"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

[quote name='TM38Rob']Royal Caribbean is too busy trying to copy Disney and Norwegian that they've lost sight of the land based all-inclusive resorts at the islands they may visit. They've been moving from AI to a la carte for some time now. All-inclusive means all meals, all drinks, all entertainment are included in the price. Royal Caribbean only includes some beverages like water & lemonade, and advertises that most meals are covered in the cruise fare.

Not sure about alcohol, but I've heard soda was included in the price as far back as 2000. Johnny Rockets was "complimentary" back when it debuted. 24 hour Room Service was included when I first sailed them in 2008. The MDR also had quality food.

Today, Coke is sold by the can or buy a package for fountain soda. Alcohol is sold by the drink, and drink packages are now available. The quality of steaks went down when they introduced options to purchase steaks from Chops Grille while dining in the MDR, even on ships without a Chops Grille! The service charge was added to Johnny Rockets supposedly because kids and teens were ordering meals and then leaving JR before the food arrived. Room Service now has a service charge from midnight to 6AM because people would fall asleep before they arrived with the food.

The Cupcake Cupboard was introduced with a $5 fee to control demand for the product and NOT to make an extra profit, according to a former Royal Caribbean VP. If they can find an excuse, they will use it to their advantage.

In another thread about the Classics menu (Always available menu currently in the MDR) [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094196[/URL]; the response received about if there would one with Dynamic Dining is The American Icon Grill and Chops Grille. Customer service is already trying to get people who don't like the menus in the foodie-type "complementary" restaurants to pay extra for simple food in Chops. Already proving the point that Dynamic Dining is just a ploy to get more people to eat in specialty restaurants.

Don't be surprised if you see a more detailed invoice when booking a cruise in the future, with the cruise fare showing the amount for the stateroom and another price for the "complementary" food.

On ships with Dynamic Dining, people's choices are limited to their tastes. Coastal Kitchen is for suites only. Chic and Silk appeal to a limited audience. While The Grande's dress code enforcement may get toned downed, many newbies (or casual cruisers) may avoid this restaurant if they THINK is will be strictly enforced. That leaves them with the American Icon Grill. If the American Icon Grill (or any of the other "complementary" restaurants) gets to be too popular and the extra charge restaurants don't see a significant increase in diners, then you might see a charge for that restaurant (American Icon Grill) to "control demand" and "not to make an extra profit". Maybe your first reservation at that restaurant will be $0 when booking, but eat their again and pay $10 a visit ($20 at first, but then lowered to $10 when people complain). Many people might not notice the one in front of the zero and think it's still "complementary", until they get the bill at the end of the cruise.

Next will be a surcharge to book in advance. Then, to compete with the land based Disney Dining Plan, Royal Caribbean will offer the Royal Dining Plan. Instead of a "Kids Sail Free" promotion (currently 3rd and 4th person "free"), the promotion will be Kids Eat Free when you purchase the Royal Dining Plan six months in advance. Couples, we'll offer you Buy One Royal Dining Plan and get 50% the second one. Singles, what do you mean you're not sailing with anyone else? We don't want your business (we want your business, but we want you to bring somebody with you). That's why we are running the BOGOHO promotion and only charging couples 150% while we gouge you for 200%. Now we'll give you double C&A points, but you are going to dine alone. We assumed you wanted solitude. Also, no discount for you on the already "valued" Royal Dining Plan we offer to everyone else not sailing solo because you could get somebody to sail with you and (not necessary) spend more money onboard.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....of course there would be variations, and time frames that would gradually transit ion over...so slow not many would notice right away.

When the Oasis first came, my Boss who is a very seasoned cruiser came away back then and said this was exactly what they were setting up for in the future.

[quote name='TM38Rob']

In another thread about the Classics menu (Always available menu currently in the MDR) [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094196[/URL]; the response received about if there would one with Dynamic Dining is The American Icon Grill and Chops Grille. Customer service is already trying to get people who don't like the menus in the foodie-type "complementary" restaurants to pay extra for simple food in Chops. Already proving the point that Dynamic Dining is just a ploy to get more people to eat in specialty restaurants.

