Spencer Ambrose or Cosol Tours?

dawnvan

• 2 weeks later...
I am having a hard time choosing! Which would you pick and why?

We are going with Spencer again (for the 3rd time) on his Land and sea tour. I think it is the way to see the Island... you get the history in Castries, the views of the ship when you are driving out of the city, the countryside, banana plantations, views of the Pitons from the road and the waterfall at Toraille. We opt out of the drive in volcano because we have seen it and it is not that great.... Yellowstone is much better IMHO. Then the water taxi to Jalousie beach between the Pitons is awesome the view and his great lunch and some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Then to cap off the day you get the speedboat ride/tour back to the ship seeing lots of things you would never see from the land. This is our favorite tour.

• 1 month later...

We did the Jalousie Beach Break tour and had a great time. The boat ride out to the Pitons was a little rough (encouraged by 4 passengers who thought cutting across waves was a great time) but once they realized the other 10 people were about to puke, they toned it down.

Once we got out to the beach, we all settled in on chairs and my husband and I loved that we had some shade. Spencer's daughter kept the drinks coming and we loved the lunch.

This was a fantastic place to snorkel. My husband and I love to snorkel and saw things here that ranked at the very top of our list. We brought our own gear, but Spencer and his daughter had gear available for people to use as well.

The leisurely tour on the way back to the ship was great, and we really enjoyed the day, despite the crazy passengers who joined us. One guy was so intoxicated he almost got left, then cut his foot and was bleeding as he was trying to board, then jumped off the boat while it was still running during the tour on the way back. You guessed it... Same people who thought it was fun to cut across waves. Spencer ended up getting it under control.

I wouldn't hesitate to book this tour again. Even with the crazies, we were still better off than the people who took the land tour. I don't think they were prepared for the motion sickness they experienced in the vans. I definitely won't be going that route!

thanks lunagirl. My concern with Cosol tours is the motion sickness, put me in the back of a van and watch out!! I booked to land sea and beach with ambrose. Hope I can handle a little van touring!!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
thanks lunagirl. My concern with Cosol tours is the motion sickness, put me in the back of a van and watch out!! I booked to land sea and beach with ambrose. Hope I can handle a little van touring!!:rolleyes:

Great choice! We are going back to St. Lucia for a 3rd time and booked Spencer Ambrose's Land and Sea Tour AGAIN......for the same reason....a little driving and a little bit by boat....you will be able to handle it beautifully. The first time there we were scared of the motion sickness driving too....and this tour offered the best of all worlds....plus NO sickness!!

• 4 weeks later...

I sat in the back of the van and did not experience any sensation of motion sickness. All of these islands have nothing but twisty, hilly rides - they are not flat except at coast. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes or look away at the lack of guard rails and the prevalence of ditches on the sides of the roads!! I don't think a seatbelt would help!! Drivers we had were all great and after the first few scary turns I was okay. They all drive on the left side of the road and that is part of why the driving seems so scary!!

We also did Spencer Ambrose's "Jalousie Beach Break" when on our cruise in May 2013 and it was one of the best experiences we've had on an excursion while cruising. We chose the "Jalousie Beach Break" because I'd seen pictures of the beach and I just wanted to spend a nice and relaxing day there without feeling "rushed". We had the speedboat ride to the beach, with a few stops (and no "crazies" on our tour) and were the first group at the beach. The speedboat ride was about 45 minutes. We had plenty of time to get pictures, snorkel, and just to kick back and enjoy the beach. The lunch provided was excellent and they have an unlimited supply of drinks (bottled water, soda, diet soda, rum punch and Piton Beer). I think we had about five hours at the beach. On the way back, we had the "Sea Tour" where we had several stops which they told us all about and there were many great photo opportunities.

We'd love to do the same cruise again and when we do, we'll definitely be doing Spencer's "Land and Sea Tour" to see more of St. Lucia.

I did a tour with James recently and it was amazing! James is awesome!! The tour included lunch and drinks and the ride so comfortable plus there was free wifi on the bus! We were so relaxed and we were treated very well... Thank you James, i highly recommend James' Tours. :)

My 8 year old at the time and I went with Spencer 2 years ago on the Gros Piton hike. We got the speedboat ride past the beach for the hike. I don't remember how long it was, but it was an adventure in itself (in a good way). This was the first time that I have seen flying fish, and we saw better than 100 up close since we were in a speedboat. I have hiked a lot in the past, and it was the toughest one that I have ever taken. Not quite the same as Colorado with the humidity. Very glad that we did it. Of course my 8 year old had no problem making it to the top. Spencer's guide was great. After the hike, we stopped at the beach for a quick lunch. We are booking this year, but opting for the beach break. We loved St. Lucia, and would highly recommend Spencer.

Just returned from St Lucia, and we did a tour with Cosol, and highly recommend using them. We had Bumpy as our guide, and he was excellent!!!! Told us about so many different things, took us to some great places, and we had some great food throughout the tour!! That hot bread with cheese at the end of the tour.....WOW!!!

Can't say enough great things about Bumpy!! The island is beautiful, and it is very hilly, but no one had any motion sickness issues in our group. A great way to spend the day seeing St. Lucia!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to decide between Herod's and Cosol. But now I am reading good things about Spencer.

Can anybody help swing the vote one way or another?

I definitely get motion sickness, but on my last cruise in June, I used sea bands and while they are not fashionable, they worked like a charm! I even used half a bonine the first 2 days b/c I was skeptical of the bands....but the bands also worked for the week post-cruise when I'm trying to get my land legs again.

At any rate, Herods, Cosol or Spencer? Thoughts?

