100 Euro via Paypal for Deposit

GoofingOff

Do you think this is too much to ask of us? Our group tour is in early August for Naples region. This is for a full day tour costing about 700 Euros.

All other tours I booked for this cruise have asked 0 to 25 Euros.

FWIW, I got recommendation to this tour operator from these boards, but they are not one of the frequently recommended companies. I could only find the one recommedation I saw, but that poster is legitimate.

What do you think?

Do you think this is too much to ask of us? Our group tour is in early August for Naples region. This is for a full day tour costing about 700 Euros.

All other tours I booked for this cruise have asked 0 to 25 Euros.

FWIW, I got recommendation to this tour operator from these boards, but they are not one of the frequently recommended companies. I could only find the one recommedation I saw, but that poster is legitimate.

What do you think?

I think a 100 deposit on 700 cost is reasonable. Yes they can stiff you for the 100 but from their prospective you can stiff them for 700. I paid 50 on 400.

Being the innately suspicious New Yorker that I am, when I first started to cruise in Europe, I was surprised that most tour companies in Europe DID NOT ask for a deposit. Some (in St. Petersburg no less!) didn't even ask for a credit card number. It was all done through the honor system. So its probably not unreasonable for one company to ask for a deposit of approximately 15 - 20%.

That being said, 100 euro is still a lot of money to lose if the company is not reputable and there's no one waiting for you at the pier. I would try to check them out further.

A good friend is a tour guide and once in a while she gets people who book her for the whole day and never show up. I told her she needs to ask for a deposit of at least 25% via PayPal. That way if somehow they don't show--I don't really care why--she gets some compensation for reserving the day on those flakes.

I have never paid a deposit for a tour, but can you blame them for asking? If you don't show up, they've wasted an entire day.

If you pay using your credit card (NOT debit card) via Paypal, and they don't show up, you will get your money back. I don't see a big risk here if it's a reputable company.

A good friend is a tour guide and once in a while she gets people who book her for the whole day and never show up. I told her she needs to ask for a deposit of at least 25% via PayPal. That way if somehow they don't show--I don't really care why--she gets some compensation for reserving the day on those flakes.

I was going to write almost the same thing...a friend in Italy does tours and asks for a deposit as she has jad people not show up or even bother to cancel ahead of time and that has left her high and dry.She is used here on the board and most people I know that use her have not had a problem with a depost for the services.If it bothers you to make a deposit than use someone else is all I can say.

If you pay using your credit card (NOT debit card) via Paypal, and they don't show up, you will get your money back. I don't see a big risk here if it's a reputable company.

Very good point! If the guide is the flake (which happens I'm sure) customers can get their refund back. I should tell my friend this tidbit to see if it encourages her to ask for the deposit in the first place. As far as I know she still doesn't, but in her years of experience she's only had one no-show. One too many in my book! In my business I will not put up with flaky customers, so why should she?

Edited by Jolimont

I have never paid a deposit for a tour, but can you blame them for asking? If you don't show up, they've wasted an entire day.

The key are the words "reputable company" because the risk is you pay by credit card and they don't show up and now you don't have a tour and have to run around.

I think the key is to make sure that the company is reputable.

Personally, if it was me with so much choice out there I would look for another company unless this one comes very highly recommended which doesn't seem to be the case.

Keith

I agree with most of the posters. No up front money. I have given a credit card # and I can always contest that cost if the trip fails. I usually monitor and if they charge the card before the trip I would cancel but that has not happened. My recent tours have required no deposit. Follow the recommendations of tour operators from these boards, they've been there and used these people. There are many good tour operators and they live and die by our recommendations. Your explore new operators at your expense. Happy cruising

I am apparently a trusting soul and incredibly lucky. I prepaid one whole day tour in Palermo, two 3-4 hour tours in Rome and had no problems. In each case they only asked for a deposit, but I like to get as much paid for as possible before I go (makes the trip seem almost free!... well, sort of). If I could have prepaid my other 2 whole day tours, I would have. I had a good feeling from my numerous emails with all of the tour operators (EXTENSIVE emails in some cases) and everything turned out fine. I think they SHOULD take a deposit in the case of whole day tours, to protect themselves against no-shows.

When we toured that area in 2009 we used pleasantravel dot com. Mariano was fabulous and we will be using him again this year. He asked me for a credit card number and said that it would be charged only if we didn't show. When you book these tours make sure that you fully understand their cancellation policy, especially if you give a deposit or credit card to secure it. You may be detoured from that port and cannot make the tour in which case you will definitely want to make sure what their policy is. I agree with other posters that in Europe they don't usually request payment ahead of time. If you need to cancel, though, you need to give them as much notice as possible.

• 2 years later...
Very good point! If the guide is the flake (which happens I'm sure) customers can get their refund back. I should tell my friend this tidbit to see if it encourages her to ask for the deposit in the first place. As far as I know she still doesn't, but in her years of experience she's only had one no-show. One too many in my book! In my business I will not put up with flaky customers, so why should she?

Have you had any flaky customers? it seems to me that you have.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this reputable tour company to whom we're hiring in October for 285 Euros for a tour and they want a 50 Euros deposit thru paypal. I asked their cancellation policy and they told me and I quote

No refund on the deposit for cancellation after the 30th August.
. I'm not sure but doesn't that seem unreasonable? If we cancel within 60 days before the tour, we cannot get our deposit back? What do you think?

I've asked what if it's our flight or ship's fault and or if it's their fault that we have to cancel, can we still get our deposit back? I haven't heard back from them. Ed

I have this reputable tour company to whom we're hiring in October for 285 Euros for a tour and they want a 50 Euros deposit thru paypal. I asked their cancellation policy and they told me and I quote . I'm not sure but doesn't that seem unreasonable? If we cancel within 60 days before the tour, we cannot get our deposit back? What do you think?

I've asked what if it's our flight or ship's fault and or if it's their fault that we have to cancel, can we still get our deposit back? I haven't heard back from them. Ed

I agree that is a very restrictive cancellation policy. I would make sure it is not a mistake. If not, I would look elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

I just sent a 209 Euro deposit for an 11 day b & b stay in Palermo. I used a credit card on Pay pal for payment. If it is a scam, I will contact my credit card company within two billing cycles to tell them the hotel I charged my credit card for was a vacant lot or a trash bin in an alley.