Shareholder on board credit denied.

johncb7

Last March I booked a 16 night cruise for this forthcoming November. I booked through a large UK Travel Agent I have used many times previously, this time with one that is part of the Royal Caribbean Group. I generally book through a TA as the prices quoted are generally better than booking direct with the cruise line and in the case of Azamara who wants to deal direct with Guatamala!!

As a shareholder of both Royal Caribbean and Carnival I wait until 6/8 weeks before departure and send off the request for shareholder credit and up to now there has never been a problem. On this occasion I get a reply from Azamara that as my fare was booked on a 'Net Rate' that no OBC would be allowed.

When I spoke to my TA they said that this was a problem I had to take up with Azamara not themselves. I felt differently. I had no idea that the fare quoted was a 'Net Rate' as this was not mentioned at the time of booking and there is no mention of this in any of the correspondence I have received from them. I guess the lesson going forward is always to ask whether the price quoted would enable me to obtain shareholder benefits!!

My feeling is that I should have been told by the TA that this benefit would not be paid. Does anyone agree or is this yet another case of Azamara chasing away loyal customers? If it was not for the fantastic officers and crew on board these ships I think I would have looked elsewhere for a different cruise line some time ago.

Last March I booked a 16 night cruise for this forthcoming November. I booked through a large UK Travel Agent I have used many times previously, this time with one that is part of the Royal Caribbean Group. I generally book through a TA as the prices quoted are generally better than booking direct with the cruise line and in the case of Azamara who wants to deal direct with Guatamala!!

As a shareholder of both Royal Caribbean and Carnival I wait until 6/8 weeks before departure and send off the request for shareholder credit and up to now there has never been a problem. On this occasion I get a reply from Azamara that as my fare was booked on a 'Net Rate' that no OBC would be allowed.

When I spoke to my TA they said that this was a problem I had to take up with Azamara not themselves. I felt differently. I had no idea that the fare quoted was a 'Net Rate' as this was not mentioned at the time of booking and there is no mention of this in any of the correspondence I have received from them. I guess the lesson going forward is always to ask whether the price quoted would enable me to obtain shareholder benefits!!

My feeling is that I should have been told by the TA that this benefit would not be paid. Does anyone agree or is this yet another case of Azamara chasing away loyal customers? If it was not for the fantastic officers and crew on board these ships I think I would have looked elsewhere for a different cruise line some time ago.

I have to agree, we have had exactly the same issue though we booked through a German agency because their website allowed us to see exactly what rooms were available.

As a consumer we have no way of knowing what we book though I suppose Azamara are saying, its not our problem your travel agent does not tell you everything

I would rather Azamara were a little more communicative in their shareholder reponses rather than the generic knock back letter- the problem is the team who respond are an RCI team and treat all guests the same way. I have had issues trying to get information from them when OBC is denied

And for what it is worth, I have been unable to get obc on virtually every cruise in the last two years, even though we pay handsomely for suites on the grounds some "discount" has already been applied

Edited by uktog

I would rather Azamara were a little more communicative in their shareholder reponses rather than the generic knock back letter- the problem is the team who respond are an RCI team and treat all guests the same way. I have had issues trying to get information from them when OBC is denied.

Is handled by RCCL Investor Relations--as a corporation-wide function across the family of brands rather than on a divisional/business unit basis--and is, to the best of my knowledge, centralized at Corporate Headquarters in Miami...

Though I cannot assure you a more complete response to inquiries, I've had success in getting clarification of an unexpected decision by sending an e-mail to shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

Practices may differ by country but I am unaware of any US Travel Agent who would necessarily know--other than for perhaps a frequent, long-term client--whether or not one is a shareowner and/or how a specific discount, promotion, or fare category [they change constantly] might/might not influence eligibility for the shareholder benefit... Here, the application and its adjudication is between the guest and the cruise line's parent company...

Like you, I haven't qualified for a shareowner benefit in years...

Is handled by RCCL Investor Relations--as a corporation-wide function across the family of brands rather than on a divisional/business unit basis--and is, to the best of my knowledge, centralized at Corporate Headquarters in Miami...

Though I cannot assure you a more complete response to inquiries, I've had success in getting clarification of an unexpected decision by sending an e-mail to shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

Practices may differ by country but I am unaware of any US Travel Agent who would necessarily know--other than for perhaps a frequent, long-term client--whether or not one is a shareowner and/or how a specific discount, promotion, or fare category [they change constantly] might/might not influence eligibility for the shareholder benefit... Here, the application and its adjudication is between the guest and the cruise line's parent company...

Like you, I haven't qualified for a shareowner benefit in years...

That is the email address I use every time but whereas a few years ago responses were well written and relevant now the response is a generic one, indeed on one occasion it referred to an RC cruise when I had booked an Azamara trip, I believe the team should be customising the messages, Biggest joke was they refused OBC on Celebrity in March because I had not given 14 days notice of the cruise date - well Azamara did not give me 14 days notice that Journey was going to be crocked! However despite three emails from on board Reflection, including one from the Guest Relations Manager, they would not bend. That is why I feel they are automatons who do not think customer

I think you misunderstand what I am asking of travel agents and there is no dispute the fact that the issue is between the guest and the cruiseline. Of course a travel agent will not know my investment circumstances, however I do expect more transparency about the rates they are using - the issue here is that cruises are being booked but guests are not aware that the rate is one that cannot be used for any OBC. And for the OP the TA is infact an RC subsidiary

Edited by uktog

Everyone I know has had the same complaint. No OBC for shateholders. It applies to Azamara, Celebrity, and RCL. Stock prices have increased. Sell and take the profit.

