toddler transportation YVR-Canada Place

Ashland

We will be doing a RT cruise out of Vancouver BC. with a 19 month old toddler and will not be bringing a carseat.

Given two choices should we use the cruiseship bus transfers or a taxi.

Please.....just between these two options only.

• 2 weeks later...

Cabs in Vancouver are exempt from requiring a car seat. Obviously, you are taking a risk if there is an accident...but it's not required under the law. I have done it many times with both my kids and been fine, but would never forgive myself if the unthinkable happened (though I guess the same could be said of a bus, too)

We will be doing a RT cruise out of Vancouver BC. with a 19 month old toddler and will not be bringing a carseat.

Given two choices should we use the cruiseship bus transfers or a taxi.

Please.....just between these two options only.

You also have another choice the skytrain station is about a 10 min walk this also runs direct to the airport. To make it easier on you guys I would take the transfer this way the luggage is all handled for you. We are from Vancouver if you have any other questions.

You also have another choice the skytrain station is about a 10 min walk this also runs direct to the airport. To make it easier on you guys I would take the transfer this way the luggage is all handled for you. We are from Vancouver if you have any other questions.

Luggage is all handled for us...by who and how :confused:

The line for a cab was horribly long when we got off our cruise in Vancouver. It was extremely difficult for my pretty-patient kids, especially after the long process of getting off the ship/going through immigration. Next time I would definitely pre-arrange transportation, no matter what the cost. Given the two choices you are limiting it to, I would choose the bus, which I also hate because you end up waiting for others and their luggage - but at least you'd be waiting on the bus and not in a long, winding line dragging your luggage.

You may also want to look into pre-booking a town car as they will provide a car seat for $15. In my opinion, this is far better than waiting in line for a cab or transfer!

http://vancouvertowncar.ca/cruise-ship-transportation

Yikes !!!! 2 hour minimum at $75-85.00 per hour...that's a pretty expensive trip from Canada Place -YVR.

She means if you take the ship's transfer, the luggage is handled for you. EM

I believe even if using the RCI transfers you still have to bring your own luggage after claiming it to the transfer bus. :confused:

The line for a cab was horribly long when we got off our cruise in Vancouver. It was extremely difficult for my pretty-patient kids' date=' especially after the long process of getting off the ship/going through immigration. Next time I would definitely pre-arrange transportation, no matter what the cost. Given the two choices you are limiting it to, I would choose the bus, which I also hate because you end up waiting for others and their luggage - but at least you'd be waiting on the bus and not in a long, winding line dragging your luggage.[/quote']

I wish RCI offered the luggage valet program at this airport...but sadly they don't.

Looks like the transfer bus may be the way to go to YVR in this situation.

Yikes !!!! 2 hour minimum at $75-85.00 per hour...that's a pretty expensive trip from Canada Place -YVR.

Airport transfers are a set price - not a "per hour" rate! You need to pre-book and get a quote, but when we did it it was $65 (I believe a cab is $35 with the set rate) so more expensive than a cab, but you get peace of mind with the car seat!

Airport transfers are a set price - not a "per hour" rate! You need to pre-book and get a quote, but when we did it it was $65 (I believe a cab is $35 with the set rate) so more expensive than a cab, but you get peace of mind with the car seat!

Yes the RCI bus transfers are $37.00pp one way.

The link you gave me for private transfers was $75.00-85.00 min of two hours with an additional $15.00 for car seat...correct :confused:

Do you think it might be best to use a taxi from YVR to Canada Place (approx $35.00 for the 5 of us) and then private transfers from Canada Place to YVR...:confused:

I'm now concerned about the long lines when we depart the ship as we drag our luggage and toddler with us.

This decision and how to best handle it is harder than I thought.

When using a private transfer company for a pick up at Canada Place..where do they meet you..any idea ?

