Only shop preferred jewelers in Cozumel. Buyer Beware!

hintonda01

Future cruisers: While in Cozumel Mexico, do not shop at Moon and Sun Silver Factory which is located next to the preferred shopping district in downtown Cozumel, which is the area noted by Royal Caribbean during their shopping seminar.

We were confused and thought this was part of the preferred shopping area, due to the proximity of the jewelry store named Moon and Sun Silver Factory to the other preferred jewelers.

We just purchased a necklace on December 11, 2014, which was supposed to be green opals. Our local jeweler confirmed that the stones are synthetic and not real. Thank goodness we did not pay cash and are now disputing the charge with our bank. $300.00 out of pocket for a $50.00 piece of faux jewelry. Buyer beware!!

It's buyer beware everywhere. But that is a great headline for the company though - couldn't have been better composed by the port shopping managers themselves. [emoji57]

Yeah:D I don't think we've ever made a point to shop at the "preferred shops" and never been burned. We have a close friend who's a jeweler at home and he's always verified we purchased quality goods.

That said, sorry the OP was apparently ripped off:(

That is great advice. My wife always go to the shopping shows while on board and we learned a great deal of advice and good tips to tell you what stores to go to and what stores to avoid. Its always a good sign when you see the girl from the shopping show in the actual store in cozmuel you are shopping in

Edited by trev71

That is great advice. My wife always go to the shopping shows while on board and we learned a great deal of advice and good tips to tell you what stores to go to and what stores to avoid. Its always a good sign when you see the girl from the shopping show in the actual store in cozmuel you are shopping in

Yes, it shows that the store paid to be featured by the ship. It doesn't necessarily show that they have good merchandise.

Sorry to hear of your purchase :(

I swore off buying anything from Cozumel on my last two visits. Reason being is that I priced out the exact same Breitling watch I purchased elsewhere and Little Switz wanted 1500.00 more than what I paid. I also priced out several pairs of sunglasses that I purchased, and in Cozumel they were higher in price.

If there is something I want, I will definitely price it out and educate myself before buying something there. I prefer not to buy at all.

She's there protecting her commission;)

I'm sorry but that is just too funny :D Sure, go where the cruise line tells you to, and they and the jeweler can make more money off you...........:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that is just too funny :D Sure, go where the cruise line tells you to, and they and the jeweler can make more money off you...........:rolleyes:

Well put!!!!

In case anyone was in doubt, the comments on this forum reinforce the old axiom: "There's a sucker born every minute!"

While on a land based vacation to Playa del Carmen - before we were introduced to cruising - we took the ferry across to Cozumel for the day. We were a little puzzled to see the signs in the shop windows welcoming passengers from various cruise ships (and very impressed to see the large vessels anchored in the port).

After purchasing a pair of earrings in one of the stores we were asked what ship we were on. I can still see the expression on the face of the clerk when I replied "oh, we came over on the ferry".

It was only after we took our first cruise that I realized the importance the ships play in the local economies of the Caribbean countries.

Not really, when you also do your research before you go. Ive priced a certain type of watch that is still 20% cheaper here in Canada then the caribbean. Ive haggled at a few of them places too. Everyone makes money off everyone. Doesnt bother me at all. Long as the boss is happy. I can honnetly say we never got scammed buying jewerly though. Id never pay 2000$ for any type of jewerly in the caribbean. The stuff we bought was only in the range of 150$. I am no fool

Edited by trev71

Just me, but I've never had the urge to make a big purchase like that in Mexico. Actually, I'd never make a big purchase like that in any foreign country. There are too many variables, too many things that could go wrong, and no easy way to resolve the matter if you end up not liking or getting what you paid for. I think the most I've ever spent was in Cozumel. $65 on a silver and opal bracelet (I did a bit of negotiating). My jeweler at home later assessed its value at $100, but that wasn't a big deal to me--I just liked the way it looked.

:D