Do YOU always participate on formal nights?

RCmommy

I am struggling with this idea for our upcoming cruise. The reason I am struggling? The extra packing for our family of four and the fact that the four of us do not truly have anything formal, the kids even semi-formal, so it would be be added costs for us to get some new digs!

I am on the fence with just sucking it up and buying some formal-ish wear (fear not, I am not talking three piece suits and such) Hoping some replies can help me make up my mind.

I know there is a whole "go dressed as you are camp" but I would feel frumpy and I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with our flip flops. :p

Can we expect many to be skipping the formal nights and dining elsewhere or are we going to be lonely sitting at the buffet?

Sometimes I skip sometimes I dont, but if I do go formal its only businees casual dress and no tie. Slacks, dress shoes, and a button down business shirt.

Times have changed, you no longer need to wear a tux or 3 piece suit like in the 80 or 90's.

Edited by jp30338

We participate, but it's far from formal on Carnival. I usually just wear a nice dress (not ballgown or anything close) along with a pair of wedges that I wear at other times too. I sometimes also use the same dress for both elegant nights. For the men, they wear a pair of dress slacks and a button down shirt.

It doesn't take up any extra space really in the suitcases so I always scratch my head when I hear people complain about luggage fees and such. Really, what are these people packing? I travel with a carry on suitcase and tote bag for a 7 day cruise.

I know it seems like a simple choice but for me nothing is simple. haha

We work from home so formal, even semi formal gear is not in our wardrobe.

For me, formal night means extra clothes and different shoes for all four of us. That will mean more luggage and Delta charges $25 a case. I normally have four cases for the four of us. (packing light for me is an enigma!)

Buying new clothes costs money= money I would rather spend on excursions.

However, I don't want the rest of the family to miss out because I am being a prude!

I am struggling with this idea for our upcoming cruise. The reason I am struggling? The extra packing for our family of four and the fact that the four of us do not truly have anything formal, the kids even semi-formal, so it would be be added costs for us to get some new digs!

I am on the fence with just sucking it up and buying some formal-ish wear (fear not, I am not talking three piece suits and such) Hoping some replies can help me make up my mind.

I know there is a whole "go dressed as you are camp" but I would feel frumpy and I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with our flip flops. :p

Can we expect many to be skipping the formal nights and dining elsewhere or are we going to be lonely sitting at the buffet?

FYI, you do not have to be in a suit or tux to dine in the MDR on frormal nights...

I know that. But read the highlighted part of the OP's post.

We participate, but it's far from formal on Carnival. I usually just wear a nice dress (not ballgown or anything close) along with a pair of wedges that I wear at other times too. I sometimes also use the same dress for both elegant nights. For the men, they wear a pair of dress slacks and a button down shirt.

It doesn't take up any extra space really in the suitcases so I always scratch my head when I hear people complain about luggage fees and such. Really, what are these people packing? I travel with a carry on suitcase and tote bag for a 7 day cruise.

I am packing for two adults and two kids. Between the four of us, it is a lot of gear!

For me, formal night means extra clothes and different shoes for all four of us. That will mean more luggage and Delta charges $25 a case. I normally have four cases for the four of us. (packing light for me is an enigma!)

However, I don't want the rest of the family to miss out because I am being a prude!

You may want to look into the Delta Skymiles Card as you get one free suitcase per person up to 4 additional people on the same reservation as you. I couldn't tell you the last time I've paid a bag fee. Same with American Airlines.

I'm all about the bargain, so just trying to save you some money. I'm not in any way saying to get a bunch of credit cards, and don't care to start that debate with some people on here. I just thought I would pass on that little bit of info in case you are interested.

I don't really care much for it. It's the same dining room, guests and servers as any other night. They add lobster tails and people dress a little nicer. You can wear a collared shirt and some slacks, basically what you should wear to church. You won't feel out of place at all.

Now if you want photos with the captain and all the stuff on the promenade you might feel a little out of place without a suit but there are way more guys wearing polo shirts than tuxedos.

1) What is it that you think you are going to miss out on?

