Cuba, Viking Cancel Policy

roothy123

TravelLynn, I just hope Viking realizes most of us will want the over night trip to Havana, and make sure they can accommodate all of us. Looking forward to the cruise! We lost friend this past Sunday, we used to travel with her a lot. I am sure she and her husband would have loved the chance to join this cruise, we will count our blessings, and remember her.

Thrilled to be going, and despite what I said, I don't really mind tendering. In reality, about the only bad thing about it is that it might subtract 20 minutes to the time we have ashore! I understand that some people can't or don't want to tender, but it seems like Viking does its best to get dock assignments when that's possible.

I think part of the unhappiness about Cuba is that there are a lot of newbies to Viking Ocean are these folks are used to the highly routinized river cruises that Viking runs over and over again. Unless there's not enough water in the Danube to sail, or something like that happens, things are pretty predictable. The boat pulls up to the same spot it used a week or two ago, and tour guides from the company who came a week or two ago come back to lead the same tours, etc. etc. Cruising on the ocean, to a new port, to a new country (where diplomatic relations could be strained, and where visits by Americans are new) and on a relatively new ship can and will bring some changes! I just roll with the changes and enjoy the ride.

Tendering isn't a big deal. I have an all terrain walker and they had no problem with getting it on board. To be more specific, my walker folds.

Tendering isn't a big deal. I have an all terrain walker and they had no problem with getting it on board. To be more specific, my walker folds.

I think that's Great - we'll see you aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

It's my understanding that some ships anchor and some dock. I was hoping to see what other cruise ships did when visiting Cienfuegos, but so far only one has been there that I can tell. It was a fairly small cruise ship and it looked like it was anchored - but close to the dock that other ships have apparently used. If she was anchored, the tender ride must have been really short. I think the same cruise ship is coming back on the 24th, so I'll look at it again. That won't really tell me much, but I'm curious. Also, once the Viking Sun goes to Cienfuegos in November, where she anchors or docks might give us a clue.

Viking Ocean ships are fairly small, but fairly long, so maybe docking isn't possible - or maybe another ship is there the same day and scheduled to use the dock.

I see the Dec. 1 cruise is almost booked up now - just a few penthouse suites are showing on the website as available, "limited availability" is listed for a few other suite categories, and no veranda rooms are bookable now.

I know my dv4 cabin doesn't allow me to book excursions for another 26 days, but when on My Viking Journey, they are all showing up as sold out. Is this normal until my booking time arrives?

I am sure it is just a Type o, I am not worried. They can not possibly be sold out this early. Just write it up to a wacky website. Hopefully they will make sure we all have room on the overnight trip to Havana. I have read on CC that they will offer that tour two nights to accommodate everyone. Lets give Viking the opportunity to do the right thing.

All the Cuba and Ocho Rios tours are listed intentionally as Sold Out because the arrangements for these tours are not finalized by Viking and the tour companies. The latest news from Viking is that the excursions should be opened up by the end of the month. At that time they will be offered by cabin category.

Dear jabrown40,

Although the “Sold Out” notice you’ve referenced isn’t necessarily normal, we are aware that this is how Cuba shore excursions are currently displaying in My Viking Journey.

As Eaches so kindly explained, the shore excursion schedule is still being finalized. Typically, we wait to post details until all of the information is confirmed, however, due to the recent itinerary adjustment, we published the description in advance so that guests could have an understanding of what the new shore excursion offerings from Cienfuegos would entail.

We appreciate your patience while we finalize this information, jabrown40. Shouldn’t be long now!

Looking forward to cruising with you soon.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

I know my dv4 cabin doesn't allow me to book excursions for another 26 days, but when on My Viking Journey, they are all showing up as sold out. Is this normal until my booking time arrives?

All the Cuba and Ocho Rios tours are listed intentionally as Sold Out because the arrangements for these tours are not finalized by Viking and the tour companies. The latest news from Viking is that the excursions should be opened up by the end of the month. At that time they will be offered by cabin category.

