When Do You Tell?

LuCruise

We booked our Allure April 2016 cruise almost a year ago (in Dec 2014). Been doing tons of research about the ship and ports, and I so want to tell our kids. They will be almost 11 and 6.5 (closer to 7) when we cruise.

DH's preference - morning of

My preference - Am thinking New Years Eve (as a 'something to look forward to in the new year').

I don't see DH's option as practical since we would need to tell their school. I'm not as concerned about my younger one as she's in grade 1, but my older one is in grade 5 and so he may have work to make up for (and we communicate to teachers via an agenda/notes, as opposed to directly).

But...DH and I did discuss and he was ok doing the New Year's Eve thing.

Only thing is...yesterday I think DS overheard something and he made a comment 'next time we have a trip planned, can you tell us the day before?'

Not sure now if we should wait or go ahead and tell then New Years. I really want to show them things on Allure since there's so much (but the name not known to them as say Disney cruise)....and want to discuss ports and stuff. I've already booked one excursion and entertainment.

When do you all tell your kids...especially if they are say, 12 and younger?

Edited by LuCruise

We did a surprise announcement as part of an Easter egg hunt for a June vacation a couple years back.

DD started the count-down, and was soooooooo excited .

Get back to us how you did yours.

Enjoy

Making their childhood memories is precious.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I disagree with DH as I think the excitement of the trip is fun in itself. And I'm still working out what to do in 2 or our 3 ports, so they can give input to that.

My hesitation now is DS's comment. He doesn't know of our trip, and thinks we wouldn't have anything planned since we were just away in the summer...but he did make that comment ''next time we have a trip planned...".

But I agree. When we went to Disney World last year, we told our kids about 6 weeks before. When we told them, we got our DD (5 years at the time) a calendar and every night she would cross the day off her calendar as a countdown. She still uses a calendar for regular events (friend parties, shows, birthdays, etc)

As for school, we probably only need to tell them 1 to 2 weeks ahead since the teacher wouldn't know the lesson plan much further ahead than that.

Lioness, that sounds like such a fun way to tell them.

PS - The only downside is if we had to cancel for whatever reason. Last year I had some health issues with my eyes, so there is always the risk that it'll re-occur...or any other unknowns.

Edited by LuCruise

We are taking our boys on their first cruise in February. For Christmas we will be telling them we are going on a vacation to Florida, that way they will be excited and can count down but we aren't going to tell them we are going on a cruise till the day of that way they can have an extra surprise and the excitement that goes with it.

We are taking our boys on their first cruise in February. For Christmas we will be telling them we are going on a vacation to Florida, that way they will be excited and can count down but we aren't going to tell them we are going on a cruise till the day of that way they can have an extra surprise and the excitement that goes with it.

Very cool. So they won't be suspicious if they see suitcases and you tell the school...but will still get a surprise.

I'm still leaning towards New Years eve...perhaps get them calendars for next year and I'll add a special entry in there in April and have them find it. Not sure yet...but that's my current thought.

Very cool. So they won't be suspicious if they see suitcases and you tell the school...but will still get a surprise.

I'm still leaning towards New Years eve...perhaps get them calendars for next year and I'll add a special entry in there in April and have them find it. Not sure yet...but that's my current thought.

A few years ago we gave our kids a trip to Disney for Christmas but we weren't actually going until February. They were excited and had fun counting down but it wasn't like the excitement you see in videos people post. I think that was because to them over a month away is a long time and hard to imagine that it will go fast. So this year we decided to try it this way so hopefully they will have that huge excitement the day we tell them we are actually going on a cruise. They've always wanted to go with us on one.

I'm taking two of my grandkids on a Spring Break cruise. I'm telling them at Christmas. They will be 11 and 8 at the time of the cruise. I am taking their carry on suitcases that they use for overnights at our house. I am filling it with cruise stuff and will wrap it and have it underneath the tree.