2) Ask the rest of the family how they feel. I'll bet they are going to feel very similar to how you feel.

We participate, but that's because I wear scrubs every day and I enjoy the seldom opportunity to get dressed up...I don't get them enough!

As far as not having formal clothes. Do you have khakis for the kids? Honestly your kids could do khakis and a nice top and be perfectly fine on "formal" night. You will see quite the range from business casual to dressy.

You may want to look into the Delta Skymiles Card as you get one free suitcase per person up to 4 additional people on the same reservation as you. I couldn't tell you the last time I've paid a bag fee. Same with American Airlines.

I'm all about the bargain, so just trying to save you some money. I'm not in any way saying to get a bunch of credit cards, and don't care to start that debate with some people on here. I just thought I would pass on that little bit of info in case you are interested.

I have looked into it! The last check however it was not available to Canadians. :(

I am packing for two adults and two kids. Between the four of us, it is a lot of gear!

We have been cruising with my 2 kids since they were 5 and 7. We learned after the first one that we were WAY over packed. They do have washing machines on Carnival in case they make a mess of their clothes.

Even with 4 of us, and the kids now in their teens, we can pack for a week with 3 suitcases (one being carry - on sized which is mine). Oh, and that was also packing full suits for the boys and my husband's dress uniform when we went on Celebrity 5 times.

We always dress up. I wear a nice dress and DH wears dress slacks, button down shirt & tie. It's more along the lines of what you would wear to a wedding rather than anything formal. There are plenty of people that opt to skip elegant night and eat in the buffet, but remember, you will be missing out on the MDR food that evening. Do what's right for you and your family.

1) What is it that you think you are going to miss out on?

2) Ask the rest of the family how they feel. I'll bet they are going to feel very similar to how you feel.

I suppose I feel like we will miss out on the better food. However, we don't eat lobster anyway so it may be a win win for us. Miss out on the ambiance? From what I am reading though, it isn't much different from other nights.

I think if I can find some deals and cut back on the luggage I will at least grab something for all of us to wear for one night. If not though, I get the impression we will be just fine at the buffet.

Edited by RCmommy

I think I have read way to many reviews and seen many people dressed up looking fantastic in photos that I envisioned my family sitting alone at the buffet feeling like party poopers! :D

I suppose that is because not too many people post their "guess what we ate at the buffet while wearing flip flops on elegant night" reviews.

Yes, we dress up on Formal/Elegant Night. On one Carnival cruise, there was a couple who were wearing formal clothes. He wore a tux, she wore a full length gown. Their kids were miniature versions of them. They were the only ones I saw all evening dressed like that. They looked fantastic but were over dressed when compared to everyone else.

I very seldom see anyone in true "formal" clothes. I personally don't own a tux and don't ever plan to buy or rent one. Most people, including us, wear our "Sunday Best" on Formal/Elegant nights.

We always pack at least one dressy outfit for each of us. But honestly, alot of the time we're wiped out from a day of sun and activities, we just don't feel like getting dolled up.

My first two cruises I packed long formal dresses. Don't quite do that anymore. It's more like one of my dressier sundresses, DH a shirt and tie, daughter in a sundress and son in slacks and a dress shirt. Not really extra money spent for us since we have alot of dressy clothes from church.

Last two cruises we enjoyed people watching on formal night. Some the outfits were really gorgeous. Some others left me thinking.....what were they thinking!:p

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We always pack at least one dressy outfit for each of us. But honestly, alot of the time we're wiped out from a day of sun and activities, we just don't feel like getting dolled up.

My first two cruises I packed long formal dresses. Don't quite do that anymore. It's more like one of my dressier sundresses, DH a shirt and tie, daughter in a sundress and son in slacks and a dress shirt. Not really extra money spent for us since we have alot of dressy clothes from church.

Last two cruises we enjoyed people watching on formal night. Some the outfits were really gorgeous. Some others left me thinking.....what were they thinking!:p

I hear you. On our first cruise before heading to the MDR I touched up my hair with a can of Lysol instead of hairspray because I was tired and in robot mode. :D:D:D

I sure did smell FRESH!