Ann Frank House

Hi,

We are on the Carnival Splendor,and will be in Amsterdam on the 11th July.

I have purchased tickets for the Ann Frank House and would like to know how far it is from the cruise terminal and what is the best way to get there,walk,taxi,bus etc.

Thanks.

Taffygirl

Hi,

I have purchased tickets for the Ann Frank House and would like to know how far it is from the cruise terminal and what is the best way to get there,walk,taxi,bus etc.

There's some great info in the following:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774466

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774940

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=759947

Hi,

Thanks.

Taffygirl

You can take tramnr 25(next tot the terminal) or 26 (in front of the terminal and more frequent) to Centraal Station, change there to 13 or 17 and get off at Westermarkt. This might take in total around 20 minutes, plus a few more minutes for the walk.

Cab would be 10 minutes, rate around E. 15.-

To walk all the way you need around 30-45 minutes.

Take the tram its the easy inexpensive way to go in Amsterdam. Ride it with the locals and other tourists. Get on the front with some change (aka small money) and tell the conductor what stop you want, exit from the middle or rear. Get a tram map ahead of time and an Amsterdam map. Those streets can have long names,but its easy to get around Amsterdam and fun. You will see a lot more if not timid about using the public transportation. To us riding the trams is part of the Amsterdam experience.

From the cruise terminal to Ann Frank House is a good walk while seeing some of the major attraction of this great city. As Ine said, it is about an hours walk but all along you will pass by some of the historic buildings and lots of scenic canals.

For details, map and lots of photographs of this route, go to http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

Hi all,

thanks so much for your help.

We will more than likely take the tram from the terminal.I have a booklet of Amsterdam and it has the street maps included.

As far as I can make out (from the map)I think that there may be a market not far from the house--am I right or wrong.I love shopping and markets in particular.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Taffygirl

lines can be long for tickets/entry to AF home ... depends on what time you arrive, etc. IF you can get a ship-shore tour, that might be the most efficient - definitle worth any visit/wait for the que, just be aware IF you see a line...Hope church bells ring whilst u r n the area....I always wonder if AF heard them, herself.....

Hi all,

thanks so much for your help.

We will more than likely take the tram from the terminal.I have a booklet of Amsterdam and it has the street maps included.

As far as I can make out (from the map)I think that there may be a market not far from the house--am I right or wrong.I love shopping and markets in particular.

Thanks again for your help.

The stop to get off the tram has the name Westermarkt, which doesnot mean there is a market.

On Monday you will find a nice market on Noordermarkt.

Shopping isnot that far away, at streets like Kalverstraat, Nieuwedijk (both near Dam) and Magna Plaza - a small shoppingcentre west of the Royal Palce.

Sorry about the double post. True lines can be extremely long. When we went were staying in AMS and went right when it opened and it was totally uncrowded. We have been past there when there was a long line down the sidewalk. I have never used a hand held GPS as much as I did in AMS. Like previously stated you can basically walk everywhere. To me its easy to get turned around as they street names are long. We watched many people standing at the corner of a streets with their maps trying to figure out which way to go. I would say at least take a compass to help figure out the maps.

The trams can seem difficult at first but really they are easy. This is a great time of the year to go to Amsterdam, and there is really no bad time. The weather should be wonderful and you will have about 16 & 1/2 hours from the time sun rises to the sun sets.

• 2 weeks later...
lines can be long for tickets/entry to AF home ... depends on what time you arrive' date=' etc. IF you can get a ship-shore tour, that might be the most efficient - definitle worth any visit/wait for the que, just be aware IF you see a line...Hope church bells ring whilst u r n the area....I always wonder if AF heard them, herself.....[/quote']

Do you have to wait in line if you have bought on-line tickets for a certain time?

Thanks,

Jancruz1

Do you have to wait in line if you have bought on-line tickets for a certain time?

Thanks,

Jancruz1

If you have made reservations on-line you donot need to wait. There is a special entrance for that.

If you have made reservations on-line you donot need to wait. There is a special entrance for that.

Thank you! I want to buy the tickets from here..but not if I had to wait in line!

Jancruz1

I want to buy the tickets from here..but not if I had to wait in line!

We pre-purchased tickets for AFH for a 9:30-10:30 entrance in early June. When we arrived, the special entrance was closed so we "skipped" the line & entered thru the main entrance. No problem. But once inside, we had to line up to have our etix processed & verified. This took about 20 min as we had to wait while 2 large groups were processed ahead of us (despite the fact that they arrived after us). There were only 2 ticket agents on duty & both were very frazzed. Our experience may have been unusual, but I wouldn't expect to walk right into AFH with etix in hand. But of course, AFH is extremely well done & well worth the wait.

Last June we docked, walked to Central Station (we could have taken the #25 tram) - bought our strip tickets and grabbed the #13 over to Anne Frank right away (we had (9:30 a.m. tickets) - went right through the side door, not wait inside for ticket verification, etc - very smooth, quick and easy!

Archived