QUANTUM is EPIC FAILURE—2½ STARS!!!

gkbiiii

Who is still going on the slow boat to China?

Fortunately Royal has broken up the Jersey to China trip into several legs. I have no desire to cross the Atlantic in a non-oceanliner but the 16 night Barcelona to Dubai leg looks very appealing. The biggest hurdle is that I am self employed and being gone for 18-20 days would be a challenge. We are booked on a 12 night cruise on QoS in April but considering moving to this European leg. In either case, I can't wait to sail on such a fantastic ship.

In is interesting that some like the NCL Freestyle concept better, than the traditional RCI dining. Personally I can't see it, but it does seem that there are people that do.

I tried NCL's freestyle in Mar 2013. Personally, I really disliked it. The service, along with the food was really lacking. That's one of the only reasons I'm worried about Dynamic Dining, but I'm hoping its a different experience with the multiple complimentary restaurants…

I certainly hope they won't attract so many "blind followers" as you call them. They're the ones who can't see the forest for the trees. No sense of adventure! Royal delivers a ship that is a marvel of modern engineering and all some people can see is that their set dining habits have been tampered with? C'mon now. Put some big boy panties on and embrace the future. :rolleyes:

I like the set dining. I was just on my first Norwegian cruise a few months ago. I was disappointed in the waiters who wanted to have you in and out as fast as they can (trying to take our order before our whole party was sitting) and vacuuming while we were finishing dinner.

I like to have a rapport with my servers and tablemates, it is something I have always enjoyed.

And big boy "panties"... No such thing. :rolleyes:

I came to address that. I thought final cost was just under $1B.

The rest of the review echoes other reviews though; nothing really special done for the maiden voyage which is disappointing, and the fees for everything is just out of control.

This is a cruise ship for people who have never been on a ship and have only done land vacations.

Have to disagree with your final comment. We have been cruising since 1980 and found much to marvel about on Quantum. Certainly there were some technical glitches and perhaps some service issues (although we experienced none when and where we dined - (Chic, Grande, American Icon, Coastal Kitchen, Windjammer, and Two70 cafe) but nothing that isn't common with the introduction of any new ship, especially the first in its class.

Give them a few months and I suspect that they will have eliminated most if not all of the problems and made whatever changes may prove to have been necessary. We are looking forward to our February cruise and have no fears that we and our friends will fully enjoy our experiences on Quantum.

Patty and Jim.........I just got off of the "Naming Pre Inaugural" and the answer is a resounding..............NO!!

I believe you two will love what Royal Caribbean has produced. It's a step away from what they have done in the past........but they definitely delivered the WOW on this ship.

And you know us.......we are picky!!

Rick

Glad to see that we agree, Rick. We are probably pretty picky as well but our five nights on Quantum only whetted our appetite for our longer cruise on her in February. Patty and Jim - don't cancel or you will miss an amazing experience.

Well Quantum has not as of yet, gained more than a 50% approval rating on Cruise Critic. WOW, this is just like my experience with the Epic, with mixed results based on her flawed design.

The Epic is at 71% now, meaning early reviews are not a guide to its ultimate numbers.

Edited by Biker19

Many times getting bad service can be more of a function of the circumstances rather than the system. We have had outstanding dinning experiences in the MDR and we have had lousy experiences in the MDR (food, service and table companions). You can always ask for another table but no guarantees it will be better. Relax you are on vacation!

I really don't understand the issue about not having enough notice about the Dynamic Dining. Royal announced the concept and posted the descriptions and menus (examples) for all the restaurants in early spring. Since Royal requires your non-refundable payment 70 days before sailing, the 11/2 sailing commitment date would have been around September 23rd. Therefore anyone on the TA sailing would have had 6 months to read about and decide if this is what they wanted before the commitment date. It really is irrelevant how long ago you booked because you can cancel and get all payments refunded up to 70 days before sailing.

I realize some people had to make non-refundable airline reservations in advance but most airlines don't even post schedules more than 11 months in advanced and many schedules will change more than 6 month out so it is not wise to book non-refundable ticket more than 6 months out. Even if you have non-refundable tickets you can always change the date and destinations for a $75-$150 change fee. It may not be preferred but much better than paying for a $5000 cruise you don't want.

Irrelevant? So because someone booked a flight early you thought was not wise, the whole thing is irrelevant?

What if you booked with other couples?

What if you booked the port so you wouldn't have to fly?

What if your work schedule required you to book in advance?

What if you booked on-board and would lose a substantial OBC?

What if you canceled with less than six months and lost part of your C&A discount?

What if you booked in advance to get a specific aft cabin?

What if you actually believed the menus posted would be on the ship?

What if you believed the dinner reservations process would take only 15 minutes?

I'm almost speechless on how cavalier you are about canceling a cruise, as if there was no pain what-so-ever. Just give it a break, It doesn't matter to me whether you understand or not.

WOW do you worry about everything like this? I'll play your "What if the sky falls game"

See answers to your What Ifs...

What if you booked with other couples? Let them go alone if they like new experiences and you don't

What if you booked the port so you wouldn't have to fly? Cancel and book another ship out of the same or nearby port (you can sail out of NJ, NY, Boston or Baltimore with out flying)

What if your work schedule required you to book in advance? I was not advocating against booking early, just don't get your panties in a wad if you have to cancel.

