India E-Visa

doublebzz

India media is reporting that on December 1st the government approved extending the e-visa program to shipboard arrival at 5 ports of call in India: Mumbai, Chennai Kochi, Goa and Mangalore. I am trying to confirm this now with the Indian consulate. If anyone else has any information, please share it.

After reading the article last week, I e-mailed the India e-tourist visa office in Delhi and they responded that entry by ship requires a regular tourist visa. Clearly, like most bureaucracies, they probably will be the last to learn of changes to government policies. I twice again e-mailed them attaching the Hindu News article but they have yet to respond. It appears this change will take quite some time to work its way through the system.

its true..

I have an Indian friend who owns a tour company over there..in Cochin

he just posted this to that "other" social media site..

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Foreigners-can-enter-India-through-five-ports-on-e-visa/article16738695.ece

We're going to do a cruise with a land tour next November. The article mentions in addition to the sea ports, 16 airports will be included. Would that mean that this type of visa would include our land tour? That would be great if it does.

We're going to do a cruise with a land tour next November. The article mentions in addition to the sea ports, 16 airports will be included. Would that mean that this type of visa would include our land tour? That would be great if it does.

16 airports are already included including principal cities of Delhi and Mumbai. If and when the government's policy is actually implemented, it would mean one could combine a cruise and land tour as long as arrival/departure is through one of the listed 16 airports and 3 seaports and the entire stay is less than 60 days.

The acquisition of our Indian visa was the worst, even compared to Russia and China.

Also, just getting off the ship at the first Indian port was a mess. Not sure that I want to go back, unless the e visa works out.

Hi,an evisa is only valid for 2 entries so a landtour and a cruise with 2 ports will not be possible,cheers,Brian.

The article says they are extending to include 5 ports. Or am I missing something?

The article says they are extending to include 5 ports. Or am I missing something?
Hi,yes but not 5 entries,same as all the airports in the scheme.It just gives you a choice of entry and exit,cheers,Brian.

Hi,yes but not 5 entries,same as all the airports in the scheme.It just gives you a choice of entry and exit,cheers,Brian.

Does it count if you're not actually leaving Indian waters between port stops? This is the case in other countries where, officially, you have not left the country - similar to travelling around the British Isles by boat/ship, or across to the Isle of Wight etc.

We are also planning a cruise which includes India. It is a world Cruise and not easy to get a face to face visa before starting the world cruise. It would be great if we could apply online from the ship. Otherwise what to do? Can we just stay on the ship?

Hi,you will not be allowed to board without visa,even if you dont get off.On the Aurora world cruise next year with only 2 indian ports,everyone has to have a multiple entry visa,cheers,Brian.ps thats how it stands at present,if this article is true,things may change.

Edited by brian1

IO am doing a land our of India in April going into Delhi (one entry) and then doing 12 days around India Then flying to Kathmandu for 4 days and returning to Delhi (2n entry) just into the airport while waiting for a flight to England

Is this enough for me to get an e visa and if so please let me know the link and costs for this (UK cit living in Australia)

ALSO if anyone can give me easy details to get a Nepal visa the same way would be great

IO am doing a land our of India in April going into Delhi (one entry) and then doing 12 days around India Then flying to Kathmandu for 4 days and returning to Delhi (2n entry) just into the airport while waiting for a flight to England

Is this enough for me to get an e visa and if so please let me know the link and costs for this (UK cit living in Australia)

ALSO if anyone can give me easy details to get a Nepal visa the same way would be great

Off subject, but I hope you know how hot India will be in April. We were in India in late March and early April and temps were close to 100 degrees F.

Off subject, but I hope you know how hot India will be in April. We were in India in late March and early April and temps were close to 100 degrees F.

Yes I was warned but it was around that temperature here last week and very humid as well

• 2 months later...
Has there been any update on the seaport entry on an evisa?

I keep checking, but up to now, nothing has been altered on the official website stating that the new seaports have been included in the e-visa. As other pax have stated on another thread, Indian bureaucracy may result in the new T&C not being implemented for quite some time ;).

Hi,got off the Aurora a couple of weeks ago,that included Mumbai and Cochin.Everyone still has to have the full visa im afraid,cheers,Brian.

Yes, still got my fingers crossed that it will be sorted by the end of the year to include the seaports as stated previously. If not, it will have to be the full visa :mad:.

• 1 month later...
Yes, still got my fingers crossed that it will be sorted by the end of the year to include the seaports as stated previously. If not, it will have to be the full visa :mad:.

It is now official (implemented on April 1, 2017): you can now apply for an e-visa to gain entry into three seaports as a cruise passenger:

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

9. e-Visa is valid for entry through 24 designated Airports (i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh,Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum & Varanasi) and 3 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore). However, the foreigner can take exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.

It is now official (implemented on April 1, 2017): you can now apply for an e-visa to gain entry into three seaports as a cruise passenger:

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

9. e-Visa is valid for entry through 24 designated Airports (i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh,Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum & Varanasi) and 3 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore). However, the foreigner can take exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.

:( Thanks for posting this update. But, this still won't work for our cruise (1/14/18). The tourist e-visa only allows for double entry, and we will be stopping at 4 ports in India - the 1st port being Mumbai, which is not included as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Mumbai seaport isn't on the list! Shame they have only gone for double entry too - I noticed the medical e-visa is for triple entry? Still not looking forward to applying; I anticipate it being a nightmare, especially as we have children in our group.

Yes, Mumbai seaport isn't on the list! Shame they have only gone for double entry too - I noticed the medical e-visa is for triple entry? Still not looking forward to applying; I anticipate it being a nightmare, especially as we have children in our group.

I am not on your itinerary so I do not know the details of the port sequence. First, they mentioned that Mumbai seaport will soon be placed on the approved list of entry points for e-visa. Second, if Mumbai is your entry point followed by other Indian ports without leaving the country, may be the entire sequence counts as a single entry.