Discontinued without notice seems to happening too often. Book at an acceptable price, get all promotions in writing at the time of the booking. Do NOT take verbal promises. If it is not in writing, it may not happen. It is truly sad that the recent changes have taken away many benefits that cruisers expected.

The only consolation may be the fact that the value of the shares has risen immensely and the dividends are not bad, either...

It's the same with us: with the use of booking-onboard benefits, beverage packages and other promotions we have not been able to claim shareholder benefits for two years now, either.

Our upcoming Azamara cruise is one we booked without getting a special - but now I fear that somehow they will wriggle out of paying any shareholder benefits - how am I to know which rate we have paid ??

In regard to rates: I keep wondering about the booking policies of all of the RCL family: when looking at a lot of the cruise prices on the German website mentioned above I noticed that there are THREE price codes now: a "standard" price without benefits, one ( for example) with OBC , one with the current promo of a beverage package. It was very interesting to see, by the way, that the prices that included the OBC were significantly higher and exceeded the worth of the Onboard Credit so graciously given by far. :confused: Quite strange...

My travel agent, a gem, is always able to tell me whether we will be able to get the shareholder credit based on the booking codes that she is using.

On a recent B2B, we got the shareholder credit for both legs. On other cruises, there were too many applicable promotions to get more.

The stock has done so incredibly well, I can't complain. ;)

We've had the same thing happen on our upcoming Constellation B2B, credit denied although the booking was done directly via Celebrity itself and nothing was said about a group rate, I know because I did the booking........:(

Ed

We've had the same thing happen on our upcoming Constellation B2B, credit denied although the booking was done directly via Celebrity itself and nothing was said about a group rate, I know because I did the booking........:(

Ed

Did they tell you why it as denied? A group booking alone wouldn't normally disqualify you from getting the shareholder credit. Do you have a BOGOHO or other type of rate?

And how are you? I still have fond memories of our 2009 Best of Italy cruise...

Did they tell you why it as denied? A group booking alone wouldn't normally disqualify you from getting the shareholder credit. Do you have a BOGOHO or other type of rate?

It could also be a Senior, Military or residence discount rate or even a promo like exciting deals. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NTM3NDR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, or agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates. Guests have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If shares are held jointly, 100 shares are required for each onboard credit requested on any one sailing. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Option Codes: SB01, SB02, SB03, SB04, SB05, SB06, SB07, SB08

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've booked Azamara Journey for the TA in November 2015 using the latest BOGOHO promotion via a TA and have already applied for and been granted the Shareholder OBC. :)

Interesting, I am sure we were denied it because we had BOGHO for a 2016 trip, will check when I get home

The other issue I have noted on these boards is quite a bit of inconsistency in the application of the rules

As others have said, the share price is of course compensating nicely for things ftb :)

The reason given was that the rate that we booked at was " already at a discount" with no further explanation. Really? Thanks for telling me that, wouldn't have known otherwise....

Anyway, Jean, we're doing well, older but not necessarily wiser. BTW, Mike and Judy are with us on the B2B.

Ed

After successfully obtaining OBC for 3 cruises after share purchase we have then been denied it for the last three cruises. All were booked under similar conditions so it appears as though the goalposts have changed and I fear we shall never be granted this again!

• 3 months later...

I always apply for the Shareholders Benefit about 3 months before a cruise is due to sail.

We are booked for a B2B and I applied about 3 months ago for the first leg, waited a day or two then applied for the second leg. We were granted OBC for the first leg but rejected without explanation for the second leg. I did not question them at the time as one of the cruises was 75% paid for by a very generous future cruise credit (FCC). I just figured that that was the cruise that was rejected.

Yesterday I looked at it again and determined that the FCC was actually applied to the first cruise. I checked the booking documents and we did not receive any more booking incentives on the second cruise than we had received on the first cruise. So I decided to pretend that I had not been rejected and sent in another request for the second cruise.

We have now been granted OBC for the second leg too.

In all the years we held RCI stock, we were NEVER granted the shareholder OBC, and the explanations were very vague as several have mentioned above.

While Carnival on the other hand bends over backwards to grant the benefit and we have always had it no matter which Carnival brand we sailed. So.......sold our RCI stock and took a Princess cruise and yes we got the OBC shareholder benefit!

In all the years we held RCI stock, we were NEVER granted the shareholder OBC, and the explanations were very vague as several have mentioned above.

While Carnival on the other hand bends over backwards to grant the benefit and we have always had it no matter which Carnival brand we sailed. So.......sold our RCI stock and took a Princess cruise and yes we got the OBC shareholder benefit!

HAL grants shareholder credit for all of their cruises regardless of the price booked and whether or not one has other promotions with the cruise line. They also combine their credit for booking on board (FCC) with everything else. The book on board credit is much smaller than what the RCCL brands give, but everyone is happy. Maybe the RCCL brands should follow the Carnival model.

Bought both stocks two years ago to get this credit. Since then have received the CCL credit both times, but stock is stuck at same price I paid. Never got the RCL credit, but stock has more than doubled. I'll take the RCL policy, thanks!

Like HostJazzbeau we have stock in both and have had OBC on every cruise with P&O and Princess but also our cruises with Celebrity and Azamara to date and been granted OBC for Azamara TA in November.

Fortunately we've also seen a 25% increase in CCL stock since we purchased but wish we'd had a crystal ball when we bought the RCL shares. Purchased at $9 and they're $84 today. Why didn't we buy '000s? :eek: