Sailing out of Galveston Feb. 28. Is fog likely?

Grits53

I know that it's impossible to predict fog this far out, but I am wondering if it is more likely at that time of year? (I don't normally cruise during the winter but couldn't pass up this 5 day on the Magic.) Not that fog makes any difference to my husband and me, but we are taking two children with us this time. I need to know if I should prepare their parents for a "likely" fog delay... You know how non-cruising parents tend to panic about things like that. :rolleyes: Thanks.

There is no way to predict the likelihood of any particular weather event weeks and months in advance. But I can say that I've experienced dense fog on Galveston Island in January and February throughout the past 20 years I've spent time there. Cooler air temperatures combined with the water temperatures leads to foggy conditions during those months sometimes. Cruise ships have been delayed coming into and leaving Galveston before.

I wouldn't worry about it very much because there is no way to plan on it. If you're delayed boarding because the ship cannot dock then you'll have to make some plans to pass the time until boarding can occur. Or you could be onboard and not able to leave for awhile, which won't affect things very much at all.

There is no way to predict the likelihood of any particular weather event weeks and months in advance. But I can say that I've experienced dense fog on Galveston Island in January and February throughout the past 20 years I've spent time there. Cooler air temperatures combined with the water temperatures leads to foggy conditions during those months sometimes. Cruise ships have been delayed coming into and leaving Galveston before.

I wouldn't worry about it very much because there is no way to plan on it. If you're delayed boarding because the ship cannot dock then you'll have to make some plans to pass the time until boarding can occur. Or you could be onboard and not able to leave for awhile, which won't affect things very much at all.

Thanks, Jeff. The part that would worry the parents is if our arrival back in Galveston was delayed. Hopefully, in that event, we could use our cell phones to call them.

... Hopefully, in that event, we could use our cell phones to call them.
...we've been fogged out--waiting out in the channel until the port is re-opened--and the captain authorized the free use of cabin phones so we could make alternate travel plans upon arrival. The next cruisers had been waiting just as long to start embarkation.

I'm traveling on the repo cruise on the Freedom from FLL to Galveston. I wouldn't mind being delayed getting into port. More vacation time for me! Although I would feel bad for those getting on the ship being delayed.

Would you mind if you missed your flight?

If driving you will be fine If flying ??????????????

I think lovestocruise19 would be flying into Houston. New Hampshire to Galveston is a long drive, both directions. Of course, it is entirely possible, but I'm going to still assume lovestocruise19 would mind if she missed a flight. Plus, if driving, if lovestocruise19 booked at a lower cost nonrefundable rate, she still may be stuck out of pocket and paying for a new hotel room in addition because of a trip interruption.

Edited by Baymax

We are looking at booking the Freedom out of Galveston Feb 28th.

Since we are going to drive down this time (our son is moving to Houston so we are towing down a trailer with his stuff a few days prior), a slight delay embarkation day wouldn't be bad. BUT we have to drive 15 hours back afterwards so would hate to have the debarkation delayed too much.

If the ship is in, why don't they let you go ahead and get ONBOARD? I don't want to sit outside in the sun for hours waiting. Surely they will let everyone go ahead and get settled in. Right????

There is a very good chance you'll have fog. No way to predict as you noted, even a couple of days before you never really know. I was on the Triumph last year in February and ended up waiting in line for the port to open for 6+ hours. It wasn't bad though, they opened everything back up and it was almost like half a sea day for free.

Then again I drove to port and had plenty of time set aside in case there were any problems.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

We sailed Feb 16th and were delayed coming back into port by fog. It was noon before we left the ship. We were also delayed boarding but that delay was caused by a medical emergency that diverted the ship . We were really glad we had FTTF for that one !

We'll be sailing from Galveston on Feb 9 - I hope there's no issues with fog for boarding, but we're aware there might be.

Same with debarking a few weeks later back in Galveston - we purposely booked our flight home for 7:30 that night in case there is lots of fog and we are delayed in getting off the ship and to the airport. If there's no fog, then we plan to leave the ship as late as we possibly can. :p:D

Celine

I think lovestocruise19 would be flying into Houston. New Hampshire to Galveston is a long drive, both directions. Of course, it is entirely possible, but I'm going to still assume lovestocruise19 would mind if she missed a flight. Plus, if driving, if lovestocruise19 booked at a lower cost nonrefundable rate, she still may be stuck out of pocket and paying for a new hotel room in addition because of a trip interruption.

I was commenting to the OP from Louisiana