Wow, Airfare prices

cruisinfanatic

Had my Indy cruise for Feb all booking and got amazing price of $1300 total with taxes. Forgot it was Presidents Week.

Checked air on Southwest (lowest fare from Albany) 1st thing yesterday when rates became available and it's triple the normal cost.

Change of plans for sure. I now have booked reasonably priced air for 1st week of Feb and will go on whatever has a deal

Edited by SeaUs

Had my Indy cruise for Feb all booking and got amazing price of $1300 total with taxes. Forgot it was Presidents Week.

Checked air on Southwest (lowest fare from Albany) 1st thing yesterday when rates became available and it's triple the normal cost.

Change of plans for sure. I now have booked reasonably priced air for 1st week of Feb and will go on whatever has a deal

Keep checking daily. Airfare is UP right now but they have sales every two to three weeks and you should be able to book a lot cheaper.

Prices are CRAZY! I logged on 1st thing yesterday and was disappointed!

Being Canadian I had NO idea that the 15th of Feb would be crazy priced for our return trip from FLL to BUF! No clue about Presidents week.

Southwest only has 1 direct fly home on the Sunday. Since DH won't do a connecting flight I sucked it up and booked yesterday.

I'm am glad I did though as the price went up $25 per person overnight.

We Normally fly the end of January.

Our Feb flights are about $300 more then what we usually pay in January. :eek:

If your cruise is leaving Fort Lauderdale or Miami in February

we Fly into Fort Myers and rent a car works great for us. Extends our trip several days for no extra cost.

You could also check flights to Orlando

Orlando flights were cheap .. Unfortunately the 3 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando is a hassle.

Airfares are always astronomical on the first days they are posted. It will come down,but since you're looking at a holiday weekend,you can't get too "greedy" and see how low it will drop.

Good luck!

Keep checking daily. Airfare is UP right now but they have sales every two to three weeks and you should be able to book a lot cheaper.

Last time we booked our BUF-FLL on Southwest was the day the booking window opened up and it was the cheapest it ever was. I normally check daily!

From yesterday to today the prices have gone up.

I'll keep an eye out. If it drops I'll rebook and retain a credit for next trip.

Airfares are always astronomical on the first days they are posted. It will come down,but since you're looking at a holiday weekend,you can't get too "greedy" and see how low it will drop.

Good luck!

Not correct..

Our last BUF-FLL flight was booked on the day the Southwest booking window opened up. That was the cheapest the flight was and I check usually daily.

May not work for you, but I once had to cruise during president's week. Both cruise and air fares out of Florida were ridiculous. I ended up cruising out of Texas! Yup...I live in the northeast too, but ...while not cheap... it was less costly than a cruise out of Florida because Texas (and surrounding areas) don't have a school break that week.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Many people travel on a budget. Some have even saved for many years and their vacation may be the only one they ever take.

Wanting the most economical airfare is not "greedy" Sometimes $200 can make or break a trip for a family.

I've been checking airfare since January when I booked our November cruise out of FLL. It is horrible how high it is, and has not come down at all, just up. I keep checking every few days. If I would have booked the Navigator, we could have driven, but the Allure was calling my name. :) We will just suck it up and pay the price. I'm counting on paying $900-$1000 for the two of us!! :(

I feel your pain. I am still in shock at what I just paid to fly to Orlando for our cruise on Freedom over President's Week. The airfare for the four of us was almost as much as the cruise itself. Unfortunately, I am a teacher, so I am limited to traveling the weeks in which school is out in the Northeast. Sigh... In a mere 19 years, when I retire, I will be able to travel during the "off times". Until then, I have to pay premium rates.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm pricing airfare from Chicago to FLL, departing on Thursday, Feb. 5 (cruise is the following day) and returning on Monday, Feb. 16. United, with whom I have a MileagePlus account and an Explorer Visa, is charging over $800 for the flight times that I'd usually take! Yikes!!! It's a bit cheaper if I want to fly to FLL mid-afternoon instead of morning, but it's still about $550 R/T. I have a feeling that United is playing a cat-and-mouse game with Southwest (who just posted their post-Jan. 4 fares) and waiting until Southwest's cheaper fares are gone before they come back and open up cheaper fare buckets.

I may have to bite the bullet and fly Southwest or American (or a combination thereof).

Maybe there should be a sticky in Cruise Air titled: "I'm shocked at air prices, it costs more than my cruise and I want to whine". All those posts could go there.

Nah...it would get the same notice and attention as the sticky on when Southwest opens their booking window.

Separate thought. Consider if CC levied a charge every time someone hits the "New Thread" button.....

Edited by FlyerTalker

Maybe there should be a sticky in Cruise Air titled: "I'm shocked at air prices, it costs more than my cruise and I want to whine". All those posts could go there.

Nah...it would get the same notice and attention as the sticky on when Southwest opens their booking window.

Separate thought. Consider if CC levied a charge every time someone hits the "New Thread" button.....

I posted something similar in the other whingeing thread that just showed up!:D

Wish our airfare was as cheap as Americans fees are, we just booked Nova Scotia to Fort Lauderdale in April. Total is 1710.00 for the two of us!!!!

And that was a good price from this part of Canada

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good luck!

I believe the OP was looking at SW--their fares seldom come down, sometimes you can find a sale in specific markets, but they are usually something like Albany to Detroit leaving Wednesday at 6:10 am and returning the following Tuesday at 10:00 am.