Adding Second Person on Solo Booking

OSUZorba

We are sailing on the Oct 29th Liberty of the Seas sailing. DW, DD and I are booked together and my Mother is booked in a PR cabin solo. My mother got a great deal on her cabin, but still paid the full 200% single supplement.

Any ways, my MIL is now thinking about joining us in my mother's cabin. So my DM called RCL tonight to see about adding my MIL and they told her she'd have to pay the current fair for both people (additional $500). I thought since she is already basically paying for a second person that she should be able to replace the supplement with a real person and just add fees.

The only posts I've been able to find on here are pretty old, but it seemed like most people didn't have to pay the fare difference. So I was wondering if anyone know of what the current policy was for adding a second on a solo reservation.

TIA

We are sailing on the Oct 29th Liberty of the Seas sailing. DW, DD and I are booked together and my Mother is booked in a PR cabin solo. My mother got a great deal on her cabin, but still paid the full 200% single supplement.

Any ways, my MIL is now thinking about joining us in my mother's cabin. So my DM called RCL tonight to see about adding my MIL and they told her she'd have to pay the current fair for both people (additional $500). I thought since she is already basically paying for a second person that she should be able to replace the supplement with a real person and just add fees.

The only posts I've been able to find on here are pretty old, but it seemed like most people didn't have to pay the fare difference. So I was wondering if anyone know of what the current policy was for adding a second on a solo reservation.

TIA

*I* think what you thought. To whom did Mom speak? Call C&A in the morning yourself, and ask again. 800-526-9723

Do the two Moms get along that well? That is lovely. :)

I agree. You aren't changing the reservation, you're just adding a name.

Of course she'll be charged the taxes/fees.

I am sailing next week, solo, and was hoping my daughter would decide to join me. The ship has been sold out for a month; would they say that she couldn't go because nothing is available? LOL... call again, you should really not have a problem.

Have a great time!

Jana

I agree. You aren't changing the reservation, you're just adding a name.

Of course she'll be charged the taxes/fees.

I am sailing next week, solo, and was hoping my daughter would decide to join me. The ship has been sold out for a month; would they say that she couldn't go because nothing is available? LOL... call again, you should really not have a problem.

Have a great time!

Jana

Yes, actually, they may very well say she cannot go. If lifeboats for that station are full they cannot and will not take more passengers. Even if you are in a cabin that sleeps four, you cannot add to it if the lifeboat has reached capacity.

To the OP, speak to someone else.

When booking a really good rate that is the "double occupancy" for a single traveller (ie, son planned to sail alone, but the single rate was 200% of the currently offered fare---as was the case for your mother), RCI advised us it was best to book it as DS plus a TBD passenger unless we were 100% certain we would not change our minds and have someone join him. Why? Beucase to add in a second passenger later would require rebooking at the current rate (as you were told) but to have a fictional second passenger "no show" would not cost anything extra.

So, at least in our experience from the booking side of things, we were told what you have been told---that once it is booked as a single, adding someone in requires rebooking everyone at the current rate (just like adding a third or fourth passenger in to a cabin with those berths but initially booked for only two, causes everyone to be repriced).

Yes, actually, they may very well say she cannot go. If lifeboats for that station are full they cannot and will not take more passengers. Even if you are in a cabin that sleeps four, you cannot add to it if the lifeboat has reached capacity.

Ooooh, didn't think of that.

I booked directly through RCCL and was told I could add her up to xxx date, I can't remember if it had to be two weeks or one week before sailing.

Booking as a double sounds like a good idea in theory but only if you're willing to go with a refundable deposit fare or lose the deposit on the phantom second person, and don't mind RCCL having the use of your money in taxes until you declare the no-show. Am I right on that?

Jana

I added my mother in-law to one of upcoming bookings and I had to pay the going rate for the cabin. It worked out because the cabin had actually gone down in price. Not sure the specific policies because I know every rep at Royal Caribbean is definitely not trained correctly and you get a different answer every time you call.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will have her call back. Unfortunately, we didn't book together, so I don't think they will talk to me about her reservation.

*I* think what you thought. To whom did Mom speak? Call C&A in the morning yourself, and ask again. 800-526-9723

Do the two Moms get along that well? That is lovely. :)

I am pretty sure she called the general number and she said the person wasn't very confidence inspiring. I told her call C&A next time.

My wife's family and mine get a lot really well, even our siblings. It is really nice. The only issue I see might be that my mom is pretty used to independent travel while I think my MIL will be a bit more clingy. I am pretty sure that will be a bigger issue for my wife than anyone else ;).

I knew this could be an issue, but I don't think it is on our sailing (yet, anyways), since they did price out the additional person and they are still selling neighboring cabins. Halloween cruises tend to be light on kids, so I think that also makes them light on extra berths being used.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I’m glad it worked out, but you would think this would be a no brainer for RCI. Aside from lifeboat space, they are getting an extra person who will spend money onboard. It shouldn’t take 2 phone calls to get this taken care of.

Sent from my iPad using Forums