Should I try Celebrity? Europe Questions!

OfTheSeasCruiser

So my cruises for next year were all planned and ready to go...Well, our traveling companions might not be going now, so I'm going to switch things up! Thinking Europe...Torn between certain itineraries, and Celebrity vs Royal. I'm a big fan of Royal Caribbean, but itinerary is going to be most important for this cruise. Should I try out Celebrity?

Here are my options, tell me what you think!

7 Night Vision of the Seas

Roundtrip Venice -> Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Katakolon

2 Nights pre-cruise in Venice. Would love to visit Dubrovnik and Santorini.

7 Night Celebrity Constellation

Venice to Barcelona -> Zadar, Kotor, Rome, Livorno, Toulon

1-2 Nights pre-cruise in Venice. 1 night post cruise in Barcelona.

7 Night Celebrity Equinox

Istanbul to Rome -> Overnight in Istanbul, Mykonos, Valletta, Sicily, Naples

2 Nights in Rome post-cruise.

Which would be your top choice? A little bit worried about trying Celebrity, but if the itinerary is better, than so be it. Oh and I should mention that I've never been to Europe before. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We much prefer Celebrity to RCI and would always choose 1 of their cruises over RCI for lots of reasons. However, your decision is based on the itinery and the RCI 1 is by far (IMHO) the better as it includes Venice Dubrovnik and Santorini 3 of our favourite ports of call

I also just saw another cruise that is sort of interesting:

Rome to Barcelona -> Livorno, Villefranche, Ajaccio, Palma Overnight

Pre- and post- cruise stay in both Rome and Barcelona.

Worth considering?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I love Celebrity especially the solstice class ships. I would choose equinox, but we tend to balance ports VS ship. We love celebrity because we love good food, great accommodations, and above average service. Missing Venice and Santorini is difficult, but can always be hit on another celebrity cruise, but turkey, Rome, and Naples aren't bad either.

Aren't there longer cruises in the Mediterranean? Since you're going that far?

Or go earlier and do your Santorini and Venice as a pre- or post-cruise land vacation. You'll see more and get to stay longer in those beautiful cities if you don't try to squish them into a few hours on a cruise.

I'd take the Equinox. You can not beat the S class ships with the ones you've listed.

Also I would stay two nights in Barcelona if you are going there. Two days there is really a minimum to even get a taste.

Aren't there longer cruises in the Mediterranean? Since you're going that far?

Or go earlier and do your Santorini and Venice as a pre- or post-cruise land vacation. You'll see more and get to stay longer in those beautiful cities if you don't try to squish them into a few hours on a cruise.

I'd take the Equinox. You can not beat the S class ships with the ones you've listed.

Also I would stay two nights in Barcelona if you are going there. Two days there is really a minimum to even get a taste.

There are, but for several different reasons, they're not options at this time.

Vision class ships are our least favourite of the Royal fleet, so I'd much rather sail on either of the other 2 X ships. Can you only complete 7 days as a B2B may be more worthwhile, especially if you haven't visited Europe previously?

If I had to choose, loving both Royal and Celebrity, I would go with the Royal Vision of the Seas. Round-trip Venice -> Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Katakolon sounds like a winner! These are amazing ports!!

You won't have enough time or energy to be too concerned about the differences in ships.

If I had to choose, loving both Royal and Celebrity, I would go with the Royal Vision of the Seas. Round-trip Venice -> Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Katakolon sounds like a winner! These are amazing ports!!

You won't have enough time or energy to be too concerned about the differences in ships.

Thanks. Vision and the Constellation are definitely my top 2 at the moment, because the more I think about, the more I feel that this cruise has to include Venice. One reason that I'm considering Constellation is because it hits Rome and Barcelona too. We've always wanted to go there.

This definitely won't be our last Med cruise. Whatever we miss this time will be visited (hopefully) in 2018. :D

Choose based on ports - not whether RCL or Celebrity. The onboard experience is in my opinion similar. I echo previous comments to definately arrive a couple days ahead and stay at least a couple days afterward. Going all that way and not having more time to explore unless work restricts your time would be sad.

Choose where you want to go. Note that ships dock a long way from Rome - at least 90 minutes each way! - so really can only do that one pre or post cruise.

Based on itinerary, the first Vision of the Seas cruise, just check the port times to make sure you've got plenty of time in each port, they are all amazing!

Port times seem good.

I'm just a little torn because I feel like the Constellation cruise would give us a good taste of all that Europe has to offer... Am I wrong in thinking that? I haven't seen anyone recommend that cruise. I like being able to stay in both Venice and Barcelona, and the fact that I can see a little of Rome and Florence (or Cinque Terre?), during the cruise. How about the ship? Compared to Vision? Opinions?

Port times seem good.