We are trying to decide between Herod's and Cosol. But now I am reading good things about Spencer.

Can anybody help swing the vote one way or another?

I definitely get motion sickness, but on my last cruise in June, I used sea bands and while they are not fashionable, they worked like a charm! I even used half a bonine the first 2 days b/c I was skeptical of the bands....but the bands also worked for the week post-cruise when I'm trying to get my land legs again.

At any rate, Herods, Cosol or Spencer? Thoughts?

Good to hear about Sea Bands! I just got mine in the mail this week and fingers crossed as I too have motion sickness problems.

All the options for St Lucia tour you are considering get great reviews, and I had a terrible time deciding. In the end, I went with the best combination of itinerary, mode of transport, and reviews. For me Spencer's Land Sea and Beach took the gold because I didn't want to ride around in the back of a bus on switchbacks (transport is mostly in speedboats!!!), I wanted the mud baths, and I wanted a good length of time to relax on the beach:-) I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear about Sea Bands! I just got mine in the mail this week and fingers crossed as I too have motion sickness problems.

All the options for St Lucia tour you are considering get great reviews, and I had a terrible time deciding. In the end, I went with the best combination of itinerary, mode of transport, and reviews. For me Spencer's Land Sea and Beach took the gold because I didn't want to ride around in the back of a bus on switchbacks (transport is mostly in speedboats!!!), I wanted the mud baths, and I wanted a good length of time to relax on the beach:-) I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.

DITTO ! I too had researched all above tour guides and because of my issues with motion sickness ( I take meclizine, ginger root, ginger hard rock candy, plus seabands ) and wanting to snorkel and relax at the beach plus all the positive reviews, enjoying the view of the Pitons and visiting the bat cave is extra that I do not see the others offer, you will go back the same way you went with the other 3 tours.

We are booked with Spencer for our upcoming December cruise for all the extras as he gets you to the beach first avoiding the big crowds.

Edited by ISLABONITA

• 2 weeks later...
I am having a hard time choosing! Which would you pick and why?

Just another opinion to confuse you even more ... I've been to St. Lucia many times and have done tours with most of the operators, including the ones mentioned here. All were very good but personally my favorite is Herod's Tours. Particularly the Land & Sea. This next Feb. I will be on his tour for the 4th time. That's how much I like it. All day tour with Herod, lunch at his family home. Lunch is cooked by his Mother and most of the produce comes from their garden. The home has a great view of the pitons. After lunch it's off to the beach at the base of the Pitons (think it's called Jalousie). This is one of my favorite snorkel spots in all the island. I really can't say enough good things about Herod and his tour.

Molly

(feel free to ask me if you have any questions. If you happen to be on the Celebrity Eclipse, Feb 15th then maybe I'll see you on this tour)

• 1 month later...

Agreed Toesinthwater!

We were with Spencer for the Land, Sea, Beach adventure on Tuesday when we docked at Castries.

My family enjoyed the tour!

Don't forget to bring an old bathing suit if you do the mud bath. Highly recommend. Very relaxing experience

But now I have to wash our bathing suits multiple times to get the sulphur smell out. First world problems clearly ;)

Neptune was our driver during the land portion

Terry was very attentive during it all. And during our beach break kept offering beer and rum punch!def spend $5 for a fresh coconut at the beach

ImageUploadedByForums1421633074.027610.jpg.333c11b8d2b138363d8801c5c405c4d7.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1421633006.682306.jpg.9199d72d549d57252ff14064adb57f65.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1421633046.150303.jpg.5d8a7ce74270b1b4c4f4b340327ed037.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i would rather wash a towel only instead of also a bathing suit???

Is anyone bathing without - other than the natural bathing suit of mud clinging to the entire body when coming out?

Doesn't make a lot of sense or logic to me...

I didn't go in to the hot sauna bath and was able to slap on the mud for the same effect and rinsed off under the showers they have there

• 3 weeks later...
DITTO ! I too had researched all above tour guides and because of my issues with motion sickness ( I take meclizine, ginger root, ginger hard rock candy, plus seabands ) and wanting to snorkel and relax at the beach plus all the positive reviews, enjoying the view of the Pitons and visiting the bat cave is extra that I do not see the others offer, you will go back the same way you went with the other 3 tours.

We are booked with Spencer for our upcoming December cruise for all the extras as he gets you to the beach first avoiding the big crowds.

Finally getting around to writing my review of our tour a couple of weeks ago with Spencer. We also did the Jalousie Beach Break - by speedboat - chosen after reading reviews of people getting motion sickness in the van. (As it turns out, my husband got a little seasick on the ride back, but nothing too bad)!!! Didn't ruin his fabulous time on this tour. Check out this tour on Spencer's website to see pictures and read the details - it's exactly as stated. We were the first ones on the beach and in the water snorkeling before the crowds arrived later in the day. We also were the ones that got chairs - and we were the last to leave. Best snorkeling we've done in years. Terry was our guide on this tour and was fabulous - couldn't do enough for us - his friendliness, knowledge and professionalism can't be beat. Our homemade local lunch on the beach was fabulous, and there was an abundance of beer, rum punch, water and soda all day. The tour of many sites in Castries, Bay, Marigot Bay, the Pitons and the bat caves were spectacular. This is a great bang for the buck - and you do not even pay ahead of time - money is collected after we were all on the beach. It was a pleasure to meet Spencer and his daughter in person as well. Our Captain Ray rounded out the team.

If we go back to St. Lucia again, we will not hesitate to book this tour with Spencer again. Thanks again Terry and crew for a GREAT DAY that we will never forget.

;)