How to disembark Gem quickly?

mattR

Our group has noon flights from Newark and LGA the day we disembark the Gem. We will do self walk-off but where do we disembark from and where do we line up and at what time? What time would you suggest for a car service to be told for pickup?

Our group has noon flights from Newark and LGA the day we disembark the Gem. We will do self walk-off but where do we disembark from and where do we line up and at what time? What time would you suggest for a car service to be told for pickup?

We were on Gem 3 weeks ago. They started self debark around 7:30. (we did regular debark) So many people were doing self that it took over 1 hour to clear them out. There were 2 lines to debark. We went on the one closest to the atrium, and were literally off, thru customs, and in our car within 20 minutes. Car service cannot pick you up at the terminal. You will have to walk across the street - they will pick you up on the main road, or on the side street right there. If not in too much of a rush, I would tell them 8:30ish.

I asses the situation once I am off the ship. If there is a huge line at immigration/customs, I hire a porter...they always get you out of there faster. If I have time to wait...I stand in line. If you are in a suite, the concierge can get you off the ship faster as well.

The only glitch which could cause stress is if the ship is held up and is delayed debarkation. Generally, they are pros at getting you off at a decent time if all goes well. There are police officers who help you cross the street to get a cab. There is no shortage of cabs!

coka

I've yet to have to go across the street to get picked up. Have always just taken the elevator up to where you enter the terminal and have been picked up there. Across the street is extreMky chaotic with people and cars everywhere!

I've yet to have to go across the street to get picked up. Have always just taken the elevator up to where you enter the terminal and have been picked up there. Across the street is extreMky chaotic with people and cars everywhere!

But according to your cruise history you haven't cruised in almost a year, and things change. If someone posts current MDR menus do you dispute the post's accuracy because the menus a year ago were different?

They've been pretty consistent in forcing passengers to go across the street...maybe not 100% of the time, but it's their intent to do that, and in the good old fashioned NY manner they make the intent quite clear. You might be able to go upstairs if they don't catch you, but don't count on it.

But according to your cruise history you haven't cruised in almost a year, and things change. If someone posts current MDR menus do you dispute the post's accuracy because the menus a year ago were different?

They've been pretty consistent in forcing passengers to go across the street...maybe not 100% of the time, but it's their intent to do that, and in the good old fashioned NY manner they make the intent quite clear. You might be able to go upstairs if they don't catch you, but don't count on it.

Geez sorry to offend! Just stated what has been my experience! I never disagreed with anyone! I guess no one should state their experience cruising unless they just got off the ship!

Geez sorry to offend! Just stated what has been my experience! I never disagreed with anyone! I guess no one should state their experience cruising unless they just got off the ship!

Now that I'm looking at the date of your most recent cruise more carefully, I realize that I was on the same cruise, so I definitely know they were directing passengers across the street for pick up then too. In fact they've been doing it pretty consistently since late 2012.

That's not to say you didn't manage to get picked up upstairs, but those reading the thread who don't have prior experience cruising from NY should be aware that it's most likely they'll be asked to cross 12th Ave. to be picked up there.

Edited by njhorseman

I have cruised out on NYC for the last three summers. If you get a porter the will not make you cross the street with your luggage. All three thimes they stayed with us until our car service came right to the terminal just outside of the baggage claim area. It was the best $20 I spent. You get right to the front of the immigration line and picked up steps away. Priceless!

We disembarked in NYC on the 30th & they were practically cattle prodding us across the street. 15 people (inc. 6 kids) w. 7 days worth of luggage take time to cross a busy city intersection. They do.not.care & kept yelling at us to cross.