Things we are putting in: I made a cruise card with their name and cabin. Jewelry for her to wear. I'm making a binder. I got door (car) magnets for each of them that will go on the cabin door. They are both bull riding. It says Crown Princess, Spring Break. That will go in the front of the binder. The binder will have pictures of the ship, where we are going etc. Included will be a disposable underwater cameras, bathing suit with cover up and flip flops, goggles, nose plugs. Live savers (cos who doesn't need a live saver at sea?), bubbles to blow at sail away, a deck of cards from Princess, Luggage tags with their name and ship name, a cup/mug for their hot chocolate, bingo daubers, the drink package cup for DGD because she won't get the package. Oh, and the lanyard things. For DGD she will also get some Princess charms for a new bracelet. The Christmas tree will have Princess ornaments.

The kids like to have anticipation as much as the adults. I'm letting the 11 YO choose what we do in San Diego. I'm sure mom will make a countdown calendar for them.

It is a challenge to come up with stuff but it will be fun to have them unwrap it. Now, they were going anyway cos I'm tired after having them for a week. Two weeks last summer and we were exhausted. Heck, my DH didn't even flinch when I told him the plan and he's cheap! I needed things to do so I colored her hair Little Mermaid red and his Grinch green :D. They have the Mexican gene so we had to strip their hair color out to wheat color. I guess I forgot to tell their dad. Oops :eek:. I took them horse back riding, the county fair... I spent a fortune. This is SO much easier.

The other upside.... when my DD annoys me I can remind the kids it is almost time to go :D.

A few years ago we gave our kids a trip to Disney for Christmas but we weren't actually going until February. They were excited and had fun counting down but it wasn't like the excitement you see in videos people post. I think that was because to them over a month away is a long time and hard to imagine that it will go fast. So this year we decided to try it this way so hopefully they will have that huge excitement the day we tell them we are actually going on a cruise. They've always wanted to go with us on one.

Please report back and let us know their reaction. What an amazing surprise, and I do see the side or wanting to tell them last minute too.

I'm taking two of my grandkids on a Spring Break cruise. I'm telling them at Christmas. They will be 11 and 8 at the time of the cruise. I am taking their carry on suitcases that they use for overnights at our house. I am filling it with cruise stuff and will wrap it and have it underneath the tree.

Things we are putting in: I made a cruise card with their name and cabin. Jewelry for her to wear. I'm making a binder. I got door (car) magnets for each of them that will go on the cabin door. They are both bull riding. It says Crown Princess, Spring Break. That will go in the front of the binder. The binder will have pictures of the ship, where we are going etc. Included will be a disposable underwater cameras, bathing suit with cover up and flip flops, goggles, nose plugs. Live savers (cos who doesn't need a live saver at sea?), bubbles to blow at sail away, a deck of cards from Princess, Luggage tags with their name and ship name, a cup/mug for their hot chocolate, bingo daubers, the drink package cup for DGD because she won't get the package. Oh, and the lanyard things. For DGD she will also get some Princess charms for a new bracelet. The Christmas tree will have Princess ornaments.

The kids like to have anticipation as much as the adults. I'm letting the 11 YO choose what we do in San Diego. I'm sure mom will make a countdown calendar for them.

It is a challenge to come up with stuff but it will be fun to have them unwrap it. Now, they were going anyway cos I'm tired after having them for a week. Two weeks last summer and we were exhausted. Heck, my DH didn't even flinch when I told him the plan and he's cheap! I needed things to do so I colored her hair Little Mermaid red and his Grinch green :D. They have the Mexican gene so we had to strip their hair color out to wheat color. I guess I forgot to tell their dad. Oops :eek:. I took them horse back riding, the county fair... I spent a fortune. This is SO much easier.

The other upside.... when my DD annoys me I can remind the kids it is almost time to go :D.

Great way to tell them. Makes my calendar idea seem kind of silly. :D

Us too....although my DS said he would like a surprise, but I want them to be involved. (And it's been almost a year since we booked so I'm tired of keeping a secret..lol). Our kids are similar ages when we cruise (DS a couple weeks away from turning 11 and DD 6.5 years, but only 2 months away from turning 7). And like you, I'd like them to have input into our ports that are not currently booked.

Ha ha---true about the 'threat' about the upcoming vacation.

Edited by LuCruise

When we were looking at booking a cruise we involved our kids in selecting which cruise we were going to do. (We settled on a 7 day out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride). This was in July for a cruise this coming February. They are now all excited that there is less than 100 days to go. (This will be there first cruise)

Joey