I am sure it is just a Type o, I am not worried. They can not possibly be sold out this early. Just write it up to a wacky website. Hopefully they will make sure we all have room on the overnight trip to Havana. I have read on CC that they will offer that tour two nights to accommodate everyone. Lets give Viking the opportunity to do the right thing.

I called Viking and they said to ignore - no one can book yet anyway and all of the tours will be open to all. The included that it is a matter of which day you would go if you are doing the overnight. I find the Viking reps to be awesome and very well informed.

I'm so glad I checked here before having a panic attack about sold out excursions. We just booked for the 11/17 cruise and I'm feeling pretty nervous about if/how Viking will pull everything off. I convinced my husband to try an ocean cruise for the first time and I don't want him to regret it. Thanks everyone! I will see if there is a roll call started....

I am thinking it will be awesome. e are excited t try out Viking ocean and our past experience with Viking river is that you will be well taken care throughout the experience and remember it is an experience. I find all of the activities being planned for Cuba to be extraordinary and their tours are good. What s to worry you are in a delightful cabin with access to spa pool with retractable roof, well prepared food and drinks included with your meals and various entertainment and you haven't seen stepped of the ship -you will be fine. OTOH if he doesn't like this experience he doesn't like cruising - this is upscale intimate cruising. Focus on packing your bags and deciding on excursions

I called Viking and they said to ignore - no one can book yet anyway and all of the tours will be open to all. The included that it is a matter of which day you would go if you are doing the overnight. I find the Viking reps to be awesome and very well informed.

We all are just waiting for the Ok ! See you on the ship

Yes they are !

RE: over night in Havana - When I called Viking about that, I was told that there will be enough slots to accommodate everyone on the ship in one of the two overnights. :D

RE: "sold out" - The Viking rep said these would open up to each level [suite/jr. suite/ etc] as it became time.

RE: Key West excursions - If you go in through the main part of the website, you can view the offerings.

I was also able to take advantage of cancellations to move from Dec. to November for this cruise. While I would prefer Cozumel to KW, as another poster indicated, those ports will be there for another time! We are really getting excited about this cruise and are looking forward to meeting all of you.

SueB

• 5 weeks later...
RE: over night in Havana - When I called Viking about that, I was told that there will be enough slots to accommodate everyone on the ship in one of the two overnights. :D

RE: "sold out" - The Viking rep said these would open up to each level [suite/jr. suite/ etc] as it became time.

RE: Key West excursions - If you go in through the main part of the website, you can view the offerings.

I was also able to take advantage of cancellations to move from Dec. to November for this cruise. While I would prefer Cozumel to KW, as another poster indicated, those ports will be there for another time! We are really getting excited about this cruise and are looking forward to meeting all of you.

SueB

Window opened for Deluxe Verandas today. Booking excursions only took a few minutes and was quick & smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Disappointed in the lack of choices for dinning in the extra restaurants. We were up at 12:01am and the selection was poor for DV could not book a table for 4 only 2. Says wait until you board the ship. The selection for spa treatment was all 6:30 or 7:00pm. Why would I want to go to the spa during the dinner hour. I do not like the class system on Viking, getting up at midnight to get a tour is ridiculous. My sister inlaw waited until the next morning and can not join us for the tours we booked. Not sure I am going to keep our reservations for 2019. We have a year before final payment to decide.

Disappointed in the lack of choices for dinning in the extra restaurants. We were up at 12:01am and the selection was poor for DV could not book a table for 4 only 2. Says wait until you board the ship. The selection for spa treatment was all 6:30 or 7:00pm. Why would I want to go to the spa during the dinner hour. I do not like the class system on Viking, getting up at midnight to get a tour is ridiculous. My sister inlaw waited until the next morning and can not join us for the tours we booked. Not sure I am going to keep our reservations for 2019. We have a year before final payment to decide.

The dinner reservations can be easily taken care of when you board the ship. For our up-coming journey, I don't plan to make any reservations before boarding; I know that I would end up changing whatever reservations I did make.

As for the tours, your sister-in-law should keep checking back to see if anything opens up, even if it is not the same slot. Once she books, then you can contact Viking and see what can be done to get you all on the same time slot. Tours that were sold out can open up after the initial rush. Viking does not keep a waiting list, so you have to keep watching.