Don't be surprised if you see a more detailed invoice when booking a cruise in the future, with the cruise fare showing the amount for the stateroom and another price for the "complementary" food.

On ships with Dynamic Dining, people's choices are limited to their tastes. Coastal Kitchen is for suites only. Chic and Silk appeal to a limited audience. While The Grande's dress code enforcement may get toned downed, many newbies (or casual cruisers) may avoid this restaurant if they THINK is will be strictly enforced. That leaves them with the American Icon Grill. If the American Icon Grill (or any of the other "complementary" restaurants) gets to be too popular and the extra charge restaurants don't see a significant increase in diners, then you might see a charge for that restaurant (American Icon Grill) to "control demand" and "not to make an extra profit". Maybe your first reservation at that restaurant will be $0 when booking, but eat their again and pay $10 a visit ($20 at first, but then lowered to $10 when people complain). Many people might not notice the one in front of the zero and think it's still "complementary", until they get the bill at the end of the cruise.

Next will be a surcharge to book in advance. Then, to compete with the land based Disney Dining Plan, Royal Caribbean will offer the Royal Dining Plan. Instead of a "Kids Sail Free" promotion (currently 3rd and 4th person "free"), the promotion will be Kids Eat Free when you purchase the Royal Dining Plan six months in advance. Couples, we'll offer you Buy One Royal Dining Plan and get 50% the second one. Singles, what do you mean you're not sailing with anyone else? We don't want your business (we want your business, but we want you to bring somebody with you). That's why we are running the BOGOHO promotion and only charging couples 150% while we gouge you for 200%. Now we'll give you double C&A points, but you are going to dine alone. We assumed you wanted solitude. Also, no discount for you on the already "valued" Royal Dining Plan we offer to everyone else not sailing solo because you could get somebody to sail with you and (not necessary) spend more money onboard.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]They could just call their next new ship the Spirit (Air) of the Seas!:eek::rolleyes::eek:[/SIZE]

[quote name='TM38Rob']Royal Caribbean is too busy trying to copy Disney and Norwegian that they've lost sight of the land based all-inclusive resorts at the islands they may visit. They've been moving from AI to a la carte for some time now. All-inclusive means all meals, all drinks, all entertainment are included in the price. Royal Caribbean only includes some beverages like water & lemonade, and advertises that most meals are covered in the cruise fare.

Not sure about alcohol, but I've heard soda was included in the price as far back as 2000. Johnny Rockets was "complimentary" back when it debuted. 24 hour Room Service was included when I first sailed them in 2008. The MDR also had quality food.

Today, Coke is sold by the can or buy a package for fountain soda. Alcohol is sold by the drink, and drink packages are now available. The quality of steaks went down when they introduced options to purchase steaks from Chops Grille while dining in the MDR, even on ships without a Chops Grille! The service charge was added to Johnny Rockets supposedly because kids and teens were ordering meals and then leaving JR before the food arrived. Room Service now has a service charge from midnight to 6AM because people would fall asleep before they arrived with the food.

The Cupcake Cupboard was introduced with a $5 fee to control demand for the product and NOT to make an extra profit, according to a former Royal Caribbean VP. If they can find an excuse, they will use it to their advantage.

If RCI does, in fact, implement this scheme, what would be RCI's strategy to convince cruisers not to go to the all inclusive land resorts or to switch to other cruise lines?

If this post is any indication, it would appear you have a rather low opinion of RCI. Why do you sail with a line that treats you this way?

[quote name='TM38Rob']While The Grande's dress code enforcement may get toned downed, many newbies (or casual cruisers) may avoid this restaurant if they THINK is will be strictly enforced. [/quote]

You've obviously never met the "Royal Order of the Teeming Millions of Worshipers of the Geriatric Prom!"

I know it's another day's topic, but there is a subset of people around here that firmly believe that the vast majority of cruisers prefer formal nights (that being: tuxes & ball gowns) to the riff-raff Wal-Mart flip-flops & tank top nights they see Royal turning into.