I'm just a little torn because I feel like the Constellation cruise would give us a good taste of all that Europe has to offer... Am I wrong in thinking that? I haven't seen anyone recommend that cruise. I like being able to stay in both Venice and Barcelona, and the fact that I can see a little of Rome and Florence (or Cinque Terre?), during the cruise. How about the ship? Compared to Vision? Opinions?

If you have never been to the Mediterranean then yes all of these are places everyone should visit at least once in a lifetime. The fact that you can do Venice on the same cruise is great. For me, the cruise is so port intensive, the ship is secondary. Celebrity is a good brand, the food usually rates higher than Royal. You will be exhausted after all the touring that the shows and activities are not as important.

If you have never been to the Mediterranean then yes all of these are places everyone should visit at least once in a lifetime. The fact that you can do Venice on the same cruise is great. For me, the cruise is so port intensive, the ship is secondary. Celebrity is a good brand, the food usually rates higher than Royal. You will be exhausted after all the touring that the shows and activities are not as important.

I'll definitely be going back to the Med in a few years, so I think the Constellation might be good to give us a sampling, and help us determine where we want to return. I really would like to try the S Class, but I think Venice is more important! But then Vision stops at both Dubrovnik and Santorini! Ah, decisions, decisions...

I'll definitely be going back to the Med in a few years, so I think the Constellation might be good to give us a sampling, and help us determine where we want to return. I really would like to try the S Class, but I think Venice is more important! But then Vision stops at both Dubrovnik and Santorini! Ah, decisions, decisions...

Dubrovnik and Santorini are great places to visit but Rome Florence and Barcelona are simply magnicent.

Really hard to say if Celebrity is right for you.....if you really want an opinion you would need to tell a bit about you...age things that are important to you...like types of entertainment are you into the rock climbing wave rider type thing ....what level stateroom do you favor? etc...

So my cruises for next year were all planned and ready to go...Well, our traveling companions might not be going now, so I'm going to switch things up! Thinking Europe...Torn between certain itineraries, and Celebrity vs Royal. I'm a big fan of Royal Caribbean, but itinerary is going to be most important for this cruise. Should I try out Celebrity?

Here are my options, tell me what you think!

7 Night Vision of the Seas

Roundtrip Venice -> Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Katakolon

2 Nights pre-cruise in Venice. Would love to visit Dubrovnik and Santorini.

7 Night Celebrity Constellation

Venice to Barcelona -> Zadar, Kotor, Rome, Livorno, Toulon

1-2 Nights pre-cruise in Venice. 1 night post cruise in Barcelona.

Istanbul to Rome -> Overnight in Istanbul, Mykonos, Valletta, Sicily, Naples

2 Nights in Rome post-cruise.

Which would be your top choice? A little bit worried about trying Celebrity, but if the itinerary is better, than so be it. Oh and I should mention that I've never been to Europe before. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by LabGuy64

If it were me I would go with the Constellation. We have been fortunate to visit all of these ports. To get to Venice and Barcelona on the same cruise with 2nights in Venice & 1 in Barcelona is great.

We love the Equinox but right now many cruise lines, including Celebrity are canceling the overnights in Istanbul.

These are port intensive cruises so entertainment & activities shouldn't be a big factor. We are Diamond on Royal but prefer Celebrity over Royal, particularly on port intensive cruises. We were on the Constellation in May great ship and a wonderful crew.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip.

You ask about itinerary and not cruise lines so we will answer that issue. The Vision of the Seas itinerary is excellent for those who have not been to those ports. We also like the Equinox itinerary...except that many cruise lines are currently skipping Istanbul (we love this place) which makes it somewhat of a gamble. We are not big fans of the Connie itinerary because Toulon is far from a good port location (Marseille is a much better location) and Kotor and Zodar are fine for those of us who have been to Europe...but do not think they measure-up to places like Santorini, Dubrovnik, or Ephesus.

Keep in mind that this kind of shore Med cruise is very port intensive and many passengers get exhausted with the ports and go to bed early :). Unlike the Caribbean, the ship/cruise line is less important with this kind of port intensive itinerary.

Hank

I have not been to Venice, but its definitely on my bucket list! Having said that, if this is your first time to Europe, I would definitely pick the itinerary that includes the overnights in Venice and Barcelona. Barcelona is a beautiful city, with so much to see. I also had a day in Rome, which of course isn't enough to give you more than a taste, but we did get to see the top attractions, and a trip to the Vatican was something I'll always remember. There is a lot of unrest in Greece and Istanbul these days, which makes me hesitate to book anything in that area for now. I agree with the others that have posted that this is not a relaxing trip! I am usually a night owl, but since we frequently had to be ready to go by 7 or 8am, we headed to bed at a decent time. If you can, at least get a balcony and relax a little while watching the Med sea go by.