We have sailed on Viking Oceans twice now. On the first cruise, we were in a V cabin and our friends we were sailing with were in a DV cabin. We simply each made reservations online for the same days/times and then visited the Maitre 'd of each restaurant upon boarding to secure tables for 4.

On our second cruise, we were traveling alone, and although I did make some dining reservations, there were a couple of evenings we simply walked up to the reservation desk and asked if they had a table and they were able to accommodate us.

For tours, as Peregrina has said, if the tour you want shows as closed out, keep checking back, as people change their minds, and you can also check at the Explorer's Desk once onboard. We did that and were able to secure space on a tour that had shown as closed online.

Becki

I do not like the class system on Viking

Every cruise line has a 'class system', as you call it but no one uses that term because it's perceived as negative. It is commonly called money. The entry level price for my cruise was within my budget and not paying as much as someone else might mean you don't get all the same advantages. Have you ever taken a plane? Viking is not unique with this concept.

Even 'luxury lines' have different styles and locations that effect your cost for the cruise. If you are in an inside cabin on the 4th or 8th deck, it is still an inside cabin though the prices might be different. I have friends that cruise on the inside cabins but they always cruise with the same people that have suite at the back of the ship and sponge off all their benefits.

Your restaurant 'problems' will be nonexistent once you board. People also may change their mind about hair appointments. I very seldom saw many people in the salon on our cruise. I work in this field and women do have the prerogative to change their mind...and do.

As for your excursions, the 2 of you should have coordinated better as to how to handle this task. I traveled with someone in another city so we set a time, got on the phone with each other and then connected with Viking online and went excursion by excursion to make sure we could be on the same tour. All of this has to do with flexibility on your part to be able to accommodate everyone. Have your recently set up a medical appointment?

Now you could pout and stew or quit majoring the minors. I'm sure, after your experience you will find that things were not nearly as bad as your imagination. Now it could go the other way but the plane could crash getting you to the ship. Experience is the best teacher and you probably will be glad you have another cruise scheduled.

Bon voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every cruise line has a 'class system', as you call it but no one uses that term because it's perceived as negative. It is commonly called money. The entry level price for my cruise was within my budget and not paying as much as someone else might mean you don't get all the same advantages. Have you ever taken a plane? Viking is not unique with this concept.

Even 'luxury lines' have different styles and locations that effect your cost for the cruise. If you are in an inside cabin on the 4th or 8th deck, it is still an inside cabin though the prices might be different. I have friends that cruise on the inside cabins but they always cruise with the same people that have suite at the back of the ship and sponge off all their benefits.

Your restaurant 'problems' will be nonexistent once you board. People also may change their mind about hair appointments. I very seldom saw many people in the salon on our cruise. I work in this field and women do have the prerogative to change their mind...and do.

As for your excursions, the 2 of you should have coordinated better as to how to handle this task. I traveled with someone in another city so we set a time, got on the phone with each other and then connected with Viking online and went excursion by excursion to make sure we could be on the same tour. All of this has to do with flexibility on your part to be able to accommodate everyone. Have your recently set up a medical appointment?

Now you could pout and stew or quit majoring the minors. I'm sure, after your experience you will find that things were not nearly as bad as your imagination. Now it could go the other way but the plane could crash getting you to the ship. Experience is the best teacher and you probably will be glad you have another cruise scheduled.

Bon voyage!

We did both say we would get up at midnight to work the issues. She slept through the time I even called her. As for class system that was mentioned on another forum, we travel another cruise line and you can start making reservations after your final payment. This cruise was paid for a year ago. Yes, bigger cabins have special perks and I have no problem with that, but the tours are another story. I was not aware the spa was a hair salon, I was talking spa treatments etc. That is not a mountain to die for but, having to make reservation at 12:00am is ridiculous. We received this advice from other CC people. That should not be necessary but, does seem to be the case. Talk about negative, mentioning planes crashing is in that field. As for pouting I have a right to express my feelings and be discouraged with this strange system and all cruises are expensive to whomever is making a reservation no matter your type of cabin.