My comment, since the Grande was announced, has been that attendance at this restaurant will provide a clearly defined and absolutely definitive look at these numbers in a real world situation. If you can't book a table in the Grande, you will know these people are correct. If you have to shout to reach the person at the next occupied table, then formal attire dining is a dinosaur of the past.

We will have to wait and see. My initial gut reaction is that the Grande will probably go to [B]much less[/B] than formal attire very shortly after introductory cruises have come and gone. However, I could be completely off.

[quote name='poncho1973']You've obviously never met the "Royal Order of the Teeming Millions of Worshipers of the Geriatric Prom!"

I know it's another day's topic, but there is a subset of people around here that firmly believe that the vast majority of cruisers prefer formal nights (that being: tuxes & ball gowns) to the riff-raff Wal-Mart flip-flops & tank top nights they see Royal turning into.

My comment, since the Grande was announced, has been that attendance at this restaurant will provide a clearly defined and absolutely definitive look at these numbers in a real world situation. If you can't book a table in the Grande, you will know these people are correct. If you have to shout to reach the person at the next occupied table, then formal attire dining is a dinosaur of the past.

We will have to wait and see. My initial gut reaction is that the Grande will probably go to [B]much less[/B] than formal attire very shortly after introductory cruises have come and gone. However, I could be completely off.[/QUOTE]

I think you're correct about how the Grande will provide real-world data about the actual popularity of formal nights. And, before someone starts quoting Cruise Critic polling data about how much we all love formal night, those polls are only reflective of the small percentage of cruisers who've even heard of this website and the data is likely highly skewed.

Wife and I became huge fans of Dynamic Dining when we heard about the Grande. We don't like formal nights. We do not like being told to go to the buffet if we don't want to dress up. We are thrilled that those who do will have their own special place. We are even more thrilled that we will no longer hear the words "Formal Night".

[quote name='poncho1973']You've obviously never met the "Royal Order of the Teeming Millions of Worshipers of the Geriatric Prom!"

We will have to wait and see. My initial gut reaction is that the Grande will probably go to [B]much less[/B] than formal attire very shortly after introductory cruises have come and gone. However, I could be completely off.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that if the Grande is a failure will indicate that formal attire is a dinosaur. In my opinion it is a lot easier to dress formally when the majority of the other passengers are as well. However with DD, only those going to Grande will be dressed up, which may cause some to feel uncomfortable being in formal wear when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually. This could cause those that do enjoy formal night to skip going to the Grande.

[quote name='brfan']I'm not so sure about that if the Grande is a failure will indicate that formal attire is a dinosaur. In my opinion it is a lot easier to dress formally when the majority of the other passengers are as well. However with DD, only those going to Grande will be dressed up, which may cause some to feel uncomfortable being in formal wear when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually. This could cause those that do enjoy formal night to skip going to the Grande.[/QUOTE]

Why should anyone have the right to make others dress in a manner they find uncomfortable just so they will feel comfortable?

[quote name='RocketMan275']If RCI does, in fact, implement this scheme, what would be RCI's strategy to convince cruisers not to go to the all inclusive land resorts or to switch to other cruise lines?

If this post is any indication, it would appear you have a rather low opinion of RCI. Why do you sail with a line that treats you this way?[/quote]
I have a low opinion of eliminating the MDR altogether with DD and being forced into MTD. The bombshell of Dynamic Dining was dropped after I had booked my last and upcoming cruises. I enjoy the "Gold Anchor Service" provided by the staff and crew onboard the ships and also enjoy CocoCay. I was considering sailing Freedom Eastern Caribbean next year to get back to CocoCay and finally go to St. Maarten. Now that they've cancelled most January cruises and sending her into an early dry dock to add DD and butcher the nightclub up to add another extra charge restaurant, I've decided not to book that cruise. I'm thinking about Enchantment of the Seas to get to CocoCay and/or another ship with maybe another cruise line to get to St. Maarten. My future with RCL is TBD.

