Bubba Gumps or Landry's for out of town family

Our son and daughter in law are joining us in May for our Liberty cruise. It will be there first time in Galveston. We are picking them up at Hobby and taking them to dinner on Saturday. We want to go to Bubba Gumps or Landry's. Which is better in food, location, ambience??

We have points in Landry restaurants so want to use them.

Thanks, Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both will have generally same food , both are Landry chain .

Bubba Gump will have view over water. Where Landry not a view.

Bubba is on Pleasure Pier and more feel of celebration with carnival atmosphere!

Landry is next door to the erupting Volcano and a Plaza where sometimes they have music and some kind of entertainment!

Edited by ssb

Our son and daughter in law are joining us in May for our Liberty cruise. It will be there first time in Galveston. We are picking them up at Hobby and taking them to dinner on Saturday. We want to go to Bubba Gumps or Landry's. Which is better in food, location, ambience??

We have points in Landry restaurants so want to use them.

Thanks, Margee

Been to both and their atmosphere is different. I do not mean in a negative way. Bubba Gumps is based on the movie theme.

Visit their main WEB site http://www.landrysselect.com/, look at their menus and then make a decision. You do not have to be a member to browse through the menus.

We live near Waco. There is a new Saltgrass Steakhouse here. We do not have the selection of restaurants that are available in Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.

Lee, can you suggest a better place? We will not get to Galveston until about 5 pm. We plan on a whirlwind drive to see some of the historical places and a short drive to see the tree sculptures. So much to see -- so little time [emoji4][emoji4]

Margee

I would recommend The Topwater Grill in San Leon. It is on Galveston Bay about 20 miles from Galveston. Excellent, VERY fresh seafood, right on the water. Some Saturdays they have fishing tournaments or Cigarette type power boat poker runs.

Kinda hard to find, as the road stops there.

http://topwatergrill.com/

Margie and Bill

Knowing your good tastes for food and wine;

The top upscale restaurants in Galveston are :

The Steakhouse

Shearns

Number 13

Rudy and Pacos

R&P by trip advisor is Rated as one of top 100 restaurants in US .

It is one of our favorites also.

Reservations a must at R&P

Edited by ssb

Thanks so much, Lee. Rudy and Pacos it is!

We can always use our Landry points for ourselves. This is a big deal for me: celebrating my 75th birthday and first cruise on Royal with my son and daughter in law.

Margee

Thanks so much, Lee. Rudy and Pacos it is!

We can always use our Landry points for ourselves. This is a big deal for me: celebrating my 75th birthday and first cruise on Royal with my son and daughter in law.

Margee

Hi Margee:

Make your reservations ASAP - They are booked up every night.

What a nice dinner and trip. I know you and Bill will have a wonderful time.

When are you going?

Mary

Mary and Lee: Rudy and Pacos is full for May 14!! Only have 8 pm open, I'm afraid that's too late, but we are going to book it for 8 pm anyway. Our son is coming from California so it won't seem late to them.

We will have to rest up on the ship[emoji6]. We will have plenty of time to show them a little of Galveston and hit a liquor store before dinner.

Wish you two were with us! See you on board again someday.

Margee

Mary and Lee: Rudy and Pacos is full for May 14!! Only have 8 pm open, I'm afraid that's too late, but we are going to book it for 8 pm anyway. Our son is coming from California so it won't seem late to them.

We will have to rest up on the ship. We will have plenty of time to show them a little of Galveston and hit a liquor store before dinner.

Wish you two were with us! See you on board again someday.

---------------

Margee

Thanks so much for friendship!

Wish we were with you on cruise also!

Yes Mamma Mia is playing next door at theater that night!

1894 Grand Opera House. A wonderful old theater actually built in 1894. The Official Historical Opera House of the State of Texas. We are lucky to have it.

If y'all are into History there is here also

Bryan Museum which has largest collection of historical Western, art, guns , Texas artifacts in Southeastern US . If you need help with other things just ask. There is a lot to do. That may be a weekend for Annual Homes Tour (see galvestohistory.org) Galveston has second largest preservation foundation in US.

See Moody Gardens also. Railroad, oil and gas industry , lone star flight museums. NASA . ELISSA TallShip restoration . Short films on Pirate Jean LAfitte, 1900 Great storm , and Galveston Immigration History - all at Maritime Museum by ELISSA! Bishops Palace and Moody Masion are wonderful also.

Edited by ssb

Thanks, Lee for your suggestions. We are planning a drive-by tour of the historical sites and the Tree Sculptures. We don't want to overwhelm our son with too much show and tell. It's their vacation and they just want to relax.

Margee

Thanks, Lee for your suggestions. We are planning a drive-by tour of the historical sites and the Tree Sculptures. We don't want to overwhelm our son with too much show and tell. It's their vacation and they just want to relax.

Margee

For sure!

Lee, one more question, I promise. How is the parking near Rudy and Paco's? With Mamma Mia playing, will there be parking?

Margee

Yes maybe a couple of blocks away .

• 2 weeks later...

We do Landrys in Galveston because of the $25 bday freebie

BUt for a special Bday I would take Lees suggestion and do something nicer

BTW Happy Bday Mrs Caymus;)

Thanks, Johnny. I hope they bring on enough Caymus for me! This is a special birthday, so my son asked what I wanted. Of course I said I wanted him to go on this cruise with us. He and his wife have never been to Galveston or the Caribbean before. They plan on some snorkeling and lots of just chilling.

Hope to see you again soon

Margee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's Rudy and Paco's for sure. We have our reservations and are all set. I simply can't wait. Suitcases are in the loading position. Bill even has begun to think "hmmm, guess I'd better start thinking about this.

I hope we have dry weather. We have waterproofed our luggage and line them with plastic sheeting. We've had our luggage sit out in pouring rain once before. Learned our lesson.

Margee

It's Rudy and Paco's for sure. We have our reservations and are all set. I simply can't wait. Suitcases are in the loading position. Bill even has begun to think "hmmm, guess I'd better start thinking about this.

I hope we have dry weather. We have waterproofed our luggage and line them with plastic sheeting. We've had our luggage sit out in pouring rain once before. Learned our lesson.

Margee

Hi Margee

Rudy and Pacos looks good we must try it one day

Have a great bday cruise and enjoy your Caymus ;)

We hop on our Inday TA in about an hr:D