The link you gave me for private transfers was $75.00-85.00 min of two hours with an additional $15.00 for car seat...correct :confused:

Do you think it might be best to use a taxi from YVR to Canada Place (approx $35.00 for the 5 of us) and then private transfers from Canada Place to YVR...:confused:

I'm now concerned about the long lines when we depart the ship as we drag our luggage and toddler with us.

When using a private transfer company for a pick up at Canada Place..where do they meet you..any idea ?

We travelled with out toddler I would take the transfer you don't have to pull the luggage all that far. It's all flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is directly from their rates page:

Airport Transfers Start from $65.00 to $135.00 depending on distance

We paid $65 to Downtown Vancouver and $15 for car seat but we pre-booked it and locked in the price. You are not "renting" the car, you are booking a transfer. There are other towncar companies in Vancouver that may be cheaper, just google it and compare pricing. I did this when my kid was a toddler, but now just use cabs (without a car seat) if I have to! I'm not sure what RCI does but with Princess, if you have a transfer and fly in same day the rep meets you at the carousel, puts your luggage on the bus, and the longshore men take it off at the other end. Disembarking is a whole other process where you may/may not have to take your luggage depending on many factors!

I think we need to do more math here. A taxi for $35...Do the taxis hold five with luggage? Can you put four in the back seat? Can you hold a toddler on your lap? Remember to count the driver...So if there are two adults, two taxis would cost $70 (is a tip expected?).

Ship transfer at $37pp, x5 = $185!

With conflicting prices for car service, I think more research into that option is a good idea. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I think we need to do more math here. A taxi for $35...Do the taxis hold five with luggage? Can you put four in the back seat? Can you hold a toddler on your lap? Remember to count the driver...So if there are two adults, two taxis would cost $70 (is a tip expected?).

Ship transfer at $37pp, x5 = $185!

With conflicting prices for car service, I think more research into that option is a good idea. EM

Thanks for making an issue of the math...however that was never my point...it was the choice of which option might work the best for our situation...not everything comes down to $$'s (or at least to us) when traveling with a grandchild on his first cruise. I wanted suggestions from those that might have done this before...so thanks.

Thanks for making an issue of the math...however that was never my point...it was the choice of which option might work the best for our situation...not everything comes down to $$'s (or at least to us) when traveling with a grandchild on his first cruise. I wanted suggestions from those that might have done this before...so thanks.

I have not done it at that particular port, but definitely understand what you are saying. We used a van taxi and a large SUV from a private car service in Florida with our 10 month old, but we brought our own car seat because we needed it for other portions of our trip. I think the car service would have provided one though, I would call and ask. It was a little more than the shuttle service our hotel provided for our group of 5, but not that much more and definitely worth it for the convenience. That or the cruise line's bus transfer are the only options I would consider when traveling with both a young child without a car seat and luggage.

As someone from Vancouver who just got off a ship this week at Canada Place with two very young children, I would say the following:

-getting out of Canada Place is quite easy with all of your baggage as it's well marked, flat, and calm

-having lived in Vancouver for a long time, I can tell you that the taxi's in this city are horrible, mostly because there are not enough of them and the traffic can be unpredictable at times

-when we disembarked we were the only ship arriving, however if you arrive on a day where there are 4-5 ships, your wait for a taxi will be horrible.

-the SkyTrain (Canada Line) to and from the airport is very convenient and cheaper, however you will have to be prepared to lug you bags up and down and deal with the hassle of crowds and such

-arranging a private car service before hand to wait for you would be by far the best option. I've never had to deal with the transfers provided by the cruise line, but I imagine that would be a good option also.

I have not done it at that particular port, but definitely understand what you are saying. We used a van taxi and a large SUV from a private car service in Florida with our 10 month old, but we brought our own car seat because we needed it for other portions of our trip. I think the car service would have provided one though, I would call and ask. It was a little more than the shuttle service our hotel provided for our group of 5, but not that much more and definitely worth it for the convenience. That or the cruise line's bus transfer are the only options I would consider when traveling with both a young child without a car seat and luggage.

Thanks so much for sharing and understanding.