what it could have been. But whatever it was, I don't want it again! One of my friends that was with me got it too. Just too coincidental in my book. Never heard anything about that stuff until a few days after I was back it was on the news.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me I'll still going to cruise. But I think I will bring some bug spray. Whatever virus I had was worse than full blown influenza. I'm talking the REAL flu not a cold, or "stomach flu". You know the one that kills people. I had a confirmed case of that about 6 years ago and it was child's play compared to the nasty crap I had recently. Yep. Bug spray is in order.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Either way, it doesn't matter to me I'll still going to cruise. But I think I will bring some bug spray. Whatever virus I had was worse than full blown influenza. I'm talking the REAL flu not a cold, or "stomach flu". You know the one that kills people. I had a confirmed case of that about 6 years ago and it was child's play compared to the nasty crap I had recently. Yep. Bug spray is in order.

If that is what you had you won't get it again. You are supposed to build up an immunity to it.

I had H1N1 when that nasty thing was going around. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Well, maybe a few people....

What geographic areas are we talking about? I haven't been keeping up with the talk on this matter.

ALL of the Caribbean and now the US too. Two confirmed cases acquired in Florida as of today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/17/chikungunya-florida-acquired-us-virus_n_5596927.html

This too will spread across the US just like West Nile did. Time to stock up on the Deet for not just cruising, but also for warm weather at home.

My husband got West Nile last year, we live in Rhode Island, he works outdoors. Mosquito born illnesses are unfortunately everywhere. While this one is contained to the Caribbean at the moment it won't be long until it's here. Use a spray with DEET, the longer you will be out in an area the stronger the spray you should use. You should only spray yourself once, but it needs to be a high enough concentration of DEET to last the entire time.

My husband was extremely ill from West Nile, but it was in combination with 2 tick born illnesses and the combination of all turned into meningitis to boot. He was hospitalized for 4 days and out of work for 6 weeks. Often times people who contract West Nile are ill and feel like they have the flu for a week, but are never sick enough to be tested for it.

After all we went through we still plan on vacationing to the Caribbean, just taking proper precautions.

Yes, the solution is to bring plenty of bug spray.:D I'm not going to stop cruising because of this, but I will have Deet with me. LOL

Same here. There are 13 cases of chikungunya confirmed in palm beach county, about 45 minutes south of where we live. One can get it on vacation or get it at home, won't let this interrupt my plans.

ALL of the Caribbean and now the US too. Two confirmed cases acquired in Florida as of today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/17/chikungunya-florida-acquired-us-virus_n_5596927.html

This too will spread across the US just like West Nile did. Time to stock up on the Deet for not just cruising, but also for warm weather at home.

Yes, since it is already here, should Carnival stop cruising from the US?

Skin So Soft is NOT an effective repellent for mosquitoes. Please do not use it. Deet is the only effective mosquito repellent. SSS has failed in every double blind test conducted by the CDC and other organizations.

You may not like having a chemical on the outside of your body but sure beats what you could end up on the inside of your body.

Take care,

Mike

Carnival is already warning passengers. It was on the front of the Fun Times last week when the Breeze stopped in Dominican Republic.

We did not get off the ship at that port but I am pretty sure I got it anyway-likely in Miami where I got many mosquito bites and the only place I didn't use my DEET.

Skin So Soft is NOT an effective repellent for mosquitoes. Please do not use it. Deet is the only effective mosquito repellent. SSS has failed in every double blind test conducted by the CDC and other organizations.

You may not like having a chemical on the outside of your body but sure beats what you could end up on the inside of your body.

Take care,

Mike

Skin So Soft did not work for me.

My husband got West Nile last year, we live in Rhode Island, he works outdoors. Mosquito born illnesses are unfortunately everywhere. While this one is contained to the Caribbean at the moment it won't be long until it's here. Use a spray with DEET, the longer you will be out in an area the stronger the spray you should use. You should only spray yourself once, but it needs to be a high enough concentration of DEET to last the entire time.

My husband was extremely ill from West Nile, but it was in combination with 2 tick born illnesses and the combination of all turned into meningitis to boot. He was hospitalized for 4 days and out of work for 6 weeks. Often times people who contract West Nile are ill and feel like they have the flu for a week, but are never sick enough to be tested for it.

After all we went through we still plan on vacationing to the Caribbean, just taking proper precautions.

A friend from work who had retired got West Nile.

It killed him.

He could not walk or talk.

Bad, bad, bad

It's reaching epidemic proportions in the Caribbean while a wild break out in San Juan

Could it affect sailings soon??

I doubt it.

Here in Florida we already have West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis(aka Triple E), the occasional outbreak of Dengue Fever; and now Chikungunya.

All of them are spread by mosquitos.

When you think about how many cruises depart from and return to Florida; you're probably about as likely to contract a mosquito borne illness on the way to your cruise or returning home from your cruise as you are from one of the ports you visit.

I doubt the cruise lines would curtail port calls based on mosquito borne viruses in the Caribbean, when the same viruses are already being transmitted in their home ports.

I doubt it.

Here in Florida we already have West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis(aka Triple E), the occasional outbreak of Dengue Fever; and now Chikungunya.

All of them are spread by mosquitos.

When you think about how many cruises depart from and return to Florida; you're probably about as likely to contract a mosquito borne illness on the way to your cruise or returning home from your cruise as you are from one of the ports you visit.

I doubt the cruise lines would curtail port calls based on mosquito borne viruses in the Caribbean, when the same viruses are already being transmitted in their home ports.

I cannot remember getting bit by a mesquite on any cruise including Costa Rica and an rain Forrest excursion. I won't be worried.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app