Personal Grooming device- Azamara definition?

Leo_On_Geo

Hi,

I have emailed Azamara with this question two weeks ago and I am still awaiting a reply. The guest relations phone operator said wait 15 business days for a reply, but since I embark in one week, I want to see if I can get a proper answer before I have to depart.

I see on the web site (link below) the list of prohibited items include sharp objects, including knives and scissors but with the qualification of personal grooming devices (safety razors and scissors with blades less than four inches).

I understand that in 2013 the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and all US airline updated and revised their security policies to allow passengers to carry scissors with blades less than four inches and small knives with non-locking blades smaller than 2.36 inches and less than 1/2 inch in width in carry on luggage. So I understand the Azamara revision (and RCCL) for allowing the four-inch scissor blades, but what about a small pocketknife with a blade half that size? My personal grooming device is a small Swiss army knife with scissors, tweezers and a small (allowable by TSA rules) non-locking blade.

What is the policy on personal grooming pocketknives?

Will RCCL modify their policy to agree with the TSA?

Do I pack the four-inch scissors and a tweezers, or my small pocketknife?

Thanks,

Lisa

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/after-booking/helpful-information/packing

We have always brought our Swiss Army knife on cruises. We pack it in checked luggage and have never had any issues with either Celebrity or Azamara bringing it on board.

I have also travel with mine in my checked luggage and had no problem, but RCCL policy is NO KNIVES should be carried on board, and knives can be confiscated from check luggage. The same knife that was in my checked luggage on three cruises was confiscated from my purse. Would be nice if there was a stated policy along the lines of TSA for small knives, so this is not an issue for others..

We have always brought our Swiss Army knife on cruises. We pack it in checked luggage and have never had any issues with either Celebrity or Azamara bringing it on board.

I too have brought a Swiss Army knife on board in my checked luggage. However, I also saw security confiscate another passenger's from his day pack when returning to the ship from a day ashore. He was told that it was a prohibited item.

As it seems to be a grey area, personally, I'd leave the pocketknife home, to avoid the risk of it being confiscated while travelling.

Edited by Host Andy

I've never had a problem or issue with knives in checked luggage.

(Remember that most cruise ships have steak restaurants with large sharp knives)

That said, remember that cruise line "security" staff people -like Department of Transport and TSA "security" staff- have the intelligence of cantaloupes; and all -when they're in a mean mood- are capable of confiscating almost anything.

I once saw them trying to confiscate a small child's helium balloon, claiming that it was a prohibited "compressed gas".

Bring what you need, just keep it in the checked luggage.

That said, remember that cruise line "security" staff people -like Department of Transport and TSA "security" staff- have the intelligence of cantaloupes; and all -when they're in a mean mood- are capable of confiscating almost anything.

Bring what you need, just keep it in the checked luggage.

I think your comments are very harsh on the lovely security teams on Azamara who go about their work in a charming but professional manner.

Any confiscation is done based on laid down procedures not a personal whim. If they do take something at least you get it back at the end of the cruise unlike a certain US high building who confiscated our folding travel umbrella and would not let us leave it somewhere for our return :rolleyes:

Andy is correct, leave the knives at home.

I think your comments are very harsh on the lovely security teams on Azamara who go about their work in a charming but professional manner.

Any confiscation is done based on laid down procedures not a personal whim. If they do take something at least you get it back at the end of the cruise...

Andy is correct, leave the knives at home.

Agree.

I'm always surprised at the congeniality of the security staff on Azamara as they once again deal with cruisers, like myself, who struggle to adhere to their simple rules. For example, at what point in the cruise will I remember to take off my hat upon re-entry on the ship?

I have to say, though, that, although both are memorable, so far we think Security's "Welcome Home" on the Quest is superior to that on Journey. :)

The ship not allowing a Swiss Army knife would be rather silly, yes, I know some of you said it was taken away, however, unlike planes, knives are available everywhere on a ship, in all restaurants. Even planes now serve with real knives in 1st class. Again, we have been on over 25 cruises and have never had the Swiss army knife taken away. Just our experience

The ship not allowing a Swiss Army knife would be rather silly, yes, I know some of you said it was taken away, however, unlike planes, knives are available everywhere on a ship, in all restaurants. Even planes now serve with real knives in 1st class. Again, we have been on over 25 cruises and have never had the Swiss army knife taken away. Just our experience

I totally agree knives and even fully sized-scissors abound on passengers ships. However, according to RCCL policy both items are not allowed to be carried onboard their ships by passengers. I also agree that many passengers carry them in their checked luggage (disregarding this prohibition, and breaking RCCL passenger rules on conduct). I suppose legally a passenger could be thrown off the ship for these offenses, however silly they seem.

