what are the must do's

Ms. T

First real vacation in years and don't want to miss a thing. What are the must do's in Port Canaveral, Nassau & Freeport? Anyone been to the "straw market"? I would love to pick up a nice straw hat for my daughters.

One of my "must do's" is avoid the straw market like the plague. Maybe it's improved; I haven't been there in years but they used to grab you to try to induce you to buy their cr@p. The majority of what's sold there is not authentic or native. Read the labels; it's made in China.

First real vacation in years and don't want to miss a thing. What are the must do's in Port Canaveral, Nassau & Freeport? Anyone been to the "straw market"? I would love to pick up a nice straw hat for my daughters.

Skip the straw market. The vendors are VERY pushy. ;)

I hate to say it, but if you're going to miss something. It's just not possible to do everything you'd ever want to do in every port. Plus, there's always the possibility of your ship altering it's itinerary based on weather or other variables the cruise line can't control.

So knowing this, research your ports, find a few things that you'd really like to do then go with the flow and enjoy your vacation! ;) Personally in Port Canaveral I wouldn't miss the Kennedy space centre, and we had a great time at the Blue Lagoon in Nassau. Never been to Freeport, so can't comment on that one.

Rule #1: Do not try to do everything! (If you do, when you return to your homeport, you will need a vacation from your vacation!)

My humble opinion: "Better in the Bahamas"? Nice advertising slogan. I'll stay on the ship and enjoy its amenities.

OP - you have started a lot of threads recently, and I think you would find it helpful to get a guidebook, or look online, for information about your ports and decide what you want to see.

Agree, if you want a nice straw hat, purchase it at home. IMO, there is really nothing to interesting or special to purchase at most cruise stops in the Caribbean. Lots of junk though.

OP - you have started a lot of threads recently, and I think you would find it helpful to get a guidebook, or look online, for information about your ports and decide what you want to see.

Agree, if you want a nice straw hat, purchase it at home. IMO, there is really nothing to interesting or special to purchase at most cruise stops in the Caribbean. Lots of junk though.

Pardon me if my starting threads is ignoring to you, but I like others are here to learn and only ask what we don't, want or need to know.

Besides, I'm sure you like others started just as we did.

THANKS everyone else

Pardon me if my starting threads is ignoring to you, but I like others are here to learn and only ask what we don't, want or need to know.

Besides, I'm sure you like others started just as we did.

THANKS everyone else

Dont stress, sweetheart. I dont think they were trying to be rude just a suggestion. Welcome to Cruise Critic you will leave on your cruise feeling like an expert. As a Central Fl Native i can tell you, SKIP the beach, cocoa isnt a good one. I personally dont care for nasa but if space interests you, go for it!

IMHO....its doesn't matter if you can purchase that "straw hat" (ring, necklace, shot glass, magnet, whatever...you get the idea)......its not always about the price of something. Sometimes, its more about the fact that every time you look at "it", it will be a reminder of your special vacation. Its a memory.

BTW...the straw market is just like a swap meet, but with VERY aggressive vendors. And, once you are there, you will discover that 90% of the merchandise is the same from one vendor to the next. Don't waste your time walking thru the whole darn thing. If you see something (a straw hat, whatever), just buy it...because its not going to be any cheaper at the next place, or the next place, etc.

IMHO....its doesn't matter if you can purchase that "straw hat" (ring, necklace, shot glass, magnet, whatever...you get the idea)......its not always about the price of something. Sometimes, its more about the fact that every time you look at "it", it will be a reminder of your special vacation. Its a memory.

You know, that's totally true. I guess all I should keep in mind is will it fit and look nice in my single wide.

straw market is something to skip specially if you have limited time...

if you have to do it...go right down the center...its bigger and not as crowded and you wont feel like someone is over your shoulder like you do down the other aisles not as cramped and closed in and they pretty much have the same down each of them.

check out the Ports of Call board for the Bahamas

and in PC i would take in KSC if you have time--altho avoid the space shuttle simulator if you have any motion sickness problems or back or neck problems, other than this it was really COOL!!!

Archived