First time gay traveller, few questions

riktorscale

I am looking at going on my first cruise in June/July . I am a bit shy with strangers, hail from west australia, 45yo gay guy. Planning to spend time in Barcelona around the cruise time.

Was looking at gay groups but as I'm unable to book until my passport arrives in 2 weeks, it looks like the single rooms are all gone. Unless I pay a fortune.

Was looking at Norwegian line or celebrity, as they seem the most gay friendly. My concern is to spend the money only to be socially isolated and alone. Just how easy is it to make friends onboard? Internet chat is great on land but on a ship?

Am looking at a 7 day Mediterranean cruise at this point. Any hints or advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly my point, hence the question . How sociable are the single gays in the Norwegian epic in the Mediterranean in June? Look like the 7 day cruise for me

Do I prepare to be left to amuse myself or drop all my plans to follow my hundreds of new friends plans?

Check out Meet Me on Board web page to get an idea of all the options.

They rate the cruises as either all gay charter, group cruise etc.

Going with "family" has always been more fun for us but we have made life long friends on "straight" cruises as well.:D

I took my first cruise 41 years ago this month. I was single, had just come out and decided I wanted to see the Caribbean. I was terrified about the cruise itself. Would I fit in? Would I meet any gay guys? Would I have fun?

That cruise turned out to be the first of many more. I met so many people and each and every one of them were sweet, kind and loads of fun to be with. I even met an officer on the ship who I invited to visit me in California. He did, 6 months later and we had a grand time together during the 6 weeks shore leave. We're still friends.

Are you going to have a good time? More than likely, yes. Be open to meeting new people, gay and straight and just know you will come away from the experience of a cruise a better person.

Good Luck with what ever decision you make. My partner and I have cruised many times now and have always found Celebrity to be gay friendly. If you do their cruise look for a posting at the front desk for the LBGT meeting. it will not be listed in the daily bulletin. We have met many PLU (people like us) this way on board and in fact are taking out next cruise in May when we will be visiting two other gents before the cruise, sailing with them on the cruise and them leaving the ship to go and visit another apir at the end of the cruise before heading back home. The only thing I can't help you with the the fac that you are single and I can't speak to that, sorry.

Well it's all happening. Fly into Barcelona on the 11/06/2015. Norwegian epic cruise 14-21 June. Back to Barcelona until the 30th of June. Still a little stunned that I have done it but also very excited. Put up a roll call already, better start resting now going to be awake for all of June I think

Oh another thing lol. My ticket on the cruise includes gratuities. So I don't tip? Or really I do? I'm from Australia where tipping is uncommon . How often should I tip, how much, who am I tipping?

Oh another thing lol. My ticket on the cruise includes gratuities. So I don't tip? Or really I do? I'm from Australia where tipping is uncommon . How often should I tip, how much, who am I tipping?

If gratuities are included then you don't have to tip additionally. Some people will give a bit extra for crew that went above and beyond to make it a good cruise. Your beverages purchases should also include gratuities charged every time you buy one.

Be sure and tip the person who collects your bags at the port to be placed on the ship. I tip about $2.50 USD per bag. So $5.00 for two bags and $10.00 for four. I usually try and give the steward a little extra our buy a gift in port, such as a card to call home, etc...

I am looking at going on my first cruise in June/July . I am a bit shy with strangers, hail from west australia, 45yo gay guy. Planning to spend time in Barcelona around the cruise time.

Was looking at gay groups but as I'm unable to book until my passport arrives in 2 weeks, it looks like the single rooms are all gone. Unless I pay a fortune.

Was looking at Norwegian line or celebrity, as they seem the most gay friendly. My concern is to spend the money only to be socially isolated and alone. Just how easy is it to make friends onboard? Internet chat is great on land but on a ship?

1. Always make sure your leather on your shoes & pocketbook match.

2. Bangers & mash is not a date w/ the Chief Engineer.

3. "Captain oh Captain" is interchangeable as an ode to the Captain & something you might hear being screamed late at nite near the bridge.

4. Pool games usually require a bathing suit - one or two piece is at your discretion.

5 If your steward/stewards are good, tip well...if they are great, get their home telephone # and book a day room at your next port of call!

Enjoy Dahling!

First, I also am a rather shy gay man of similar age and have cruised solo several time. In all honesty, in my experience, whether you meet people (gay or otherwise) that you will spend any significant amount of time with will probably mostly depend on you. You will need to let it be known that you are interested in making friends. You can attend a LGBT (Friends of Dorothy) meeting if the ship has one (they usually do). But just attending that will not guarantee you social interaction. You will need to work at being engaging and conversational. Otherwise, you may find that others don't go out of their way to pull you into the conversation. Some might. But some won't. If you go on the cruise and stick to yourself and don't strike up conversation on your own, there is good chance that no one will strike conversation with you. Most of the people on a cruise are traveling with others and may not stop to think that they should say hello to a person who is traveling alone.