I am only asking RCCL to revise and update their own rules to allow small swiss-army knives (allowed by the TSA) to be carried onboard their ships. So that passengers do not feel they are breaking rules to carry them.

Since April, I have written several letters and emails about this to Azamara, with no response except it is under review.

Edited by leo178

Do you take it on and off the ship through metal detectors or just leave it in the room?

Agree.

I'm always surprised at the congeniality of the security staff on Azamara as they once again deal with cruisers, like myself, who struggle to adhere to their simple rules. For example, at what point in the cruise will I remember to take off my hat upon re-entry on the ship?

I have to say, though, that, although both are memorable, so far we think Security's "Welcome Home" on the Quest is superior to that on Journey. :)

Agree Nordski,

Gemma and her colleagues are a total delight and couldn't be more helpful.

We had grooming scissors with less than 4 inch blades confiscated on the dock at Lisbon and passed to Azamara security who refused to release them until the night before disembarkation. We have always taken them before in our main luggage on many Azamara cruises and they met the current published guidelines.

Hi,

I understand that in 2013 the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and all US airline updated and revised their security policies to allow passengers to carry scissors with blades less than four inches and small knives with non-locking blades smaller than 2.36 inches and less than 1/2 inch in width in carry on luggage. So I understand the Azamara revision (and RCCL) for allowing the four-inch scissor blades, but what about a small pocketknife with a blade half that size? My personal grooming device is a small Swiss army knife with scissors, tweezers and a small (allowable by TSA rules) non-locking blade.

What is the policy on personal grooming pocketknives?

Will RCCL modify their policy to agree with the TSA?

Do I pack the four-inch scissors and a tweezers, or my small pocketknife?

Thanks,

Lisa

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/after-booking/helpful-information/packing

You've certainly raised an interesting question for those of us who like to stay within the rules, and it's difficult to see why RCCL policy should object to the item you described being brought on board in checked luggage at minimum.

Just a note of caution for those connecting in, or flying out of, Canadian airports. The item described, as I understand it, under CATSA rules could be confiscated if in your carry-on. I'm not arguing it would.

It would be a wonderful world if these regulations were universal. Then no one would be left guessing as to whether such a knife is legal, or, for that matter, whether a Kindle is a "large" electronic device.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Today I finally heard back from Azamara in regards to my email dated JULY 17th. The initial automated response stated that I should hear back regarding my question within 2 weeks. After two weeks I called and I was informed that really that meant two weeks of business days (??), so three weeks? Well today I hear back eight weeks later.

"Thank you for your correspondence regarding your Azamara Club Cruises sailing onboard the Azamara Journey. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns. Please accept our apologies for the delay in our response.

Please accept sincerest apologies for our failure to respond to your e-mail in a manner timely enough to assist you. We built a foundation on the premise of customer service excellence and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Additionally, we have noted your suggestion regarding our policy for bringing knives onboard our ships. Currently, there are no plans to make any changes to the items on our restricted list. Nevertheless, we believe listening to our customers is the most effective way to create the best possible cruise experience. All guest comments are shared with our operational teams for their internal review. We assure you we do our best to make improvements in the areas where our guests feel they are most needed. Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments.

Thank you for the time you have taken to write to us. We truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again."

I really didn't expect anything, and that's exactly what I got. What I've learned:

1) Pack your swiss army knife knife in your checked luggage and it should be fine (that seems to be the consensus).

2) The blade on the in-cabin wine opener is the similar dimension as my confiscated knife (see attachment)

3) Azamara is not listening and doesn't really care.

1709760811_knifewineopener.jpg.79da15ef4cebb294024fdc883e56f17c.jpg

Just off Journey. In my checked bag, I had nail clippers, small sissors, razor, and tweezers. My spouse had syringes and vials of meds in the carryon. Also, had a cpap machine. This did not present any problem from TSA or the cruise ship. At the Lisbon airport, security did examine the cpap. The Lisbon airport was a lot more cautious checking at various security points. We were separated and questioned many times. It was slow. It took us almost 3 hours to get to the gate. I have never experienced anything as thorough by the TSA.