Sensitive eyes

margeecruiser

I am having trouble with my eye make up. I have been using Merle Norman for 40 years, but lately my eyes swell and itch terribly when I use shadow and mascara. This just started about 2-3 months ago. I've tried hypo-allergic mascara from Almay, but with the eye shadow, I don't know which product is causing the problem.

Does anyone have experience with Clinique? My sister and daughter both use Clinique.

I don't want to go bare naked, even though I'm in my 70's. I have always worn full face and eye make up, since I worked in a professional office during my working years.

I don't recognize the lady in the mirror, looks like my mother! Lol:D

Margee

Go to the eye doctor...you could have clogged meobian glands (sorry about spelling !) That's what happened to me! Itchy and red...just awful! Or, just a small infection!

Get checked, before you start with all new stuff!!!

And, I know what you mean...I'm my mom, too!

Edited by cb at sea

My mom is older than you, but her eyes have become very sensitive and they tend to get dry. She has prescription eye drops, but pretty much every product irritates her eyes. She does use Clinique and find it causes the fewest problems.

I'm there with the Urban Decay recommendation. I have horribly sensitive eyes. I use the UD 24/7 eyeliner pencils and some eyeshadows from the Naked collections. Since I changed to these, I'm not rubbing my eyes. Don't be afraid of all the color choices and think you're too old for it. They have some very nice basic colors. The Naked collections are good. I have the palette Naked 3 and a solo of Naked. For eyeliners, I go in 2 color directions, browns and purples. Whiskey is a good basic brown, and go from there to Bourbon, Roach, Crash. Purples - I like Ransom, Empire, Vice. Black I have Zero and Demolition.

Now, I also have to be verrrrrry careful of my mascara, too. So far, the Blinc mascara works best for me.

The UD eyeshadow primer works well to keep things where you put them. The Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer works great, too.

Edited by slidergirl

Sephora and Ulta both have Urban Decay also available online. The 24-7 pencils are wonderfully soft & smooth, glide on. You do need eye makeup remover to remove it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guest maddycat
Go to the eye doctor...you could have clogged meobian glands (sorry about spelling !) That's what happened to me! Itchy and red...just awful! Or, just a small infection!

Get checked, before you start with all new stuff!!!

And, I know what you mean...I'm my mom, too!

I second your recommendation. However, I'd go to a dermatologist. You could have ocular rosacea. If left untreated it could lead to blindness.

If it turns out that you are just sensitive, then try another hypoallergenic brand of cosmetics. If you are not satisfied with Clinique you can return it for a refund. I've been using Clinique lipstick for years. I decided to try a new color in a different formula. It irritated my lips so I returned it to the store where I bought it for a full refund. I'm back to using my original Clinique lipstick.

I would do a week long test and use only one of your regular eye cosmetics per day and figure out which one is causing your irritation. If you pile on 6 different products you will never figure out which one is causing the irritation. Sure it will seem awkward to not have on full face for a week, but it will help you narrow down what item is the culprit. Even if it is a product you have used for years the manufacturer may have changed the formula and a new ingredient is causing the problem.

The other thing I would be double sure of is that you thoroughly clean all your makeup brushes. I am grossed out when I hear that people don't regularly clean their brushes!

Thanks to all for your help. My eyes totally cleared up after about 5 days of no makeup. Tried only Almay mascara twice, no problems. Bought Clinique Touch Base for eye shadow. No problems. I will try some Clinique eye shadow when they have a sale. I did try some shadow on my forearm as a test with no problem.

I agree with keeping brushes clean. I always do.

I'm going to try shadow with no red pigments at all and go slowly. On the Clinique websight, they said red pigments cause most of the problems. I'm thinking of having just one shade applied at the Clinique counter over my Touch Base. I'm cheap -- I don't want to invest in a product that will cause problems. I now have 2 Merle Norman shadows that I only used once. I will see if I can get a refund or change to some face products.

Thanks again.

Margee

• 3 weeks later...

Some years ago, I developed an allergy to parabens, a class of preservatives that is in many cosmetic products, including those advertised as hypoallergenic. The symptoms were the swelling and itching you described. A prescription cortisone cream cleared it up, but it took tests at a dermatologist to determine what was causing it. Now I read labels and never use anything with parabens on my face.

If the problem flares up again, try products without parabens, such as mineral based cosmetics. Good luck!

Thanks for the info about parabens. I will watch for that. I haven't had any problems since I stopped using the new eye shadow in purple hues. Apparently, red pigments are the problem. This happened with both Clinique and Merle Norman. I am very careful to change my mascara every month so I don't have contamination problems.

I'm glad I can wear all my makeup during the holidays and my cruise in February!! I feel like myself again.

Margee

Thanks to all for your help. My eyes totally cleared up after about 5 days of no makeup. Tried only Almay mascara twice, no problems. Bought Clinique Touch Base for eye shadow. No problems. I will try some Clinique eye shadow when they have a sale. I did try some shadow on my forearm as a test with no problem.

I agree with keeping brushes clean. I always do.

I'm going to try shadow with no red pigments at all and go slowly. On the Clinique websight, they said red pigments cause most of the problems. I'm thinking of having just one shade applied at the Clinique counter over my Touch Base. I'm cheap -- I don't want to invest in a product that will cause problems. I now have 2 Merle Norman shadows that I only used once. I will see if I can get a refund or change to some face products.

Thanks again.

Margee

Margee

Great that it has cleared up. I know It gets expensive to toss and restart.

I have problems with sensitivity as well.

I had to throw everything out.

Started fresh.

Went to the eye dr when it happened - she said to toss everything and start over as well.

I went with almay when it happened.

Over time I learned to stick with one brand too.

I also clean my brushes regularly.

Bottle of brush cleanser lasts forever.

good luck!!!!!

Edited by tbbtravels

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in 60s & recently eyes & skin became very dry & irritated

I've been lucky with origins creams for skin & eyes. I also stopped using contacts, just stick to glasses

Even years back, the dry air onboard affected my eyes and skin. Moisturizer galore & drops for eyes work for me

Happy sailing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app