Grandeur of the Seas - need a review

By any chance did you go to high school in Brooklyn ? A guy who graduated in my year was named John Reid .I did not know him but I remember the name.

No, elementary school at St. Lucy's in Manhattan and then New Hyde Park Memorial.

Though John is my first name, Reid is not my last name. It is the unused name of a fictional character who goes by something more familiar!

my understanding (I sail next month) was Park Café had fruit in the AM, chips, sandwiches, cookies during the day, Café Lattitudes had free pastries/cookies.(you just pay for specialty coffee) The buffet is open something like 7 AM till 10 PM maybe?. Room Service is free till midnight.

Yes you pay for Ben and Jerrys ice cream And I think maybe movie popcorn but aren't there plenty alternatives?

my understanding (I sail next month) was Park Café had fruit in the AM, chips, sandwiches, cookies during the day, Café Lattitudes had free pastries/cookies.(you just pay for specialty coffee) The buffet is open something like 7 AM till 10 PM maybe?. Room Service is free till midnight.

Yes you pay for Ben and Jerrys ice cream And I think maybe movie popcorn but aren't there plenty alternatives?

Park Cafe has more than just fruit. There are breakfast items too. Breakfast sandwiches and a few other things. Lunch time they have sandwiches, chips, salads and cookies. The buffet is not open all day long. It shuts between breakfast and lunch, and then between lunch and dinner. They also have late night snacks such as nachos, cookies. There are pictures of the menus posted in a couple of threads on here.

Edited by BND

No, elementary school at St. Lucy's in Manhattan and then New Hyde Park Memorial.

Though John is my first name, Reid is not my last name. It is the unused name of a fictional character who goes by something more familiar!

e

My favorite literary character is don Quixote de la Mancha .I "borrowed" part of the name.

Park Cafe has more than just fruit. There are breakfast items too. Breakfast sandwiches and a few other things. Lunch time they have sandwiches, chips, salads and cookies. The buffet is not open all day long. It shuts between breakfast and lunch, and then between lunch and dinner. They also have late night snacks such as nachos, cookies. There are pictures of the menus posted in a couple of threads on here.

How late is the lunch buffet open in WJ on embarkation day and is Park Café also open?

We sailed her in July to Bermuda. We were not at all impressed. We had two interior rooms so we could be beside our teenage children. When we first got to our room, I thought the carpet was damp. By the time I got up the next morning our carpet was sopping wet. They tried to dry it with a fan. By late that night they decided it was the "Ice Machine" on the other side of the wall. By that time it smelled like the worst wet dog I have ever encountered. After much deliberation, we were moved to a different floor on the other end of the ship (completely away from our kids) This room did not have adequate air conditioning. We were given a 20% off deal for our next cruise. When I complained to the Diamond Concierge, she basically told me to get happy that that was a tremendous compensation. The ship had air conditioning issues throughout. I cannot remember being on a cruise where I sweat more! Our overall impression was that the ship was dated, old and less than clean. Had this been our first Royal cruise, it would have been our last.

How late is the lunch buffet open in WJ on embarkation day and is Park Café also open?

Yes, Park Cafe is open on embarkation day. We ate there our last cruise on GR and will be again in 10 days on embarkation. WJ is crazy busy unless you board early and go immediately there and grab a table. We have also waited until cabins are ready because the WJ empties out and seats are available. Honestly, Park Cafe is fine and I usually have a sandwich which is more than adequate for lunch. As for WJ, it closes up when they're preparing for muster which is usually around 3:30 so if you don't get in there before 3, there's no point.

We were on the Anthem last January, loved the ship but food and dining were bad, thinking of trying Grandeur out of Baltimore.

Questions? Is there Zumba or Latin dance classes?

Was food and service above average?

Are there a few different bands, and dance venues, any theme parties Quest, white hot party, etc?

How was Diamond Lounge?

Thanks for any info, impressed with Seadogs knowledge of ship, a little jealous.

We were on the Anthem last January, loved the ship but food and dining were bad, thinking of trying Grandeur out of Baltimore.

Questions? Is there Zumba or Latin dance classes?

Was food and service above average?

Are there a few different bands, and dance venues, any theme parties Quest, white hot party, etc?

How was Diamond Lounge?

Thanks for any info, impressed with Seadogs knowledge of ship, a little jealous.

They do Zumba out on the pool deck in the morning, around 9 am. Latin dance classes I'm not sure, but I think they do those in the Centrum. We've always found the food and service to be great on GR due to the size of the ship. There are a couple of venues for dancing-Centrum and VCL both have dance music. As for theme parties, 70's and White Party. DL can be crowded and almost always spills out into the Pacific Lounge. They usually keep an area roped off during happy hour and also have the same appetizers out on a table. We've met and seen the same people in the DL on the last couple of trips. There are regulars who are on her several times a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have any pics from the shop when I was on it in may don't ask me why I've done 2 cruises one on freedom and the second on graniduer. The ship is old but I liked it it doesn't have the bells and whistles or the newer ship inwas on the Canada and New England cruise so it was a busy itenery so it didn't bother me but if I had a lot of sea days I would find it boring. The crew were lovely and the room was ok I had an ocean view on deck 3 it was quite the bathroom was ok but the shower annoyed me the curtain kept sticking to my legs . If asked would I sail on her again if I had a busy itenery and only 2 sea days yes if the itenery involved a lot of sea days then no . I like to activity freedom had an ice show during the sea days and better films on sea days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know of any photo options or packages on this ship? We are thinking of a first cruise on RCL and looking at different options and reviews. We are always in to photos.

All RCI ships have photo packages. They may vary slightly and are usually pricey.

What things are scheduled to be done at the 2017 dry dock? General freshening up? Hopefully Voom improvements...

We will be on Grandeur for a short Bermuda cruise in May, but are considering another NE/Canada for fall, 2018.

At the Captain's Corner yesterday this question was asked. There will definitely be some exterior painting/refurb including fixing the cracks on Deck 10. Also, thrusters, etc will be worked on as they can't be while the ship is in the water, the way they need to be so while they're in Freeport, it'll be in drydock. As for inside, there will be no new venues added, but beyond that they are waiting to hear back from Miami about costs and what the plans are for the ship refurb. They should be hearing in the next couple of weeks. They're sure carpeting and other upholstery items will be done, but that's about all they think they know right now. It's entirely up to the team from Miami that inspected the ship and took the info back for decisions to be made.

VOOM is what it is and unlike new ships which are wired as they are built, there is only so much they can do with a already built ship that was wired 20 years ago.

Edited by BND