What if you booked on-board and would lose a substantial OBC? You don't lose anything if you don't sail, besides I have been able to transfer my OBC to other cruises when desired.

What if you canceled with less than six months and lost part of your C&A discount? That's like complaining about buying a coat at Macy's at a discount then returning it for a full refund then complaining you lost your discount. You are out nothing!

What if you booked in advance to get a specific aft cabin? I am very picky about cabin locations so I usually book 1 to 2 years in advance, but I would not care about losing the cabin on a cruise I wouldn't enjoy.

What if you actually believed the menus posted would be on the ship? Seriously, you couldn't find anything else to eat?

What if you believed the dinner reservations process would take only 15 minutes? I booked 12 nights of reservations for 4 people on the Quantum in less than 15 minutes. Even if it took 30 minutes it would not ruin my vacation or cause me to cancel.

If you really want to worry about What If's... try these:

1) What if you didn't have enough money to go on any cruises?

2) What if your health or your spouses health did not allow you the mobility to go on any cruises?

Now those are relevant reasons vs not being able to eating in a MDR.

And by the way it doesn't matter to me if you are "Speechless" or not! But if you were truly speechless you wouldn't have written such a long reply :)

As eroller mentioned also, I thought it was great seeing all the little problems that arose! More fun for me watching technicians trying to fix bionic bar than watching it work properly!

Hilarious seeing the north star get stuck (and those that got stuck also enjoyed!), all these things I expected and most of them added to the sense of adventure on this new ship, made all the better by the great staff who fearlessly tried their best to cope while still smiling (even in the face of some rude and obnoxious passengers).

One of my cherished memories on this great ship, and appreciated the acknowledgment by Royal in the form of $300.

Great staff, great ship, great fun! How much more fun all the teething problems made it, and thrilled to have been part of it.

Great food, great cabin staff, great barmen in the music hall!

This is what I like to see, someone making the best of a situation! We are booked on Anthem on it's first cruise and the more I read reviews of Quantum the more I was dreading it but it's refreshing to see someone accepting the teething problems and getting on with it.

Based on current reviews, I have been vindicated and I feel that this ship is going to have a similar fate, as the NCL Epic!

Seems to me that it makes you way too happy when people give the ship a bad review. Why is that?

A more objective point of view would classify the reviews as polarizing or mixed but that wouldn't suit you agenda (whatever it is) Some very bad and a larger proportion (if you count by poster rather than the amount of posts from the traditionalists who don't like stuff "because" it's not like it used to be or I didn't get a silver seal on my inaugural certificate, who are almost death riding the ship)

As most of the things that people have complained about don't faze me and most of the things that good reviews have praised are the reasons I booked this ship I am even more looking forward to my trip.

Edited by woodyren

Based on current reviews, I have been vindicated and I feel that this ship is going to have a similar fate, as the NCL Epic!

I hope so, but the Quantum has a little ways to go to reach the 70% "Love It" rating of the Epic, but I am sure it will get there or even surpass it once the bugs are worked out. I am waiting for next April to go with the hope the technical problems are worked out.

We are sailing in February and I am looking forward to having different venues for dining. I think of it as having dinner out at a different restaurant everyday. I do not want Italian everyday or Chinese or for that matter same old, same old. I loved having the waiter knowing my drink, asking about my family showing interest in how my day went ect.... but in reality it doesn't make or break my cruise. If the Bionic Bar isn't working I really don't care. If it takes me 40 minutes to get on the ship that's alright too. People who work on the ship are just like you and I.. Sometimes they have bad days so if they are a little short with you or not a charming as you would like, why not ask them how they are doing.. We have meet amazing workers on each ship we have sailed (entire families on one ship). Every ship we have been on has had faults, usually we have been compensated for things that haven't worked or things that have inconvenienced us and not because we have asked or complained just because the cruise line has noticed things were not up to par.

Instead of looking at the glass being half empty try to look at it as half full...I know this cruise is very expensive, I am going with a very open mind because I know everything on my cruise will not be terrible or perfect but it is what you make it.......Its not the same its different and technology is going to be a part of everyone lives we are not going back to the way things used to be so try to embrace it..

Well, those in the First World, are the ones whom can afford to cruise.

As of Today, the Member Reviews are 37% approval rating out of 69 reviews.

Thus, Quantum keeps falling!!!

You do realize that statistics show that a person is more likely to post a negative review than positive, right?

Peoples mentality is..."I had a great time!" and don't know what cruise critic is....or "I had a crap time, let me complain to get sympathy"...Google and find cruise critic to post a "terrible time".

You do realize that statistics show that a person is more likely to post a negative review than positive, right?

Peoples mentality is..."I had a great time!" and don't know what cruise critic is....or "I had a crap time, let me complain to get sympathy"...Google and find cruise critic to post a "terrible time".

Right. For that reason I've always felt those numbers were more useful as a comparative tool -- i.e., after Quantum's completed her entire first season (to increase the sample size), lets see how her numbers stack up against NCL Breakaway. That'd be far more interesting to me than the mere % in isolation. Of course, she's leaving immediately after her first season... but it'll be an interesting academic exercise nevertheless.