5-4-3-2-1 Packing Method

TentOnWheels

How awesome! What a simple way to pack.

I've been thinking of getting some packing cubes. Does anyone have experience traveling with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not used the cubes but I use packing folders. I use the medium ones and can fit about 12 shirts in them. I am packing now for a cruise and I put 10 shirts and two dresses in one. I used one for my DH's shirts. Then I put them on the bottom of the suit case. It makes a hard flat bottom to lay other things on. Less shifting.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-garment-folder-medium/d/1325_cl_-1

I have used a cube or two on shorter trips when clothes were going in the same bag as computer and such, and I used to use the medium folder when packing for my husband for weekends away... as he "matured", the packing board was not quite big enough for his shirts!

I've moved away from the cubes and folders -- I still fold the way it's depicted on the packing board, just without the board, then I lay them in the suitcase with edges aligned and can peek down the sides to see (by color) what I want and slip it out. This is most useful on land-based trips where you're in a different place every day or two!

But cubes and/or folders certainly work for many CC'ers. I bought some 1- and 2-gallon ziploc bags to corral smalls and knits for the upcoming cruise, though! Ziploc is also making 3-gal and 5-gal bags now, called "Big Bags" I think. Just haven't found a place to get the threes in person.

Surrealistic, Geocruiser and Crystalspin -- thanks for the info and tips on the packing cubes. My family leaves in about 20 days for a cruise and I think these will make packing/unpacking so much easier.

Surrealistic, Geocruiser and Crystalspin -- thanks for the info and tips on the packing cubes. My family leaves in about 20 days for a cruise and I think these will make packing/unpacking so much easier.

I use two medium packing folder. One for me and one for DH. The inside of our suit cases are not flat due to the handles, so I put underclothes there to try to make it flat. Then after the folders are filled, I place both of them (side by side ) on the bottom of my suit case. It creates a hard flat base. Then I pack our pants on top of them etc. The pants then stay smoother.

How awesome! What a simple way to pack.

I've been thinking of getting some packing cubes. Does anyone have experience traveling with them?

Why on earth would any one want to add weight to carry-on which is all they do as far as I'm concerned. They make money for the folks that sell them!:eek:

Why on earth would any one want to add weight to carry-on which is all they do as far as I'm concerned. They make money for the folks that sell them!:eek:

My packing cubes from eBags and Eagle Creek (the Specter line) are practically weightless. If I ever have the need to reduce my bag's weight by a couple of ounces (read=never), I'd take them out.

I don't have a problem with people making money, either. Everyone needs money to cruise, right? ;)

I use Eagle Creek and they weigh very little. What brand did you use that weighed too much? I know that other companies make them too. Just like suit cases, some weigh more than others.

I use Eagle Creek and they weigh very little. What brand did you use that weighed too much? I know that other companies make them too. Just like suit cases, some weigh more than others.

Just ordered the Eagle Creek specter 'starter set' - I believe they are the very light ones? While I prefer my accessories in PINK - i decided to get the white ones so it would be easier to see what's inside? (and even hubby could use them if required :) )

Just ordered the Eagle Creek specter 'starter set' - I believe they are the very light ones? While I prefer my accessories in PINK - i decided to get the white ones so it would be easier to see what's inside? (and even hubby could use them if required :) )

I really love the folders. Everything stays nice and neat. I can fit about 12 shirts in one. This time I even put in dresses. I have not use their other products yet, but are thing of getting some.

I hope that you enjoy your new set.

I really love the folders. Everything stays nice and neat. I can fit about 12 shirts in one. This time I even put in dresses. I have not use their other products yet, but are thing of getting some.

I hope that you enjoy your new set.

Wow - that was fast - just got my 'order' - specter bags/folder seem bigger than I expected and so glad I got the white as it is somewhat transparent and will make it easier to see what's inside..

And I also got a couple of other cool things:

1) these 'shoes' - look perfect for travel - esp on the long overnight plane rides - when I take off my runners and need to 'relax' - but can still have something on my feet to walk around or use washroom...(and the reviews are very good): http://www.jet-setter.ca/en/mary-jane-womens-footwear.html ( I think these would also be great in hotel rooms and cabins!)

2) ..and these are the cutest ever - got a few packs of 'toothpaste impregnated' tiny toothbrushes - very handy for use on the plane or in airport washrooms between long flights!! http://www.jet-setter.ca/en/scope-outlast-mini-toothbrush-2-pack.html

If I really like the cubes I may need to 'expand' my collection LOLOL:p

Edited by Froufie

Wow - that was fast - just got my 'order' - specter bags/folder seem bigger than I expected and so glad I got the white as it is somewhat transparent and will make it easier to see what's inside..

And I also got a couple of other cool things:

1) these 'shoes' - look perfect for travel - esp on the long overnight plane rides - when I take off my runners and need to 'relax' - but can still have something on my feet to walk around or use washroom...(and the reviews are very good): http://www.jet-setter.ca/en/mary-jane-womens-footwear.html ( I think these would also be great in hotel rooms and cabins!)

2) ..and these are the cutest ever - got a few packs of 'toothpaste impregnated' tiny toothbrushes - very handy for use on the plane or in airport washrooms between long flights!! http://www.jet-setter.ca/en/scope-outlast-mini-toothbrush-2-pack.html

If I really like the cubes I may need to 'expand' my collection LOLOL:p

What size folder is it? I like the tooh brushes and the travel shoes. Great to use in the cabin.

What size folder is it? I like the tooh brushes and the travel shoes. Great to use in the cabin.

Here is the description - it is the Specter starter set - which is one folder and 2 different size cubes:

DESCRIPTION:

Relax and enjoy your trip with these ultra-light translucent packing organizers. The Pack-It™ Specter Starter Set will help you organize and compress the contents of your travel bag. Finally, everything you need is right where you want it.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

Holds 8-12 shirts and pants (folder), 10.5 L (cube), 5 L (half cube)

Pack-It™ Specter Garment Folder

Medium Pack-It™ Specter Cube

Pack-It™ Specter Half Cube

30D Silnylon Ripstop

SPECIFICATIONS:

Item #: 41194

18 x 12 in, .55 lbs (folder), 14 x 10 x 3 in, .6 lbs (cube), 10 x 7 x 3 in, .4 lbs (half cube)

Edited by Froufie

Here is the description - it is the Specter starter set - which is one folder and 2 different size cubes:

DESCRIPTION:

Relax and enjoy your trip with these ultra-light translucent packing organizers. The Pack-It™ Specter Starter Set will help you organize and compress the contents of your travel bag. Finally, everything you need is right where you want it.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

Holds 8-12 shirts and pants (folder), 10.5 L (cube), 5 L (half cube)

Pack-It™ Specter Garment Folder

Medium Pack-It™ Specter Cube

Pack-It™ Specter Half Cube

30D Silnylon Ripstop

SPECIFICATIONS:

Item #: 41194

18 x 12 in, .55 lbs (folder), 14 x 10 x 3 in, .6 lbs (cube), 10 x 7 x 3 in, .4 lbs (half cube)

The packing folder is the same size as the ones that I brought. You will love it.

The packing folder is the same size as the ones that I brought. You will love it.

Thanks - can't wait to try it out - and may get another for dh if it works out well - I think he would also find it useful!:)