Suggestion to RCI (and I have not even sailed yet)

This November will be my first time on RCI (specifically Liberty). A suggestion to RCI: Open at least on deck of the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day.

Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet. It was especially good for us, since we were travelling with my 83 yo. parents, and the hustle and busy of embarkation buffet would be alot to deal with. I am guessing it would also be great for families with kids, alot easier to manage kids and carry ons if you can sit and have a meal at the MDR. I realize that there are staffing issues on embarkation day, but other lines seem to manage well.

So, if RCI reads this, I think you should look into opening the MDR for lunch on embarkation day.

(Okay, maybe once I actually sail RCI, and yes we are taking my now 84 yo parents, I may be proven wrong, and hope so.)

It would be nice to start the cruise with a sit down lunch - especially those who traveled the day of embarkation, but the logistics of finding places for your carryon luggage at a dining table will not work. There is just no space around the tables for all that stuff.

We were on the Oasis. They mentioned another area for lunch - but we found the Windjammer wasn't all that crowded. Plus, they opened the Japanese restaurant so you could use the tables for a Windjammer lunch. They had waiters to get you drinks.

I don't know how bad it would've gotten after 1:00 but by that time, we were already in our cabin.

I have actually developed an affinity for having lunch somewhere before boarding and avoiding all the hassle and crowds. I know I'll have a whole week to enjoy the ship, so I'm no longer in a hurry to get on board right away.

I much prefer to have a nice meal landside. Then, by the time I board, the cabins are ready and I can relax!

I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.

Actually, that only applies to part of the staff as the rest are in the Windjammer and others are delivering luggage. They really don't get a day off. A few hours sometimes in a port if it doesn't interfere with their schedule or sleep time.

delete.

It has to fit through the xray scanners when you first enter the terminal. They have no other way to xray/scan carryons. I have never seen anything larger than a small airline size carryon or garment bag.

Um, okay, you deleted your question while I was answering.

Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet.

Why not eat in one of the other spots on board instead then? Cafe Promenade, Sorentos, etc. Not sure of Portifinos is open for lunch or not but that could be another option if it is.

If you are on Oasis class, Giordanno's is open for a nicer lunch ($15 I believe). We just had our 83 yo parents with us on Oasis and we did the Park cafe, got them a nice place to sit in Central Park - worked out well! Enjoy!!

It has to fit through the xray scanners when you first enter the terminal. They have no other way to xray/scan carryons. I have never seen anything larger than a small airline size carryon or garment bag.

Um, okay, you deleted your question while I was answering.

Thanks BND! I accidentally posted as a reply here, but meant it to be a new thread as it was unrelated. Sorry!:o

I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.

No, they do not have it off. They are helping clean the ship, prepare the galley, setup the MDR for a new cruise, load provisions, etc.

This November will be my first time on RCI (specifically Liberty). A suggestion to RCI: Open at least on deck of the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day.

Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet. It was especially good for us, since we were travelling with my 83 yo. parents, and the hustle and busy of embarkation buffet would be alot to deal with. I am guessing it would also be great for families with kids, alot easier to manage kids and carry ons if you can sit and have a meal at the MDR. I realize that there are staffing issues on embarkation day, but other lines seem to manage well.

So, if RCI reads this, I think you should look into opening the MDR for lunch on embarkation day.

(Okay, maybe once I actually sail RCI, and yes we are taking my now 84 yo parents, I may be proven wrong, and hope so.)

Good God no. As someone that worked onboard (albeit as loyalty) I can attest that turn days (embarkation days) are the single busiest days for the crew. Please do not suggest to add to their duties.

Other lines manage it by overworking their staff. I have a friend on NCL right now and she get two 10 minute meal breaks on embark days. She works dining. She has to eat in the galley.

While I keep reading on CC how bad the WJ is on embarkation day for lunch, I´ve never had a problem having lunch on embarkation day in the WJ, be it alone, with my 75 yo mother or in a group.

I do understand some people just don´t like buffets and prefer to be served, but I really can´t relate to problems on embarkation day.

I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase with no problems. And I have seen even larger suitcases than mine carried on.

It's the height and width that matters more than the length.

That being said-lunch in the MDR on embarkation day would be a zoo with all of the carry on luggage.

I agree. I mean, it would be really nice for there to be another lunch option instead of just Windjammer, but we have to consider the crew, too! They are a lot of what makes our cruise great! Besides, if you are on Voyager class and up, there are a few other options.

I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase with no problems. And I have seen even larger suitcases than mine carried on.

It's the height and width that matters more than the length.

That being said-lunch in the MDR on embarkation day would be a zoo with all of the carry on luggage.

Two weeks ago security at port canaveral stopped several people at the door, telling them their luggage had to be checked. First time I've ever seen that!

Sherri

If you are on Oasis class, Giordanno's is open for a nicer lunch ($15 I believe). We just had our 83 yo parents with us on Oasis and we did the Park cafe, got them a nice place to sit in Central Park - worked out well! Enjoy!!

This is a really great idea on a ship with specialty dining. It was the best (and only) $30 bucks we spent on specialty dining all week. Not only did we get to sit and relax, but after having such a big meal midday, we skipped dinner and avoided the first night crazies in the MDR. We went to the empty WJ for something lighter later in the evening.

Two weeks ago security at port canaveral stopped several people at the door, telling them their luggage had to be checked. First time I've ever seen that!

Sherri

I guess different ports do things differently. I would be upset being told that I had to check a suitcase that I have carried on lots of times! I would have had to unpack it right there and take out meds and valuables that I absolutely would not check. What a mess that would be.

If I ever sail out of PC I'll try to remember this.

I agree. I mean, it would be really nice for there to be another lunch option instead of just Windjammer, but we have to consider the crew, too! They are a lot of what makes our cruise great! Besides, if you are on Voyager class and up, there are a few other options.

OP is on the Liberty - he DOES have other options as previously suggested, Promenade Cafe, Sorrentos. I got Sorrentos pizza and sandwiches and took them to my elderly parents in the cabin because they were pooped from a lengthy, cold embarkation..

Archived