As for my assessment; RCL is not an all-inclusive and is moving closer to an a la carte/meal plan type system that is in place at the land based Walt Disney World Resort. While they may have been competing with Sandals, Breezes, and Club Med type resorts in the 1980s and 1990s; today they are competing with Disney and Norwegian to get business not already going to Carnival. Just using the hindsight of history and foresight of what they plan to offer.

RCL has had a superior product in the past, so they're confident people will come back when they experience the competition. RCL is trying to tap into untapped markets and lately are taking their "bread and butter" repeat cruisers for granted with all the changes. The C&A people may leave and come back (which RCL is banking on), however, they may leave again for good when they realize what they had is gone at RCL (which I don't think RCL has taking into consideration). Edited by TM38Rob

[quote name='RocketMan275']If RCI does, in fact, implement this scheme, what would be RCI's strategy to convince cruisers not to go to the all inclusive land resorts or to switch to other cruise lines?

If this post is any indication, it would appear you have a rather low opinion of RCI. Why do you sail with a line that treats you this way?[/quote]

Th same reason Disney packs them in 365 days a year...
Except with RCI you have free Ice Shows, WOW entertainment, Water slides and swimming pools, night clubs, casinos, carousels, flow riders, bumper cars, ice skating, rock climbing, adventure ocean, the north star, ripcord, high diving water shows, signature restaurants, parades, and on and on and on....

On top of all that you are on a big luxury ship where possibly every morning you wake up in a different port, possibly a different country to explore.

Some people would not call this cruising, but that is what cruising has become. And it gets more popular all the time with bigger and newer ships coming out on a regular basis....and they still pack them in....

Lets face it, it has been changing right under everyone's noses and it will continue to change. This whole dining thing and magic bands are one more thing the traditionalists can be uncomfortable about, the same as others have been uncomfortable with all the other changes that have been going on the last years.... Edited by B-52

[quote name='brfan']I'm not so sure about that if the Grande is a failure will indicate that formal attire is a dinosaur. In my opinion it is a lot easier to dress formally when the majority of the other passengers are as well. However with DD, only those going to Grande will be dressed up, which may cause some to feel uncomfortable being in formal wear when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually. This could cause those that do enjoy formal night to skip going to the Grande.[/QUOTE]

This is me! Although I like to attend elegant/formal nights I wont get dressed up for DD on a whim of my choosing:)

[quote name='brfan']I'm not so sure about that if the Grande is a failure will indicate that formal attire is a dinosaur. In my opinion it is a lot easier to dress formally when the majority of the other passengers are as well. However with DD, only those going to Grande will be dressed up, which may cause some to feel uncomfortable being in formal wear when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually. This could cause those that do enjoy formal night to skip going to the Grande.[/quote]

HUH????? How does that logic work?

What that indicates is that people who then no longer wear formal attire were only doing it because they were made to feel it was obligatory.

I'm not sure the stretch that people will now not wear it because they feel weird is the most likely assumption that could be made from that scenario.

HOWEVER, the many supporters of formal dining here on CC do not agree with one basic premise of your post. The phrase "when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually" is the opposite of what they believe. Many supporters have stated that this is a small group of heathens, who are ruining it for everyone else.

Thanks to a few polls on an online forum and some very focused cruise data, many supporters are under the belief that most people LOVE dressing formally.

"On my 15-day Trans-Atlantic cruise during the school year, where the average cruisers were 65+ year old retirees, we noticed that almost everyone was dressed in a very formal way. So, everyone on every cruise loves to dress formally! Bingo and shuffleboard are the most popular things to do on a cruise ship! No one uses the pools after 2pm and early dining is the only dining anyone likes! Kiddie pools should be removed from the ships, because I never saw them being used."

That's like me taking a poll of fifty 9-year old boys in the Midwest U.S. and asking them the popularity of Pokeman, then taking that data and making a blanket statement that everyone, worldwide found Pokeman to be the most popular & interesting item of the year. It doesn't mean that it's not, it just means my method of determining that wasn't very smart.

The Grande will be a real-world test. Soon we will all know the answer!

[quote name='poncho1973']HUH????? How does that logic work?

What that indicates is that people who then no longer wear formal attire were only doing it because they were made to feel it was obligatory.

I'm not sure the stretch that people will now not wear it because they feel weird is the most likely assumption that could be made from that scenario.

HOWEVER, the many supporters of formal dining here on CC do not agree with one basic premise of your post. The phrase "when the majority of the other passengers are dressed casually" is the opposite of what they believe. Many supporters have stated that this is a small group of heathens, who are ruining it for everyone else.

Thanks to a few polls on an online forum and some very focused cruise data, many supporters are under the belief that most people LOVE dressing formally.

"On my 15-day Trans-Atlantic cruise during the school year, where the average cruisers were 65+ year old retirees, we noticed that almost everyone was dressed in a very formal way. So, everyone on every cruise loves to dress formally! Bingo and shuffleboard are the most popular things to do on a cruise ship! No one uses the pools after 2pm and early dining is the only dining anyone likes! Kiddie pools should be removed from the ships, because I never saw them being used."

That's like me taking a poll of fifty 9-year old boys in the Midwest U.S. and asking them the popularity of Pokeman, then taking that data and making a blanket statement that everyone, worldwide found Pokeman to be the most popular & interesting item of the year. It doesn't mean that it's not, it just means my method of determining that wasn't very smart.

The Grande will be a real-world test. Soon we will all know the answer![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you.some people hate dressing formal. Others love it. I'm 30. I personally love getting dressed nice and could care less what everyone else is wearing. I know I look good. :cool:
Formal night or no formal night if there is a venue with formal wear I'm there. Maybe night every night but a few.
I'm doing the oasis transatlantic back to ft lauderdale. I have 150CP booked for 4 nights also. Which will be formal.

Although the word formal is used when stating dress for "Grande", the description of what should be worn is quite different:

[COLOR="Red"]Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.[/COLOR]

[quote name='B-52']Th same reason Disney packs them in 365 days a year...
Except with RCI you have free Ice Shows, WOW entertainment, Water slides and swimming pools, night clubs, casinos, carousels, flow riders, bumper cars, ice skating, rock climbing, adventure ocean, the north star, ripcord, high diving water shows, signature restaurants, parades, and on and on and on....

On top of all that you are on a big luxury ship where possibly every morning you wake up in a different port, possibly a different country to explore.

Some people would not call this cruising, but that is what cruising has become. And it gets more popular all the time with bigger and newer ships coming out on a regular basis....and they still pack them in....

Lets face it, it has been changing right under everyone's noses and it will continue to change. This whole dining thing and magic bands are one more thing the traditionalists can be uncomfortable about, the same as others have been uncomfortable with all the other changes that have been going on the last years....[/QUOTE]

That RCI might be using WDW as a business model had not occurred to me. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for sharing.

[quote name='RocketMan275']That RCI might be using WDW as a business model had not occurred to me. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE]

We'll be returning to Disney after a 20 year hiatus. I am completely disgusted with the ropes I have to jump to make it happen. Purchase park passes, reserve fast passes, wear a bracelet and plan every meal to make it happen.
If I hadn't already committed to a friend that I would join her, I would bail now.
This is not a vacation to me. It's work and a lot of it.
I can't imagine trying to secure dining reservations on a Med cruise..I spent hour upon hour researching ports, excursions, exchange rates, hotels pre and post cruise.
If I had DD dining last year, I would have lost it.

[quote name='celebrity']We'll be returning to Disney after a 20 year hiatus. I am completely disgusted with the ropes I have to jump to make it happen. Purchase park passes, reserve fast passes, wear a bracelet and plan every meal to make it happen.
If I hadn't already committed to a friend that I would join her, I would bail now.
This is not a vacation to me. It's work and a lot of it.
I can't imagine trying to secure dining reservations on a Med cruise..I spent hour upon hour researching ports, excursions, exchange rates, hotels pre and post cruise.
If I had DD dining last year, I would have lost it.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm a little confused. At Disney, you don't have to reserve fast passes, you don't have to wear a bracelet, and you don't have to plan any meals. What makes you think you do?

HHHHMMMMMMMMM!!! Whilst stroking my long grey beard which hangs to my rotund belly. Since when did this turn into like or dislike formal night? BTW/We like formal night as we live 50 miles from a major city here and seldom get to dress up. Don't care who like it, don't care if you dress up or wear your barn clothes. You are always welcome at my table.If you feel uncomfortable it's because you fell guilt for not dressing properly. LOL

[quote name='beachnative']Although the word formal is used when stating dress for "Grande", the description of what should be worn is quite different:

[COLOR="Red"]Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes its been posted before but a good reminder:)

The Grande is not a formal wear only venue and far from it!

A sports shirt with sleeves or a sweater and a jacket is not even "Collar and Tie" so far from formal, just the same as it is now on formal nights.

Only the difference is at present all formal style is on the same days for all, I wear a Tux on formal nights but with DD will possibly no longer bother, I could just wear a collar and tie or collar and jacket in the Grande and still be over dressed :)

Why? If you enjoy formal clothes why would what other people wear make it easier or in this case not easier to wear them. Edited by woodyren

[quote name='woodyren']Why? If you enjoy formal clothes why would what other people wear make it easier or in this case not easier to wear them.[/QUOTE]

Because people don't usually like to stick out like a sore thumb. When there is an "official" formal evening, most passengers do dress up. But with DD only those that will be going to Grande will be dressed up. I was just saying that some who enjoy formal wear may choose not to because they don't want feel like they're the only ones dressed up. It will be kind of the opposite as to the way it is now with formal nights, where those that opt to dress in shorts and t shirts may feel uncomfortable being surrounded by fancy dresses and suits.

[quote name='brfan']Because people don't usually like to stick out like a sore thumb. When there is an "official" formal evening, most passengers do dress up. But with DD only those that will be going to Grande will be dressed up. I was just saying that some who enjoy formal wear may choose not to because they don't want feel like they're the only ones dressed up. It will be kind of the opposite as to the way it is now with formal nights, where those that opt to dress in shorts and t shirts may feel uncomfortable being surrounded by fancy dresses and suits.[/QUOTE]

I used to feel that way. One time we were invited to a function and we dressed for the occasion. When we arrived, we discovered that the hosts decided to dress down but my MIL
didn't send us the memo. :(
I turned to DH and said, " I feel so out of place being dressed up."
He said, " I feel great, we look better than everyone else here. "
I fully intend to go all out in formal attire.
Attitude is everything. :)

[quote name='time4u2go']I guess I'm a little confused. At Disney, you don't have to reserve fast passes, you don't have to wear a bracelet, and you don't have to plan any meals. What makes you think you do?[/QUOTE]

My travel partner is planning the trip and said I have to.

[quote name='brfan']Because people don't usually like to stick out like a sore thumb. When there is an "official" formal evening, most passengers do dress up. But with DD only those that will be going to Grande will be dressed up. I was just saying that some who enjoy formal wear may choose not to because they don't want feel like they're the only ones dressed up. It will be kind of the opposite as to the way it is now with formal nights, where those that opt to dress in shorts and t shirts may feel uncomfortable being surrounded by fancy dresses and suits.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you! I always wear a Tux on formals but cant see myself doing so without dedicated formal nights.

The Grande dress requirements are not formal so the odd few traditionalists who do dress formal when there is no need to will indeed stick out like a sore thumb each night!

I never wear a Tux on land unless it is a dedicated black tie event and they are very few and far between but on a cruise even the mood lighting music and drink choices change for formals! Those dressing up for the Grande will be in a huge minority sipping champagne before dinner next to beer swillers dancing away on the spot to Caribbean or top 20 style music with uncontrolled kids weaving in and out getting ice cream or pizza on your cloths lol:D:D:D