As I said, I'm a rather shy person. I've taken about 4 or 5 cruises solo. When I make no effort to engage with others, I usually have ended up mostly entertaining myself. And I'm quite happy doing that. I cruise for the itinerary and relaxation, not for social activity. However, a few times, I've attended the LGBT gatherings and have struck up lightly social interactions with people. But in my case, I really don't have an interest in joining strangers at meals or on excursions simply because I met them on the ship. That's just not me.

Go into it with an open mind. Be outgoing if you can. But also, be prepared to be happy even if nothing comes of it socially. There's nothing wrong with solo cruising.

Agreed with everybody on here!

You're in control of your destiny, here. On my last cruise, I was a very shy and unsure 14 year old boy questioning my orientation, but still VERY much in the closet. I managed to make two friends while on board. I can only imagine the friends I will make today now that I have the confidence and social skills that I didn't back then.

I recommend to step out of your comfort zone. Play the games. Participate in the contest. Do the tours. Make conversations in the buffet line and poolside. You're stuck with these people for days, get to know them! Put yourself out there in various situations and you're bound to meet many great people who could easily turn into lifelong relationships!

And if you don't make a lifelong friend, I bet you'll still have a blast and meet great people. Happy is what you make it to be :)

Best wishes!

Ahhh! The great tipping question! The "auto" gratuity is to cover those you see as well as those you don't(such as the staff prepping your meals. We're in the food service business, so we do have a "service" charge. It really isn't a tip. This is what's used to pay a tolerable wage to the employees that work behind the scenes. Food service pay in the US is pretty low(below the standard minimum wage)The service charge helps bring that up to a better scale. Our dishwashers, for example earn over $12/hr.There are those who pocket the service charge. There's a special place reserved in hell for those folks. But I digress. We in the US tend to tip more than most places. In many parts of Europe it's built in whether you get good service or not. I'd tip above the auto if service was very good. We always have tipped extra as we've always had excellent service. Pretty much up to your choice.

We have travelled on the Epic twice (gay female couple) and made friends easily. Every day on the ships bulletin there was a Friends of Dorothy meeting in different places on the ship. Go to the first one and get chatting to people!

Look in the daily planner or on the bulletin board for the daily LGBT get togethers. Some lines put them on the regular schedule, others (like Royal) have a bulletin board where they are posted, and you can always add your own meeting...just fill out the card and put it on the board.

We've always found friendly people aboard to hang out with...gay and straight.

We are in the same situation when we did our first cruise. Easy to meet new people onboard as it is more of a controlled environment. Most people are there to have fun and have a great holiday. Always wear your smile and join some of the activities. We made some new good friends gay and straight. And till now we are still in touch with them online. We are also planning of visiting them in their own countries someday. Just be friendly and say hi to people you sit beside with or even on the lift. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
If gratuities are included then you don't have to tip additionally. Some people will give a bit extra for crew that went above and beyond to make it a good cruise. Your beverages purchases should also include gratuities charged every time you buy one.

Since this is your first cruise original poster (OP), you may want to carefully watch your beverage bill closely. It tends to add up if you enjoy your beer or wine or like to have a cocktail or two. If you really like to 'throw them back' so to speak, you may want to invest in an unlimited beverage package. NCL offers three, a soda package, a beer and wine package, and their ultimate drink package that covers everything up to $11 a glass. Check out the NCL boards and search beverage package.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am taking an NCL cruise later this year and learned from posts that there is a nightly meeting in the Studio Lounge for passengers traveling solo, even if you are not in a Studio cabin (for singles). You should consider going to one of those meetings, as well as the GLBT meetings, as a way to meet someone.

I always cruise solo and have been on cruises where I met people and ones in which I didn't and both have been fun, though the former are usually a little more enjoyable. It helps to be a little outgoing, but really it's just being friendly--you don't need to be an extroverted life-of-the-party type to meet people.

Well it's all happening. Fly into Barcelona on the 11/06/2015. Norwegian epic cruise 14-21 June. Back to Barcelona until the 30th of June. Still a little stunned that I have done it but also very excited. Put up a roll call already, better start resting now going to be awake for all of June I think

Congratulations on your choice. I've sailed Epic as a solo, and I will be back aboard in October for a Southampton to Barcelona sailing. Norwegian is a good line when it comes to promoting LGBT gatherings, as they're typically called.

Here are a couple Epic-specific tips: you might want to consider the Ultimate Dining Package. This lets you eat in specialty restaurants every night of the cruise at a discounted rate. The advantage is better food and service in restaurants that seat around 100 people at 2-top and 4-top tables. As a single it's nice not to be the guy sitting alone in a dining room full of 600 people. Also, hang out at Spice H2O on your sea days. That's an adults-only "Ibiza-inspired beach club" Deck 15 aft. It has a small pool, two hot tubs, a bar and grill, and terraced seating. A great place to people watch with a more adult vibe. Oh, and pack an all-white outfit for the White Hot Party.

Let us know how you do on your cruise. :)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser