Ultimate Beverage Package now $68 service charge

Booked the Escape with this free promo back in March, now there is a $68 service charge ( 7 day cruise) added per person for this "freebie" as of today. Glad I got it when I did. My cruise on Escape has gone up $300+ since booking in March. I know this has been mentioned before but just a heads up for those seeking this promo but missed the change.

Is the service charge the only additional fee? Wondering if NCL is still taking care of the 18% gratuities or if this is something we would have to cover. Seems the rules are changing too frequently. We were on the Getaway in May and really enjoyed the UBP. We didn't have to worry about any additional gratuities since it was included in the promo.

I think this is the 18% service charge. It wouldn't be worth it for us - my husband doesn't drink at all and we certainly don't need to drink that many sodas during the week. I wouldn't drink $136 worth of drinks - it's a good thing they give people the choice

the new promotion starting today for the UBP, you have to pay the 18% service charge on the cost of the UBP. So even though you get the actual UBP plan included, you pay the service charge. So for a 7-night cruise, the service charge is $136.08 for 2 people. It needs to be paid at or before final payment.

I think the Service Charge is the gratuity. I just re-booked this morning to change the May promotion I had to the June UBP and she told me that gratuity was not included. I was never told there was a service charge in addition to that.

For me, still a better deal than the $75 dining credit I had last month.

I don't think NCL should be allowed to advertise something is free when it is not

The dining package, the soda and the beverage package are NOT free

There is a charge

FALSE ADVERTISING

Just go to GS and subtract it from your DSC.

I don't think NCL should be allowed to advertise something is free when it is not

The dining package, the soda and the beverage package are NOT free

There is a charge

FALSE ADVERTISING

The beverage package is free, what you are paying is the service charge/gratuities and that is what is not free nor do they state that it is free.

It is clearly stated on their website (notice the asterisk):

ULTIMATE BEVERAGE PACKAGE

The first two guests can enjoy a drink (who are we kidding, drinks) for the whole cruise vacation for free. That's unlimited wine, soda, beer and cocktails priced under $11. Have another, we won't tell.*

*Service Charge added at time of booking (Excluding Suites & The Haven). For a 7-day cruise that charge is; Ultimate Dining-$21.42, Ultimate Beverage-$68.04, Soda Package-$8.19

Edited by NLH Arizona

Canceled and rebooked my Escape TA cruise today to get the free UBP. The 18% gratuity of $97.20 each (for a 10 day cruise) was added to the total amount we still owe.

We have Escape booked for May 2016 with free UBP. That reservation has not changed, so no gratuity needs to be paid on that one.

I am guessing they will not offer totally free UBP ever again now, since people would be mad I'm sure if they paid and others got it with grats included later on... sigh! :/

Eh. People are always upset over subsequent "better" promotions and price drops, so I don't think that is a factor here. I think that NCL simply doesn't want to pay the cost of the service charge, and don't want to shortchange the staff. This seems like a reasonable solution, and is still a great deal on the UBP. That said, if they don't get the bookings they hoped for off of this offer, they may reconsider in the future. Never say never.

I am guessing they will not offer totally free UBP ever again now, since people would be mad I'm sure if they paid and others got it with grats included later on... sigh! :/

I hate people like that.

I think the Service Charge is the gratuity. I just re-booked this morning to change the May promotion I had to the June UBP and she told me that gratuity was not included. I was never told there was a service charge in addition to that.

For me, still a better deal than the $75 dining credit I had last month.

Exactly...UBP, even with 18% service charge [which everyone else call a tip] is much better than $75 dining credit. And more likely to be enjoyed :D

I think this is the 18% service charge. It wouldn't be worth it for us - my husband doesn't drink at all and we certainly don't need to drink that many sodas during the week. I wouldn't drink $136 worth of drinks - it's a good thing they give people the choice

obviously, if one person doesn't drink at all it isn't worth it, but for many it is. We do drink, we enjoy a couple drinks a day and our wine, but we usually buy the wine package, so even for us, if we were paying the full price it wouldn't be worth it. On our Oct cruise we choose the promo UBP and are really excited.

BTW, for anyone who did purchase the package in the past for an upcoming cruise, my understanding, no you will not have to pay any gratuities. They are covered. The change is from now forward.

I hate people like that.

People will find anything to complain about. Even if you give them a free cruise they will still find something to complain about. It's in their DNA to be never happy and complain.

$136.... $11 dollar drinks comes to about 12 drinks for a 7 day cruise. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I'd have no problem paying that versus the couple hundred I'd have on my room bill.

$136.... $11 dollar drinks comes to about 12 drinks for a 7 day cruise. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I'd have no problem paying that versus the couple hundred I'd have on my room bill.

But you could get the 12 drinks for the same price without the "free" drink package. Unless you are a really big drinker (4 or more per day) this probably does not make good economical sense. Just buy the drinks as you go 1-2 per day and you are in the same place financially.

But you could get the 12 drinks for the same price without the "free" drink package. Unless you are a really big drinker (4 or more per day) this probably does not make good economical sense. Just buy the drinks as you go 1-2 per day and you are in the same place financially.

Ah yes. Sorry I never finished my thought!

If I have more than 12 drinks between the two of us in a cabin then it's a great deal! :) our bar bill is usually higher then I'd like to admit at the end of the cruise.

Just go to GS and subtract it from your DSC.

As much as you despise NCL, you might want to cancel any upcoming cruises you have with them. Penalty losses be damned, you are just going to be miserable and possibly affect others around you.